• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Here's my quick and dirty hopes for the rest of the offseason:
  • trade Miller or Teheran for a pre-arb 3B
  • trade Maybin and Markakis for salary relief
  • sign Heyward
  • trade some arms for a pre-arb catcher
  • sign Kazmir

Gives you a mild chance at contention in 2017 without sacrificing too much.

I've lived in Denver my entire life, fair weather fans they are not.

You are wrong, and I still love you.

Who fucking cares about either the Chiefs or the Broncos. Football is stupid, take it outside.

Touché. Go World Series Champion Royals!

Forgetting the KC Kings before they moved to Sacramento?

Selectively, haha. Wasn't that in 1983? I was 2. I might cheer for them if their ownership wasn't Douchebags R Us. And they stopped the Sonics from returning a couple of years ago.

jbug617

Banned
According to Gammons about Price. Price might want the NL

Yes, but Price has let a half-dozen teams—the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants included—know that he’d liked to pitch for them. American League? Remember, if one signs with the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays or Orioles, it guarantees that he has to make 22-25 starts in Fenway, Yankee Stadium, the Rogers Centre or Camden Yards, arguably four of the five or six most hitter friendly parks in the American League, where there are no pitchers hitting.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Xia- that list you mention includes you. You root for the Warriors. They ain't San Fran.. :p

Shows what you know, I root for the Spurs!

Mainly because I picked them up after David Robinson was drafted. Navy families move around a lot until active duty is dropped.

Price should take a cut and come to the Ravine. Get to play for the greatest baseball team in the world.

Kershaw, Greinke, Price, and Ryu would be amazing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yesterday, I got to go in the Nationals clubhouse and the Presidents Club. Part of the Season TIcket Holder plan. (don't have season tickets, Sister's co-worker gave their ticket to us). It was some kind of photo day.

Anyway, pictures below of the clubhouse and president's club. As well as my nephews and sister/brother-in-law.

I was tempted to wear all my Braves gear but I was nice and decided not to class up the place.

Long Hall Way with Photos of former players among other things:
YxyfAAY.jpg

Bkw1slN.jpg

C9f3ogl.jpg

8LlSecy.jpg

TJioz7J.jpg
Entering the clubhouse:
DIdnt' take a picture of it but next to that schedule was a photo of every ump with their names. Have to learn to be nice to them! Robot Umps Please.

Clubhouse (empty clubhouse) (video: http://1drv.ms/1SRWEJH):

Small Hallway with a few photos of players and then you enter the medical area:

Back out into a long hall way and into the press room where they are announcing Bryce Harper has been traded to the Braves for a Chipotle Burrito Bowl.

And back down the original hallway and toward the President's Club. Sadly they were not serving alcohol. From here you can walk out to the seats behind home plate and watch the batting cages. (video: http://1drv.ms/1SRWXEh)

And from the President's Club you can go to the home plate seats:

CygnusXS

You can really feel the history in that park. All those pics of 2011 Steven Strasburg on the walls, man, it takes me back.

Windu

You can really feel the history in that park. All those pics of 2011 Steven Strasburg on the walls, man, it takes me back.
There is a photo outside the stadium of the back of a fan's jersey, said "since 05". LIFELONG.

CygnusXS

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of...oles-pursue-a-reunion-with-nick-markakis.html
In case you lost count, the Orioles are in the market for two outfielders this winter. Not just one.

They would like to re-sign Gerardo Parra and plug him into right field, but it naturally depends on how many years and dollars he can milk from the market.

Here's a thought: What about Nick Markakis?

His name came up yesterday during the "Wall to Wall Baseball" show on MASN and it made for a fun debate.

It isn't unanimous, but there are people in the organization with interest in at least talking to the Braves about Markakis, who has three years and $33 million remaining on his contract. He's due to make $11 million in each of the next three seasons.

It's not clear whether the rebuilding Braves would consider moving Markakis, though it makes even more sense now after they shipped Gold Glove shortstop Andrelton Simmons to the Angels for shortstop Erick Aybar, top pitching prospects Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis, and minor league catcher Jose Briceno.

Someone will need to explain to me how Markakis, a 10-year veteran, fits on a team heading in this direction. Unless he's supposed to be the bearded face of the new ballpark, which is set to open in 2017.
Make it happen, Coppy!

Windu

http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/11/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
. Officials from three different clubs told me that the Braves have indeed shopped first baseman Freddie Freeman, with one saying such a possibility was "the talk of the (Arizona) Fall League" among scouts about 10 days ago.

The Braves, another official says, are "shopping everyone owed money" - a group that would include right-hander Julio Teheran, right fielder Nick Markakis and center fielder Cameron Maybin, among others.
iaKH22J.gif

CygnusXS

My initial thought is that Liberty Media has decided recently to sell the Braves and they're pressuring the FO to run minimal payrolls. The Braves owe LM several hundred million dollars that they invested in the new stadium project, so LM probably wants that off the books before they sell the team. The SunTrust/Battery development has likely added significant value to the franchise, so it's a good time for LM to cash out.

If LM has just recently changed the orders to the FO, it would explain the conflicting moves of getting Markakis and Olivera and now, apparently, going full salary dump. Also kind of explains why the Braves took so little for Simmons. They needed to move his salary more than they needed to get prospect value back.

This is just wild speculation though.

Malo

Banned
Are the braves going to start taking position players back in these trades? Or are they going to be the first team in history to have a 25 man roster of just pitchers?

CygnusXS

Are the braves going to start taking position players back in these trades? Or are they going to be the first team in history to have a 25 man roster of just pitchers?

They won't rest until they have every pitcher in the Top 100 lists.

CygnusXS

gondeee
‏@gondeee
More immediate candidate to be moved is Teheran, where Braves have reportedly talked w/ multiple clubs & are looking for 3 to 4 prospects.

Where's that bravesfansuicide.jpg?

RBH

Yesterday, I got to go in the Nationals clubhouse and the Presidents Club. Part of the Season TIcket Holder plan. (don't have season tickets, Sister's co-worker gave their ticket to us). It was some kind of photo day.

Anyway, pictures below of the clubhouse and president's club. As well as my nephews and sister/brother-in-law.

I was tempted to wear all my Braves gear but I was nice and decided not to class up the place.

Long Hall Way with Photos of former players among other things:

Entering the clubhouse:

DIdnt' take a picture of it but next to that schedule was a photo of every ump with their names. Have to learn to be nice to them! Robot Umps Please.

Clubhouse (empty clubhouse) (video: http://1drv.ms/1SRWEJH):

Small Hallway with a few photos of players and then you enter the medical area:

Back out into a long hall way and into the press room where they are announcing Bryce Harper has been traded to the Braves for a Chipotle Burrito Bowl.

And back down the original hallway and toward the President's Club. Sadly they were not serving alcohol. From here you can walk out to the seats behind home plate and watch the batting cages. (video: http://1drv.ms/1SRWXEh)

And from the President's Club you can go to the home plate seats:

Awesome photos man, I'm jealous. Regardless of the team, it's so cool to get that kind of behind the scenes access.

Braves remaining multi-year financial commitments:

Freddie Freeman - 6 years, $118.5 million (salary takes a huge jump from $12 million in 2016 to $20.5 million in 2017)
Hector Olivera - 5 years, $32.5 million
Nick Markakis - 3 years, $31.5 million
Julio Teheran - 4 years, $28.6 million
Cameron Maybin - 2 years, $15 million
Dian Toscano - 3 years, $3.8 million

Edit: Braves GM John Coppolella has responded to Rosenthal's column, saying, "We have had zero trade discussions involving Freddie Freeman or Julio Teheran." Although he didn't deny they were untouchable.

Braves remaining multi-year financial commitments:

Freddie Freeman - 6 years, $118.5 million (salary takes a huge jump from $12 million in 2016 to $20.5 million in 2017)
Hector Olivera - 5 years, $32.5 million
Nick Markakis - 3 years, $31.5 million
Julio Teheran - 4 years, $28.6 million
Cameron Maybin - 2 years, $15 million
Dian Toscano - 3 years, $3.8 million

Edit: Braves GM John Coppolella has responded to Rosenthal's column, saying, "We have had zero trade discussions involving Freddie Freeman or Julio Teheran." Although he didn't deny they were untouchable.

I don't believe anything this front office says at the moment.

CygnusXS

The thing with Freeman right now is that he was starting to show more power last season, and then he hurt his wrist. His wrist was still a medical issue at the end of the season too. He apparently didn't need surgery but that's a decent red flag for any teams acquiring him right now and doesn't help his value.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Stros need to be in on Freeman. They have no production from their corners.

What would the cost be? Gotta be at least 2 top prospects?

The thing with Freeman right now is that he was starting to show more power last season, and then he hurt his wrist. His wrist was still a medical issue at the end of the season too. He apparently didn't need surgery but that's a decent red flag for any teams acquiring him right now and doesn't help his value.

Ohhh.. hmm.

Where's that bravesfansuicide.jpg?

OsOrlMY.jpg

Windu

really good interview with Terry Mcguirk (braves chairman)
ABC: Can we expect to see a top 10 payroll team?

TM: I think that’s where we want to be. I think we would expect ourselves to be. The proof is in the pudding. We have to have all of this coalesce and work. Our confidence level is so high that it’s as close to being in our plans as we can get it right now as far as our operating plan and how everything we are doing.

ABC: When can we expect to see the Braves in the top 10 in terms of payroll?

TM: I won’t give you a timetable, but you will start seeing major jumps 1/1/17.
i copied all the suntrust park parts here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185625419&postcount=467

2 parts

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-braves-chairman-ceo-terry-mcguirk-talks.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...tlanta-braves-chairman-ceo-terry-mcguirk.html

it sounds like the braves have much bigger plans for suntrust. They have bought up even more land around the area than what they are building on. this is just "phase 1". and they are talking about having 10,000 parking spots. And said that they will have all the stuff complete before 2018 but you won't notice the ongoing construction when visiting. this thing is turing out to be an impressive project. i hope they can pull it off. Will be the blueprint for future stadiums.

also, sounds like payroll is going to get a big boost in 2017 which makes these rumors even more odd.

CygnusXS

The payroll part is the most intriguing for me, because at this point I'm just not sure who they'd be spending on.

RBH

The payroll part is the most intriguing for me, because at this point I'm just not sure who they'd be spending on.

They should use all of that extra money to convince Chris Reitsma and Dan Kolb to come out of retirement to help shore up the Braves bullpen!

Windu

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/john-coppolella-on-trading-andrelton-simmons-and-more/
John Coppolella has a plan. He also has a goal, which is to help return the Atlanta Braves to prominence. Last week, the 37-year-old general manager – along with president of baseball operations John Hart – made a bold move toward that end. Andrelton Simmons, a gifted and popular shortstop, was traded to Anaheim in exchange for Erick Aybar and a pair of pitching prospects.

The deal wasn’t particularly popular, but that’s not Coppolella’s biggest concern. The Braves are coming off a pair of losing campaigns, and they’ll be moving into a new stadium for the 2017 season. The fan base expects a winner, and that is what Coppolella and Company are working to build.

——

Coppolella on trading Andrelton Simmons: “It was a talent-based deal for us. Using scouting and analytics we simply felt the talent level we were getting back in this deal was too good to pass up. We have high hopes, in the short- and long-term, for all three of the players we acquired.

“Everything we do here is as a team, and it starts with John Hart and myself. Many of our top scouts were in the Dominican Republic during the GM Meetings and we did a conference call one morning with Roy Clark, Brian Bridges, Sean Rooney, and Gordon Blakeley, all of whom had a lot of history with the three players we acquired from the Angels. Billy Ryan and Rick Williamswere representing us at the meeting. We also discussed the trade at length with other members of our front office and scouting staff. We all knew it was hard to trade Andrelton, but we also knew this was the right move for our franchise.”

On the trade talks: “The New York Yankees made a run at Simmons last off-season so there was history and familiarity there with (Angels GM, and former Yankees assistant GM) Billy Eppler. Billy called me the first week of the off-season and asked about Simmons. I told him we would listen on anybody, but weren’t looking to trade Simmons.

“We spoke on and off for three weeks, sometimes on the phone and sometimes on text, where each party made offers that were ultimately declined by the other party. Billy and I met Tuesday night, one-on-one for over two hours, and got the ball to the one-yard line. The delays after Tuesday night on both side were more about ownership, etc.”

On the deal’s near-term impact: “We feel there is an argument to be made that we may be better in 2016 with Erick Aybar because he’s one of the best hitting shortstops in baseball with a career .276 batting average. We finished 30th in baseball in runs in 2015 and 29th in 2014, so we need to find ways to improve our offense. Erick is a good step in that direction, but we need more. We also feel that both Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis have a chance to impact our club at the Major League level in 2016, so they should also help us have a better season with a potential huge payoff in future years.”

On the relative importance of infield defense: “Infield defense is very important and Andrelton may be the best of all time. It’s hard to quantify not only the hits he turns into outs, but also the extra pitches, and the stress associated with those pitches, for our young arms. That being said, defense isn’t everything.

“The New York Mets reached the World Series this year and, with all due respect, they didn’t have an impact defensive shortstop. There is a value to defense, but sometimes you see such spectacular plays from some defensive masterminds that you forget about other deficiencies in their games.”

On the team’s shortstop future: “Aybar was a big part of this deal. We are going to get to know him and let him get to know us, and maybe we will end up signing him to an extension. If not, we feel like we have a lot of really good shortstops coming up in our farm system.

“Daniel Castro did a nice job for us last year coming up to the major leagues and Johan Camargo has done some nice things in the Arizona Fall League. Obviously, we are really excited about Ozhaino Albies, but we also don’t want to put pressure on him to feel like he has to be ready for 2017. Albies will tell us when he’s ready and he won’t be rushed. However, whether it’s Albies or other shortstops in our organization, as a result of this trade there is now a tremendous opportunity with the Braves.”

On building for the future: “We’re a team that’s poised to get better in 2016. We’re unhappy with our performance in 2015. That said, Fredi Gonzalez did a great job – especially in the first half of the season – of doing more with less. At 42-42, we were a fun, overachieving team. It was a tough end to the season, but out of that adversity is some opportunity.

“We’re always looking for the most talent possible. We’re looking at the way John Schuerholz built the Royals and the Braves. We’re looking at the way John Hart built the Indians and the Rangers. They went with young, upside talent. They took long-range views. I think we’re on the same track. We don’t want to build a team that is going to win 85 games every year; we want to build a team that expects to be in the World Series every season.”

On tearing down to build up: “We did something like that last year. I think we’re at a point this year where we need to get back on track and get back to winning games. We can’t have another year where we lose 95 games. We need to get better, and as a group, that’s what we’re looking to do this year. We don’t want our young players or our fans to get used to losing.

“The Braves have been one of the best franchises in baseball. We’ve been a gold standard. Since John Schuerholz took over the Braves 1991, we have the second most wins in baseball, right behind the New York Yankees. We need to keep that gold standard going.

On constructing an offense: “If you look at the 2014 World Series, it pitted two teams, the Royals and the Giants, that made the most contact. I believe the Royals were last in their league in home runs. There are many ways to skin a cat. Whether you do it with power, on-base percentage… when I was with the Yankees, for seven years, we preached on-base percentage. Get on, work counts, get the starter out early. Now, you may not want the starter out early, because so many teams have such good bullpens.

“I think the more talent you can get, whether they’re guys who are big on-base or low on-base, big power or low power, if they’re good winning pieces they will help us score runs and win games.”

On the park factors and pitching: “They will be very similar in the new park to what they are at Turner Field right now. There are different wind patterns, but I don’t think they’re going to make much of an impact.

“I think you have to factor in your park when putting together a team. I think our new park is going to play fair, but maybe a little bit toward pitching. The Braves have been built on pitching and defense. Pretty much every trade we made this year, we tries to get back pitching. That’s the way John Schuerholz and Bobby Cox did it, and it worked really well for a long time.”

On not mandating managerial moves: “We try to give Fredi everything he would want in terms of game preparation. We have members of our analytics department devoted specifically to providing him with in-game strategy information and probabilities. But at the end of the day, Fredi is going to make the calls. He’s going to use his gut, for better or for worse. Fredi won 96 games for us in 2013. He’s been one of the winningest managers since taking over the Braves. We trust Fredi.”

On analytics and perception: “I think there might be a perception out there that we’re an old school organization, because we don’t tell Fredi who to play or where to hit them, or who to pitch. That doesn’t mean we’re not on the cutting edge of analytics. We’ve made a lot of hires, especially to help grow our analytics department, in the last few weeks.

“While we use a lot more analytics than people think, we’re still going to count on our scouts. We have really good baseball people working here, in scouting, player development and in our front office. We are all pulling the same way and dedicated toward getting back to the Braves Way. At the end of the day, this is about winning games and we feel we’re on the right track to do that. It was a painful year, last year, but we feel we’re going to keep getting better.

“We have a lot of work to do, so definitely expect additional trades and/or signings. The goal for us isn’t to get to 80 wins, or 85 wins, or 90 wins; the goal is to win a World Series, and I feel we move closer to that with every move we make.”
i assume him using batting average is just him talking to the mainstream fan. He is deep in the saber analytics so he knows more than any of us.

Meier

I'm kind of rooting for kapler or erstad

I don't know bud black and Dave Roberts seem like really boring choices

also the dodgers need a right handed starter.. their rotation is all lefties at this point.. Kershaw Ryu Anderson Wood.. even Urias is left

We're not gonna lose Zack! :| But I encountered this problem in OOTP too especially when I signed David Price as a FA (who was utter garbage in his first season with me.. ugh).

I'm with you, let's give Kapler a shot. Would have liked Erstad but he removed his name from contention this weekend.

XiaNaphryz

We're not gonna lose Zack! :| But I encountered this problem in OOTP too especially when I signed David Price as a FA (who was utter garbage in his first season with me.. ugh).

Join the GAF OOTP league already. ;P

SF has been doing terribly the last two seasons under my reign, lol. Injuries and Bochy retiring didn't help at all.

CygnusXS

The Braves signed a minor league free agent, which isn't that notable. But what is notable, is that free agent's career strikeout rates.

He's played 5 seasons and in those seasons his strikeout percentage, respectively, has been: 1.8%, 0.9%, 3.3%, 4.3%, and 2.4%.

jbug617

Banned
Reds are open for business.
@jaysonst: An exec of a team that's talked to the Reds says he's convinced Todd Frazier "is legitimately out there" to be traded for - for a big return
@jaysonst Other teams say Reds are targeting big-league ready young players in any package they get back for Frazier or Aroldis Chapman

XiaNaphryz

Jason Stark:

An exec of a team that's talked to the Reds says he's convinced Todd Frazier "is legitimately out there" to be traded for. Reds are targeting big-league ready young players in any package they get back.

EDIT: Damn you jbug!

zroid

Banned
The Braves signed a minor league free agent, which isn't that notable. But what is notable, is that free agent's career strikeout rates.

He's played 5 seasons and in those seasons his strikeout percentage, respectively, has been: 1.8%, 0.9%, 3.3%, 4.3%, and 2.4%.

impressive...

edit: I was being sarcastic because I thought this was a pitcher :lol :lol I guess it really is impressive!

Red Sox about to offer 3 prospects for him!

Would be hilarious if SD gets more in return for him than LA did.

his contract is at least subsidized now, but he didn't show enought with the bat to make up for all the money and defensive deficiencies. I guess he could go to the AL to DH but teams seem to be less and less willing to pay big money to DHs anymore.

Top Bottom