• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has a message for fans who think the designated hitter is on its way to the National League: Not so fast.

"The most likely result on the designated hitter for the foreseeable future is the status quo," Manfred said in an interview with ESPN.com in conjunction with his one-year anniversary as commissioner. "I think the vast majority of clubs in the National League want to stay where they are."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...eseeable-change-designated-hitter-rule-coming

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My new home. Do you guys like anime?

QDWIcBY.gif

I recently started major, it's a bit boring so far.

Ookiku Furikabutte is the superior series! Give it at least a couple episodes into their first practice game at the very least.

For some reason I cannot get into sports anime. As much as I love anime in general, I just can't get into sports anime. Not sure why. I did love the Gintama episode where they play soccer, but I love most Gintama episodes.

At the very least, there is always Hajime no Ippo.

Rommel

the intro stuff is slower and builds up the character and what not, it becomes more and more baseball focused with each passing season. If you aren't feeling it though you could just read a quick summery of season 1 and move to season 2 which picks up with him in highschool instead of grade school as that is the version of goro that we spend a lot more time with.

I prefer cross game to touch (couldn't get into touch) and they are by the same author. The baseball stuff often takes a back seat though which isn't a horrible thing, unless you want to watch baseball :p

Do any of the streaming services have Major? Can't seem to find it.

Malo

Banned
the intro stuff is slower and builds up the character and what not, it becomes more and more baseball focused with each passing season. If you aren't feeling it though you could just read a quick summery of season 1 and move to season 2 which picks up with him in highschool instead of grade school as that is the version of goro that we spend a lot more time with.

I prefer cross game to touch (couldn't get into touch) and they are by the same author. The baseball stuff often takes a back seat though which isn't a horrible thing, unless you want to watch baseball :p
I might just do that. The grade school part is boring and I'm not a big fan of the slice of love the show does. I really just want baseball, which is why I like ace of diamond so much.
QDWIcBY.gif

Ookiku Furikabutte is the superior series! Give it at least a couple episodes into their first practice game at the very least.

At the very least, there is always Hajime no Ippo.
I'll look into it.

Ippo is the GOAT sports anime.

XiaNaphryz

I might just do that. The grade school part is boring and I'm not a big fan of the slice of love the show does. I really just want baseball, which is why I like ace of diamond so much.

Ookiku has quite a bit of slice of life stuff inbetween games, but the practices and (especially) games themselves are full of baseball decisions - what the catcher is thinking in an at-bat as the count changes, what the hitter's thinking as he progresses through what the pitcher is throwing, the coaches thinking in the dugouts, etc.

When it comes to the actual in-game stuff, I find Ookiku the best of the baseball anime options and (for the most part) the most grounded - no real super powered abilities or moves. But as a result of showing all that stuff, one episode may only cover a few innings at a time for the games they really want to go in-depth on.

Beckx

slice of love

...that's an entirely different category I think

Ippo is the GOAT sports anime.

After Kuroko's Basketball, maybe. But then again that has super powers (even though it's more about the character drama) so probably off several of ya'll's lists.

The best part about Ace of the Diamond is the characters. I'm at the point where I want Yakushi to go to nationals because of how likable the characters are. And obviously I was rooting for Akikawa too.

Malo

Banned
Ookiku has quite a bit of slice of life stuff inbetween games, but the practices and (especially) games themselves are full of baseball decisions - what the catcher is thinking in an at-bat as the count changes, what the hitter's thinking as he progresses through what the pitcher is throwing, the coaches thinking in the dugouts, etc.

When it comes to the actual in-game stuff, I find Ookiku the best of the baseball anime options and (for the most part) the most grounded - no real super powered abilities or moves. But as a result of showing all that stuff, one episode may only cover a few innings at a time for the games they really want to go in-depth on.
You sold me. I'll check it out after major.
...that's an entirely different category I think

After Kuroko's Basketball, maybe. But then again that has super powers (even though it's more about the character drama) so probably off several of ya'll's lists.

The best part about Ace of the Diamond is the characters. I'm at the point where I want Yakushi to go to nationals because of how likable the characters are. And obviously I was rooting for Akikawa too.
Damn auto correct lol.

I like Kuroko but the super powers can be a bit too much at times.

Where can I read ace of diamond? I'm caught up with the anime and want more.

zulux21

Where can I read ace of diamond? I'm caught up with the anime and want more.

i really wouldn't bother.
the game that is just starting is the only thing you would really get with the manga as the series went on hiatus after that game and only recently came back so there really isn't much at all to read right now.

I would just wait out the rest of the game and then pick up the manga as even then you will only have like an hour of reading to be fully caught up. (I am expecting the series to end in 9 more eps or so, as otherwise the game would need to hit like 21 episodes which would be crazy @_@)

Ookiku Furikabutte is the superior series! Give it at least a couple episodes into their first practice game at the very least..

if you mean superior series at ruining chances for far better series to be licenced since it turned off funimation from sports series for a while than sure :p

otherwise while it's an alright series both ace and major are better. ookiku is a bit more grounded but i actively hate the main character. Main character of Ace is annoying at times but can be amusing... ookiku's is just pure annoying as the shy girl trope doesn't work as a main character of any show let alone as the male main character of a baseball anime :/

I will agree he does eventually get a little better, but the show would be better if the main character was replaced with generic pitcher 10 and it just focused on the catcher >.>

I can't get into Ookiku, the main character is just. So. Annoying. Good baseball anime since they spend 90% of it just playing baseball.

But he's SOOOOOOOOO annoying.

XiaNaphryz

if you mean superior series at ruining chances for far better series to be licenced since it turned off funimation from sports series for a while than sure :p

That's more on Funi then anything given the domestic market downswing accelerating at the time, for both the gamble on the license and their resulting decision on the sports genre.

I can't get into Ookiku, the main character is just. So. Annoying. Good baseball anime since they spend 90% of it just playing baseball.

But he's SOOOOOOOOO annoying.

Later in the first season and beyond it's a lot more manageable since the other characters get a lot more screentime. I ended up finding him more amusing than annoying by then.

Where's NomarTyme??? I need more Ookiku defenders, even if he's a Doyers fan. :p

zulux21

Please lord, let any teams make any trade tomorrow.

it would be nice if there was some more movement on stuff.
I mean feb is just around the corner so soon we will have training camps at least.

I can't wait for the season to start so the white sox can surprise people with their current team and ultimately win the world series :p

it would be nice if there was some more movement on stuff.
I mean feb is just around the corner so soon we will have training camps at least.

I can't wait for the season to start so the white sox can surprise people with their current team and ultimately win the world series :p

Funny joke. It's an even year. You know how that ends.

zulux21

Funny joke. It's an even year. You know how that ends.

the deal with Satan was only for 3 times. the 4th will not happen :p
we already saw the curse weakening in 2014 when they didn't have enough oomph to win the division (the deal clearly had just enough power to let them finish the 3 though)

Beckx

Aren't we supposed to get a new Power Pros next year?

More hyped about that!

DTtrTwz.jpg

It's this year!!!! ("Spring")

I am soooo hyped for PS4 Power Pros. I lost so much time to Power Pros 2014, though most of that was in the high school management mode and sadly that's not back this year.

If 2014 had a flaw, it was the FTP aspects around Success Mode. This year they're just up and splitting that off into a separate FTP game. Power Pros created in that game can be imported over to the main game.

Gematsu translation of early info: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/first-look-jikkyou-powerful-pro-baseball-2016-success-special

Website with pics: http://www.konami.jp/pawa/2016/ & http://www.konami.jp/pawa/success_sp/index.html

pfes01_04.jpg

XiaNaphryz

It's this year!!!! ("Spring")

I am soooo hyped for PS4 Power Pros. I lost so much time to Power Pros 2014, though most of that was in the high school management mode and sadly that's not back this year.

If 2014 had a flaw, it was the FTP aspects around Success Mode. This year they're just up and splitting that off into a separate FTP game. Power Pros created in that game can be imported over to the main game.

Gematsu translation of early info: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/first-look-jikkyou-powerful-pro-baseball-2016-success-special

Website with pics: http://www.konami.jp/pawa/2016/ & http://www.konami.jp/pawa/success_sp/index.html

pfes01_04.jpg

Sounds like you should make the OT for the game when it hits. I made the OTs for the original MLB Power Pro as well as the 2008 game, someone else can do this next one. ;P

Beckx

Sounds like you should make the OT for the game when it hits. I made the OTs for the original MLB Power Pro as well as the 2008 game, someone else can do this next one. ;P

Making an OT for a game that like 3 people outside of Japan will play seems like a bad time though.
:/

Top Bottom