• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malvingt2

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The Angels gave up their best pitching prospect, Sean Newcomb, to get Andrelton Simmons. Both sides did well.

really? why I don't feel that way.

:(

BFIB

Top rated defender at SS, kind of an underpay.I get that Simmons bat isn't the best, but his metrics for SS are not even close when it comes to defensive runs saved.

jbug617

Banned
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The Angels gave up their best pitching prospect, Sean Newcomb, to get Andrelton Simmons. Both sides did well.

really? why I don't feel that way.

:(

Because Simmons is the best player in the deal right now. Braves are rebuilding. When do they shop Freeman?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Why would they make the Angels better? :/

Oh, looks like Colby is going to accept the QO.

I see that was discussed. Not really happy about it tbh. I'll have to see what they do next.

The Barves got the ass end big time on that deal. Newcomb has ace potential, but it's only potential. A replacement SS and a back end pitcher aren't the guys you trade for the best defensive SS in baseball.

So glad he's gone, though.

BFIB

So the Braves act of rebuilding is to take the premiere defender in RF, and the premiere defender at SS, who are young, and package them off?

Wow Dee Gordon wins the NL 2B Silver Slugger award. What a hell of a season he had.

Edit: He is the first infielder to ever win the Silver Slugger, batting title, Gold Glove, and stolen base crown in one season. The only other guy to do it was Ichiro in 2001.

So the Braves act of rebuilding is to take the premiere defender in RF, and the premiere defender at SS, who are young, and package them off?

Heyward wasn't coming back. No earthly idea why you give up on Simmons. He's on a relatively good deal for the rebuilding process and you can't just replace that defense. Sure you might get a guy who's bat is a bit better (though with the current state of the position I find that doubtful), but there is nobody even in his stratosphere defensively.

Wonder if this opens up Baez to the Braves possibilities.

I would be interested in Baez for Teheran+ if possible.

Baez to the Mets makes way more sense right now, considering we inquired about Simmons.

No idea what package we'd throw together for him though.

You know what could be the worst thing ever? Braves going after Starlin Castro because why the heck not?

"His offense is so much better!"

If they draw 12K a game average I'd be stunned. Who is on that team, right now, to go see?

Friggz

The Barves got the ass end big time on that deal. Newcomb has ace potential, but it's only potential. A replacement SS and a back end pitcher aren't the guys you trade for the best defensive SS in baseball.

So glad he's gone, though.

There is a good chance that simmons offense gets worse without a pitcher hitting behind him. hes also not exactly a small dude, one his defense starts to go, hes useless.

I actually dont mind this deal for the braves.

Malvingt2

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez
Those I've heard from throughout the industry do not like this deal for the Angels. Feel they gave up too much. Time will tell.

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
Baseball America's John Manuel tells me Newcomb will move into No. 1 prospect slot with #Braves

I don't think it's a bad deal at all from the Braves, obviously contingent on Newcomb panning out. Bad teams selling high on their good players isn't the worst strategy in the world.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So unless I'm forgetting some names, our SP depth chart right now is:

Majors:
Julio Teheran
Shelby Miller
Matt Wisler
Mike Foltynewicz
Manny Banuelos
(Mike Minor)
Williams Perez

Upper Minors:
Tyrell Jenkins
Sean Newcomb
Lucas Sims
Zach Bird
Chris Ellis
John Gant

Lower Minors:
Touki Toussaint
Max Fried
Rob Whalen
Kolby Allard
Mike Soroka
Ricardo Sanchez
Max Povse

And they'll probably take one of Jason Groome or Riley Pint in the draft.

Well then.

Wow Dee Gordon wins the NL 2B Silver Slugger award. What a hell of a season he had.

Edit: He is the first infielder to ever win the Silver Slugger, batting title, Gold Glove, and stolen base crown in one season. The only other guy to do it was Ichiro in 2001.
Gordon is RYU Wins Co-Fantasy Baseball MVP!!! Along with Goldie

Angels fans are pretty upset about the Angels trading their best prospects for Simmons. I was particularly shocked how Sean Newcomb was so easily dealt away.

I'm indifferent about the trade as it makes the Angels very good, but it comes at the expense of a young pitcher who can potentially be an ace. I don't think young SPs should ever get traded.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
And the offensive side of the farm has:

Mallex Smith
Rio Ruiz
Dustin Peterson
Connor Lien
Ozzie Albies
Braxton Davidson
Ronald Acuna
Austin Riley
Lucas Herbert
Isranel Wilson
Juan Yepez
Leudys Baez
Justin Ellison

And they'll probably get Kevin Maitan in July.

Set up nicely to have the top farm in baseball this time next year. Probably #3 or 4 right now.

Colby Rasmus is the first player ever to accept a qualifying offer. He is now signed to a 1-year, $15.8 million deal with the Astros for 2016.

BFIB

If I were to ever pick one player who would have done it. It would have been Rasmus.

Dude is nuts.

Yep.

ColbyRasmusRoman_coamgpr4_aw1pydgs.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
At least it's only one year, I guess.

I'd still rather have Tucker/Gomez/Springer than Rasmus out there.

Unless they are planning to put Tucker at 1B/DH. (which he would learn how to play, but I'm fine with him being the DH)

Now, go get Bob's Boxberger

Colby Rasmus is at the age (29)that whatever contract he would have gotten this year will probably be there again next year, but he sort of is what he is at this point. Another "Colby Rasmus" esque season isn't going to do much for his value.

Malvingt2

Andrelton Simmons ‏@Andrelton
A big Thank You to all the braves fans for all their support throughout these last couple of years.

This one hurt a lot.

Top Bottom