• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Beckx

Softbank Hawks 3B Nobuhiro Matsuda declared international FA. Padres are interested. I'll post his stats later. I'll be surprised if he signs though.

2015:

HR - 35
2B - 22
K - 135
OBP - .357
OPS - .889
ISO - .246
AB/HR - 15.59
PA/K - 4.47
SecA - .356

Power hitting 3B who strikes out a ton. (NPB uses a dead ball, also.)

harSon

Banned
2015:

HR - 35
2B - 22
K - 135
OBP - .357
OPS - .889
ISO - .246
AB/HR - 15.59
PA/K - 4.47
SecA - .356

Power hitting 3B who strikes out a ton. (NPB uses a dead ball, also.)

Isn't that basically Park's scouting report, minus the difference in position?

Beckx

Isn't that basically Park's scouting report, minus the difference in position?

I assume his chances will be hurt because recent Japanese position players haven't seen as much success.

I really want Matsuda to sign to weaken the Hawks though.

-----

Also, has this been posted? Park got rid of his bat flips in Sept because he was advised to do so "to get ready for MLB."

Pretty sad. Basically: "Watch out, we've got a lot of old racists here."

I work customer service for a major car insurance company. A few weeks ago, a top level scout for the Diamondbacks called and had to make a claim.

I was so tempted to ask him what he thought of the Toussaint trade...

Twins got a monster power hitter. Sano will likely cycle through 3B/LF/DH.

Great, great get for the Twins. This probably spells the end to Trevor Plouffe in Minne. Park can play any of the three bases, but he's a natural 3B, he'll DH when Sano plays the field and vice versa with Sano rotating into LF as needed. They wouldn't have done this if they couldn't make it work.

That infield has ridiculous power.

I work customer service for a major car insurance company. A few weeks ago, a top level scout for the Diamondbacks called and had to make a claim.

I was so tempted to ask him what he thought of the Toussaint trade...

i work for insurance here in ny. I handled Richard Kotite's property claim a year back. dude didn't want me to tell anyone, still embarrassed about how bad shit went

BigAT

Why would The Yankees trade a weapon like Miller? Or did they forget that our starters are suspect and our lineup is ass?

I think it's just a "we'll listen to offers on anyone" comment being blown up into a story for no reason during a particularly quiet part of the offseason.

Gigglepoo

Are there rumors/theories that Ken Griffey Jr. was on steroids and that's why his body broke down? Or is he just considered clean by virtually everyone?

Like Koji wasn't a weapon when The Sox won that championship? smh

And like the Red Sox didn't hang on to Koji for too long after that year and lose out on getting value for him because of how good he was on a team going nowhere? Your team is rebuilding and the very nature of the closer position means they are notoriously unreliable from one year to the next. Hell just look at what happened to Betances down the stretch where he was overworked to hell and lost his effectiveness.

Sanjuro

Like Koji wasn't a weapon when The Sox won that championship? smh

You don't invest in relief pitching. It's really as simple as that.

If the Yankees can move Miller to a team that is built to contend and needs that insurance, then they should try and get whatever they can. Miller has looked real solid for some time, but he is still a member of the broken toys as I call them. It's really hard to price them as a premium at the professional level.

Koji had no business remaining on this Red Sox team either of the last two seasons.

jbug617

Banned
Maeda likely going be posted but not until the end of the month
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...t-to-sign-japanese-pitcher-kenta-maeda-110915

As Major League Baseball general managers meet here this week to begin the Hot Stove season, one coveted pitcher remains off limits — for now.

While right-hander Kenta Maeda is likely to be available to MLB clubs this winter, the Hiroshima Toyo Carp — his team in the Japanese Central League — have yet to announce publicly that Maeda will be posted. A formal decision isn’t expected until after Maeda and Team Japan complete their participation in the WBSC Premier 12 international tournament, which concludes Nov. 21.

Maeda’s statistics in Nippon Professional Baseball are similar to those Masahiro Tanaka compiled before joining the New York Yankees, although Maeda (unlike Tanaka) has enjoyed the advantage of pitching in the Japanese league without the designated hitter.

Under posting rules revised after the 2013 season, any MLB team would be able to sign Maeda as long as it paid a $20 million release fee. The timing could be advantageous for Maeda to jump to MLB now, with large-market teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers and Giants all interested in rotation upgrades.

Mae-Ken is likely a Cub when it's all said and done.

Pirates might make some noise for him though, along with the usual players (Sox, Yanks, Doyers) of course.

When is Dae Ho-Lee signing? I just want him to be on a playoff team so that he can hit a walk off bomb and everyone says "DAE HO-LEE SHIT!"

cashman

Banned
I just realized that Stras really is going to just end up being this decades Mark Prior.

Their arm actions are preeeeetty similar.

StephenStrasburg_001.jpg

Video_Pitching_MarkPrior_USC_3B_001_29.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Alex Reyes just got hit with a 50 game suspension for using a "drug of abuse." Weed maybe? That policy is so outdated.

jbug617

Banned
Trader Dave getting to work.

Dombrowski, they said, has been engaging in regular conversations regarding trades and is said to be eager to change the look of the Red Sox, particularly the pitching staff, after two consecutive last-place finishes.

“I think people could be surprised,” one National League general manager said. “Dave has some definite ideas about what he wants to do. There has been a lot of activity already involving [the Red Sox.]”

Malo

Banned
Wallace Matthews @ESPNNYYankees: Cashman on CC's spot in 2016 rotation: "We'll see. I'm not guaranteeing anybody anything.''

Idontbelieveyou.gif

jbug617

Banned
Dombrowski is talking to the local press at the meetings. He said there is a lot of chatter going on at the meetings between teams. He said he thought he was close to a deal but if fell through.

I wonder who from the farm system getting asked for.
@PeteAbe: Dombrowski said #RedSox could trade from prospect depth while still maintaining a solid farm system. Said interest in their players is high
@bradfo: When asked if there was a lot of interest in Red Sox minor leaguers, Dombrowski said: 'Yes, I will say that unequivocally'

Malo

Banned
Zach Klein @ZachKleinWSB: Per multiple sources, former #Braves pitcher Tommy Hanson is in a coma at local Atl. hospital. Working to get more details

Whoa

Beckx

Kyodo News baseball writer Jim Allen has an interesting take on whether Maeda gets posted: it comes down to Hiroki Kuroda.

Rumor has it Kuroda is considering retiring; if he retires, Allen thinks there's no way the Carp post Maeda this year, because the Carp rotation will then have two major holes to fix.

It is pretty funny that all these US articles are getting written about him with zero information available about whether he's actually available.

Top Bottom