• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

mAEwoxM.png

:looool

Oh my god it's going to be such a trainwreck.

I love it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
This years draft might be the best in the last 5 years. Just incredible depth and projections all around.

The Mets have a chance at Alex Speas and he's a kid that would be getting top-10 projections in other drafts.
Decent year to pick #3. Much better than last year.

BumRush

Anyone here read "The bad guys won" about the mets 1986 season? Absolutely amazing read for any fan of the team or 80s era baseball in general.

Parch

This years draft might be the best in the last 5 years. Just incredible depth and projections all around.
Player development techniques in the minors have improved significantly over the last 10 years. Science in effect.

The old school philosophy that you can teach pitchers control and movement but not velocity is ancient history. The amount of arms throwing 95+ now is significantly higher. Science is working it's magic on pitching mechanics and batting swings.

Beckx

The importance of data & analytics to Searage Magic

Q: How much time do you spend looking at analytical data these days?

Ray: In the beginning, I'll tell you Dave, I bucked it. I didn't really like it, because this was something different and I tended to back off and say no, no, no. As we continued to go on through the years here, now I embrace it. Now it is really good stuff, especially the consistency of where the pitches come out of the hand. You can tell the different spots, where the fastball is, where the curveball is, where the change-up is. One of the guys that was the most consistent was A.J. Burnett. He would have an area where he dropped his fastball, his curveball and his change-up all came out the same area. And you looked at another guy, I'm just going to call him Joe Smith right now, and there would be three different areas with the fastball, the change-up and the breaking pitch. We found out the more consistent you could get to that one realize point, with the Trackman, and find these things out, the less time the hitter has to figure out what pitch is coming. And then it all comes down to execution, and I don't want to make that sound trivial, but it comes down to execution of your pitch. If you have a consistent release point on those three pitches it gives you an added advantage.

Part I of Interview up here: http://banginonthebucs.blogspot.com/2016/02/part-i-of-my-conversation-with-pirates.html?spref=tw (spoiler: Searage wants to remain with Pirates when his deal is up this year)

BumRush

#3 for the mets without addressing speed on the bp, defense up the middle and bullpen? Man, I'm not sure. I mean, improving the offense and not giving up much of anything is amazing, but we still have weaknesses.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
#3 for the mets without addressing speed on the bp, defense up the middle and bullpen? Man, I'm not sure. I mean, improving the offense and not giving up much of anything is amazing, but we still have weaknesses.

I was surprised to see them that high.

wbsmcs

Bautista playing hard ball

Uh oh...

About a week ago I was listening to FAN590 and people were calling in to give their opinion if the Jays had to pick one of Edwin or Bautista. Everyone was saying Bautista, given that he could actually probably play RF for 2-3 more years before moving to DH.

They would probably be looking for similar length, somewhere around 6-7 years I would think? And I could easily see them asking for Chris Davis money (23+ million a year). It does scare me paying Bautista that much when he's 40+, but if you want him for the next 2-3 years you'll have to do it.

I hope they keep at least one, or hopefully Tulo starts raking again and stays healthy all year
lol

wbsmcs

I don't know how much he thinks he's going to get. He's going to be 36. I'd be wary of giving him even 4 years.

Probably going to be an AL team looking to get him. And I can't really think of many that would give him a long term deal. Off the top of my head: Boston, maybe Yankees but I doubt it, Tigers, Angels, Rangers, Mariners?. Probably a 5 year/ $120mil

Would NL teams even consider it? They could probably stick him at first base for the last 2 years.

Top Bottom