• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Vlad just isn't getting on base anymore. His hitting numbers are still decent though. I'm a big Damon homer, but I still think he is a great asset for most teams. Can still work spots in the outfield and he a great at bat.

How bout Derek Lee? He was a productive bat last year when he joined the Pirates. Been a productive guy before. I think hr has a nice year left in him.

Sanjuro

How bout Derek Lee? He was a productive bat last year when he joined the Pirates. Been a productive guy before. I think hr has a nice year left in him.

Eh, he is very limited. Unless he has a huge passion to continue to play the game, I doubt he will even play. I can't see him making more than two million at the most. Last year he made over seven. Unless someone has some extra bank and maybe looking for that DH position to have some pop.

Parch

Derek Lee would be an interesting choice.

Vladdy is probably my favorite hitter of all time, but I'm thinking he's done. He can probably hit for average, but the power drop is a concern and he's slow as hell now too.

If Damon can maintain a decent OBP he could bat leadoff or 2nd.

I just dread to think that the Blue Jays are going to use Edwin Encarnacion or an unproven kid in the DH position. These old timers should be available at a reasonable price so I want to see the Jays spend a bit more for a vet bat.

bryehn

Vladdy is probably my favorite hitter of all time, but I'm thinking he's done. He can probably hit for average, but the power drop is a concern and he's slow as hell now too.

I just dread to think that the Blue Jays are going to use Edwin Encarnacion or an unproven kid in the DH position. These old timers should be available at a reasonable price so I want to see the Jays spend a bit more for a vet bat.

You and me both pal. Both Damon and Vladdy would be a great fit given their experience in the division and both are potential fan favourites. Damon is one of those guys I say every year "hate that guy" when he gets a clutch hit against the Jays, but hate as in "I'd love to have that guy on our team". Adam Jones and Brett Gardener are in the same boat actually.

h3ro

I think the Burnett deal is holding up all these DH signings because of the Yankee vacancy with agents waiting to see if they fill that need via the trade or if they need to sign a FA.

Personally, I'd love to see Damon back. Vlad looks done. I haven't seen enough of Ibanez to know how he'd fit in, but Damon was amazing with the fans and in the clubhouse here.

Also, Sanjuro could bring back that fantastic Damon avatar. :D

Fenix

Edwin put up a .296/.361/.494 last year as a DH in just under 300 PAs. I'd be a billion times more comfortable with EE at DH than any of the other names that have been mentioned.

Parch

I share the same Damon dislike. That idiot has been torturing the Jays for years, but I'd gladly add him to the team now.

Damon can grow back the beard and spend half the game taunting the Yankees and Red Sox.

Doytch

Yeah...let's go and throw money at some old and washed-up 'veteran' instead of giving some ABs to a player who could break out [and has shown that he can] and be worth something at the deadline, in a year that we aren't making the playoffs anyway.

What?

bryehn

Yeah...let's go and throw money at some old and washed-up 'veteran' instead of giving some ABs to a player who could break out [and has shown that he can] and be worth something at the deadline, in a year that we aren't making the playoffs anyway.

What?

Hey, I'm havin' a kid really soon and the only way I'm allowed to go to TO for a Jays game this year is if they make the playoffs. They're totally making the playoffs, K?

Doytch

Hey, I'm havin' a kid really soon and the only way I'm allowed to go to TO for a Jays game this year is if they make the playoffs. They're totally making the playoffs, K?
This is also probably the only way I'll be flying back in Toronto during baseball season, so you get no sympathy, sir.

Parch

I'm all for realignment. The Blue Jays would kick ass in the National League. It really sucks being in a division where two of the teams always buy their playoff spot.

Fenix

Although at least I have the Natinals/Orilols nearby....and I guess the Durham Bulls are about as talented as the Orioles.
Must be nice, the only pro I've got out in Calgary is that East Coast games start right when I get off work.

Going to fly out and see a Miami game this summer though, hurrah.

Edit: ^^^ It's like everyone forgets about the Rays.

Don't know why Oswalt is posturing, brah has a bad back and was contemplating retirement. Brudda just sign with the Rangers, at least two of their starters will pitch themselves out of the rotation. Kazmir is throwing for teams in Houston today, five years from now Josh Johnson will be doing the same.

Parch

Rays will be good again and playoff expectations are real. They're another reason why the Jays need to get out of the AL East. It's not like the Blue Jays are lame either.
I need to smack around my Tiger-fan neighbor who insists the AL East is overrated.

Rays will be good again and playoff expectations are real. They're another reason why the Jays need to get out of the AL East. It's not like the Blue Jays are lame either.
I need to smack around my Tiger-fan neighbor who insists the AL East is overrated.
That Rays pitching staff is crazy. My favorite of the league. Solid 1-5.

DXV

Neo Member
OTryL.jpg

It's about that time.

I'm all for realignment. The Blue Jays would kick ass in the National League. It really sucks being in a division where two of the teams always buy their playoff spot.

Worked out smashingly for the Red Sox last year.

I'm not sure that realignment is necessary. I bet the AL East could be more competetive if Toronto and TB got new parks.

Carlbeego

Red Sox missed the postseason in 2010 and 2011.

Maybe if the Blue Jays would stop bending over for the Sox they could make the postseason like Tampa.

This reminds me of the game where Tim Hudson crushed a 2-run homer off Ricky Romero and the Braves won 2-0. :lol

Parch

I'm actually quite fond of the Blue Jays history with the Braves, especially the playoffs.

If realignment isn't going to happen, then they need to start working on that salary cap.

Malo

Banned
just four more days till we say "spring training games please" and then only till the end of february, start of march till we say "real games please".
I just want to hear the stories of how everyone is in their best shape of their lives.

I hate you

lupinko

Worked out smashingly for the Red Sox last year.

I'm not sure that realignment is necessary. I bet the AL East could be more competetive if Toronto and TB got new parks.

Rogers Centre has only been around since the late 80s, you still have Dodgers Stadium, Wrigley and Fenway all three of which have been around for eons.

The money complaints in the AL east arent really valid anymore due to the Rays finding ways around it. If the jays just played better then they'll get their due too.

Red Sox missed the postseason in 2010 and 2011.

Maybe if the Blue Jays would stop bending over for the Sox they could make the postseason like Tampa.

Nice one, rook.

Also, OH GOD PICTURES FROM PITCHERS AND CATCHERS.

Gentlemen, our time is almost at hand. Soon we will cast aside all irrelevant sports, and lie prostrate at the altar of the one true game.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Rogers Centre has only been around since the late 80s, you still have Dodgers Stadium, Wrigley and Fenway all three of which have been around for eons.

The money complaints in the AL east arent really valid anymore due to the Rays finding ways around it. If the jays just played better then they'll get their due too.

Not to mention that the Blue Jays could spend significantly more on their payrolls if they wanted to. Rogers got mad bank, they just don't want to put money into the payroll until it becomes necessary to maintain a winning product that is already on the field.

Parch

Not to mention that the Blue Jays could spend significantly more on their payrolls if they wanted to. Rogers got mad bank, they just don't want to put money into the payroll until it becomes necessary to maintain a winning product that is already on the field.
To a limit. They're not going to spend a quarter billion on a Pujols. The salary market has been unrealistically skewered by the elite few markets capable of doing it.

Even if the Jays were willing to spend on a reasonably priced FA, is it a good time to do it? How confident are they right now when they're up against Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays. Realignment would probably help loosen the purse strings when there's a little more confidence at a playoff shot. They're close.

Yup, I'm eager for some ball too. I like how they televise those early preseason games now. Completely meaningless with unknown minor leaguers, but just seeing MLB on TV means spring has arrived.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think most teams operate like any business, they try to make a profit so they budget accordingly. Of course there are exceptions.

lupinko

Pretty much this, besides Rogers already learned from the past, remember when JP spent money like crazy on Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, AJ Burnett, Frank Thomas and other pricey free agents?

Did that lead the Jays anywhere? Nope.

It takes time, and Rogers has shown it has that fat wallet, and if the winning product is there, they will spend money on it.

But yeah, Toronto fans should stop crying a river, the bluebirds will get good, eventually, just don't know when since sports is hella random like that.

I think most teams operate like any business, they try to make a profit so they budget accordingly. Of course there are exceptions.

I dunno really, Rogers (owners of the Jays) went out and bought a considerable stake in the Toronto Maple Leafs (and AHL affiliate Toronto Marlies), Toronto Raptors, and Toronto FC. Rogers certainly has money to blow like it doesn't give a fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom