• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

rekameohs

Banned
That first year in the new stadium is sure gonna be something for the Braves.

Those highlight reels between Simmons and Trout will be great.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well, the 2016 braves are going to be hard to watch. Don't know much about the two pitchers but all the anaylists say Newcomb is now the best pitching prospect in the system, which is nice. Fair deal, was expecting a bigger one though since they didn't have to trade him.

To be honest, they should trade Freeman. Never liked that contract.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Well, the 2016 braves are going to be hard to watch. Don't know much about the two pitchers but all the anaylists say Newcomb is now the best pitching prospect in the system, which is nice. Fair deal, was expecting a bigger one though since they didn't have to trade him.

To be honest, they should trade Freeman. Never liked that contract.
I'd rather move Miller since it's looking less and less likely that the team will be good in 2017.

Windu

I guess if aybar has a better year on the defensive side of the game which he has a history of the deal should be fine. I guess the braves think Albies will be ready sooner rather than later.

Still, Simmons's defense was the best thing to watch about 2015's team. Now what?

Edit: of course it only works out if newcomb is the real deal...trust in the braves scouting and development system I guess..

RBH

I don't even know about the Braves anymore.

Like........what exactly is the end game here?

Trading Simmons makes zero sense to me. Sure, Albies is doing well in the minors, but he's not a sure thing. Simmons is a sure thing and cost-controlled for numerous years, and we just give up on that.

zroid

Banned
Jays nearing 2 year deal $25-29 million for Estrada per Sherman

beaten: I like it

Just need 1 more starter now

i was hoping for something a bit cheaper but eh

actually I saw a good idea on twitter that they should offer him like $20M over 2 yrs with a 3rd year $12M option / $4M buyout. so $24M guaranteed.

Almost $30M for an old FB pitcher coming off a career year?

Eeeeeeeeh.

Trading Simmons makes zero sense to me. Sure, Albies is doing well in the minors, but he's not a sure thing. Simmons is a sure thing and cost-controlled for numerous years, and we just give up on that.

Get as many prospects as possible and hope you hit on enough of them to be good in 5 years.

CygnusXS

The thinking is that defense peaks early, so his glove will only be in decline. He'll probably never hit well, and his contract is really backloaded. Additionally, the shortstop market is really thin right now and demand is far outstripping supply. They talked to half the teams in baseball and no one wanted to give up an impact bat for Simmons, so they took what they felt the best deal was.

I don't know if they really needed to make this trade. It does suggest that they're not really operating with a cohesive plan, but rather just grabbing as many talented players as possible and they'll try to figure out the roster later. It's basically a fair trade, but I really don't know how they're going to put the roster together now in time to be competitive before 2019. This will probably be another busy winter for them.

cashman

Banned
I feel like the Braves can do better than only getting Newcomb for 5 years of Simmons. Just gotta see how he Newcombe pans out I guess.

CygnusXS

Mark Bowman
‏@mlbbowman
The #Braves had a chance to get Luis Severino when the Yanks wanted Simmons last winter. They didn't want to miss on another potential ace.

no comment

Malo

Banned
no comment
Thank fuck that didn't happen. So, from Severino to Newcomb? Talk about lowered expectations.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan: Braves listened on Andrelton Simmons last year, too. Talked an absolute blockbuster with Yankees that would've also included Justin Upton.

I wonder who else was in the proposal for the Yankees.

RBH

The thinking is that defense peaks early, so his glove will only be in decline. He'll probably never hit well, and his contract is really backloaded. Additionally, the shortstop market is really thin right now and demand is far outstripping supply. They talked to half the teams in baseball and no one wanted to give up an impact bat for Simmons, so they took what they felt the best deal was.

I don't know if they really needed to make this trade. It does suggest that they're not really operating with a cohesive plan, but rather just grabbing as many talented players as possible and they'll try to figure out the roster later. It's basically a fair trade, but I really don't know how they're going to put the roster together now in time to be competitive before 2019. This will probably be another busy winter for them.

Hit the nail on the head.

And that pisses me off almost more than anything.

Aside from the fact that we just traded the best defensive shortstop in the game since Ozzie Smith.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Gotta get that roster ready for the new stadium so all the fans will get PSLs and season tickets!

Angels fans are pretty upset about the Angels trading their best prospects for Simmons. I was particularly shocked how Sean Newcomb was so easily dealt away.

I'm indifferent about the trade as it makes the Angels very good, but it comes at the expense of a young pitcher who can potentially be an ace. I don't think young SPs should ever get traded.

There's No Such Thing as a Pitching Prospect

CygnusXS

Hit the nail on the head.

And that pisses me off almost more than anything.

Aside from the fact that we just traded the best defensive shortstop in the game since Ozzie Smith.

I don't want to judge them too harshly right now, just because they've shown themselves to be both creative and persistent, and there's a lot of time between now and spring 2017. And on the financial side, the only players that they owe guaranteed money to in 2017 and beyond now are Freeman, Teheran, Markakis, and Olivera. They have the resources in both prospects and money to put together an interesting team in the next couple years, so we need to give them some more time.

Aybar has been a much loved staple of the Angels for awhile. It hurt when we traded Kendrick and this hurts too. It is a huge gamble but Simmons numbers can't be scoffed at. Guess we'll see in a few years where Newcomb is and if it bites us in the ass.

Well, if the Braves are going to have great prospects, it's easier and cheaper for me to drive to double-A Mississippi.

...I'm still a little upset about this. Like others have said, there doesn't appear to be a plan here.

zulux21

i was hoping for something a bit cheaper but eh

actually I saw a good idea on twitter that they should offer him like $20M over 2 yrs with a 3rd year $12M option / $4M buyout. so $24M guaranteed.

the current rumor already doesn't make much sense that would be just silly.

Estrada was issued a qualifying offer by the Jays, meaning he can take a $15.8MM salary for a one-year term.

I don't get why you would lock yourself down for much less than 15.8 per season you were already offered o_O

at least with the rumor you are just taking a bit of a discount over 2 years to get that second year at near 15.8 mil... taking 20 mil for two years would just cost you money unless you are banking on your arm falling off as even if he has a garbage season you can easily get 4 mil as a major league starter o_O

zroid

Banned
the current rumor already doesn't make much sense that would be just silly.

I don't get why you would lock yourself down for much less than 15.8 per season you were already offered o_O

at least with the rumor you are just taking a bit of a discount over 2 years to get that second year at near 15.8 mil... taking 20 mil for two years would just cost you money unless you are banking on your arm falling off as even if he has a garbage season you can easily get 4 mil as a major league starter o_O

well to be fair his track record is not necessarily a proven major league starter outside of 2015; dude kinda bounced around between starter and reliever before. and the idea was $24M over 2 years (effectively) or $32M over 3. so if Estrada took the QO then he'd be banking on being able to get at least $8M for 2017 on his own. I think it's reasonable... ish. Would be open to a bit more tho. Well if the rumoured amount is legit hopefully it's on the lower end of the $24-29M range :lol

3N16MA

Banned
Yanks interested in Chen. He is a decent middle of the rotation arm at best but I'm not crazy about the Yanks going after him. I feel Warren could be Chen if given the chance. He was pretty much on par with Chen last season as a starter and throughout his career.

Chen will 31 next July and Warren 29 next August. Warren is team controlled for another 3 years.

well to be fair his track record is not necessarily a proven major league starter outside of 2015; dude kinda bounced around between starter and reliever before. and the idea was $24M over 2 years (effectively) or $32M over 3. so if Estrada took the QO then he'd be banking on being able to get at least $8M for 2017 on his own. I think it's reasonable... ish. Would be open to a bit more tho. Well if the rumoured amount is legit hopefully it's on the lower end of the $24-29M range :lol

It's like when they signed Bautista, hopefully :p

I sincerely hope that we retain Estrada, but the cost is worrying. He had a great season, and I could see $20 million, but we need some of that money for an ace FFS.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
600 Chris Denorfia bobbleheads found dumped in the street:

Several roommates were miffed when 600 bobbleheads bearing the face of a former Padres player mysteriously turned up near their doorstep in University City, San Diego.

Now they're resorting to handing them out as party favors.

The woman who answered the phone at the San Diego Police Department told Philip Jia it was the strangest call she’d ever received.

Jia and a handful of his young 20-something roommates in University City asked if an officer could come out and take a look at the items someone dumped in the middle of their condo complex street.

Hundreds of Padres bobbleheads littered the pavement and they all had the same face.

9C5bFe0.png

I'm guessing the Braves don't like interdivisional trades by the way they dealt with the Mets over Simmons. It's not like they got Harvey or DeGrom value.

Windu

I'm guessing the Braves don't like interdivisional trades by the way they dealt with the Mets over Simmons. It's not like they got Harvey or DeGrom value.
they traded with the mets at the deadline. The mets just didn't want to match the braves asking price. (Conforto and Matz).

3N16MA

Banned
Makes complete sense for Wieters. He is 30 and coming off two injury plagues seasons. Take the 15.8M and rebuild value in 2016. Hit the market at 31 and grab a better contract.

Wieters accepting is surprising. He could have gotten a bigger deal then that.

These guy are looking at AAV and not just the total contract.

3N16MA

Banned
Trade Miller for a nice haul.
Sign O'day for 3 years at a smaller total contract and AAV than Miller or 3/27 if necessary.
Move Betances to the closer role to reduce his innings a bit and O'Day is the setup man.

Arizona seems to be interested in Miller.

Top Bottom