• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Mets would like to trade Mike Pelfrey, sources say. However, the likelihood of finding a taker considering his abysmal spring and high salary seems remote. Pelfrey has a 14.90 ERA this spring.

Sources suggest the Mets aren't enamored wigth Pelfrey's salary (no surprise there, as he makes $5.6875 million) or his body language. "He gives off a deer-in-the-headlights look,'' one A.L. scout said.

Thee Mets could release Pelfrey and be responsible for only one-fourth his salary, but that doesn't seem especially likely, either. Pelfrey, 28, has allowed 20 hits in 9 2/3 this spring, which isn't easy to do. Last year he was 7-13 with a 4.74 ERA, and he came to camp saying he was determined to make amends for that.

"The best thing for him might be to get out of New York,'' one rival exec said.

And I'd like a pony.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'm in AZ this weekend. Went to angels vs brewers yesterday, and today angels vs rangers. Cool note, staying at the same hotel as a few NCAA teams so I'm mingling with players and coaches

Yeah, just as a reminder for the rest of the NEOGAF Baseball Yahoo head-to-head league...
Live draft is tomorrow, Sunday 5 PM EST

It's one of three drafts I have going tomorrow. Should be a fun day. Nothing but displays with numbers on them and endless cups of coffee.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: Madson needs Tommy John surgery, out for season. Marshall likely to close, Chapman back to bullpen.

Damn. Feel really bad for Chapman.

You guys have had it wrong this whole time. IT's not about ketchup vs mustard, because the best and only acceptable topping on hot dogs is chili anyway.

eznark

Banned
Champman is better off in the bullpen. Good lord, have you guys not watched him pitch? It would take him 150 pitches to go five innings.

Trying to force him into a starter role is absurd.

Sucks about Madson though. Wow. Pretty significant blow. Although, you have to think this probably saves Homer Bailey. It frees up a spot in the pen for him.

JABEE

heh, I was wondering why he didn't play the past few days. Over/Under on chipper playing in 100 games? I'll say under.

I honestly thought Chipper was going to announce his retirement now, not after he struggles through another season.

Also, tough break for Madson. He was a really good reliever for the Phillies and really important to their success the past 5 years. I hope he gets better and I'm glad the Phillies went Papelbon now, though I wish it was a better contract.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Champman is better off in the bullpen. Good lord, have you guys not watched him pitch? It would take him 150 pitches to go five innings.

Trying to force him into a starter role is absurd.

Sucks about Madson though. Wow. Pretty significant blow. Although, you have to think this probably saves Homer Bailey. It frees up a spot in the pen for him.

Have you watched him pitch? He's looked a lot better this spring, he's totally changed his approach. He's been throwing more strikes with lower velocity.

They just totally dicked him around. He's done nothing this spring to warrant not getting a shot at SP. Moving him back to the pen now is just terrible.

eznark

Banned
Have you watched him pitch? He's looked a lot better this spring, he's totally changed his approach. He's been throwing more strikes with lower velocity.

They just totally dicked him around. He's done nothing this spring to warrant not getting a shot at SP. Moving him back to the pen now is just terrible.

Thing is, he had no real reasonable expectation of making the starting rotation this Spring based on what the team has been saying. Since the end of last year when they said they wanted to make him a starter, they basically said he would need to spend a significant amount of time in AAA to build up his arm. Here in Cincinnati it's been a foregone conclusion that he would open in Louisville. This Spring has changed that a bit as no existing fifth has pitched particularly well, but I still think Baker doesn't want to be forced into a situation of using him.

As far as watching him this Spring...he has three non split-squad appearances. I'm not really prepared to draw conclusions from that.

well so much for new members of MLB-GAF.

Actually, that's my fear. Also, I usually click the "OT" button to see what sports topics have been updated, and I'll then see an interesting thread title and pop in. It's already threw off my gaf game a bit.

Community = The New OT.

2012- Year of Community.

Let's talk baseball.

Madson is a huge blow. I won't sugarcoat it. We are starting the year with no closer... but on the bright side, having watched Dusty for years, that title can be a barrier to good baseball strategy. We have to keep a dude in because of some ridiculous made-up stat like saves? I hate that.

Also, I don't want Chapman on the field. PERIOD. He was like Tebow for Reds fans... fans loved him, but he was comically bad when he took the mound last year, and we tried to shrug it off. He's unhittable every time, but it's either because he's blowing past batters, or more often because he can't hit the strike zone.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't get it. Years ago when the OT was created I thought the whole point of it was for sports and entertainment (ie TV/movies) and now we're out of the OT? Wtf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom