• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Jose Fernandez Speculation

Lol I really need to route for a different team.

One on hand, it makes no absolutely no sense to trade him. He is a top 5 pitcher in the NL and he is only 23 years old. He also has three years of team control left. Plus, it's not like he is going to be expensive next season either, he is projected to make 2-2.5 million in arbitration.

On the other hand, the Marlins aren't signing him after 2018, so they may as well get the biggest haul possible. The farm system is one of the worst, if not the worst in the league, and the Marlins aren't going to be anything other than a 70-80 win team for the foreseeable future. Ideally, the Marlins would trade with the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, and maybe the Dodgers.

Anyway, I really doubt he gets traded this offseason, but he will definitely be gone by the end of next year.

the 2nd best DH ever retiring.

This makes the position and how it's viewed really interesting to me. Especially if it does get expanded into the NL. I wonder if more teams will value it as a way to give guys rest and rotate players through it rather than paying one dedicated guy who plays shitty defense premium money to be your full time DH. Especially with how much more analytic front offices are becoming.

Looking forward to having Big Papi on the Cubs coaching staff. Also Cubs need to go in hard on Fernandez. Baez, Soler, Almora + low level guys for Fernandez and Ozuna.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if more teams will value it as a way to give guys rest and rotate players through it rather than paying one dedicated guy who plays shitty defense premium money to be your full time DH. Especially with how much more analytic front offices are becoming.
This is my thought on the best way to use that position. Get some guys some rest, and have a deeper bench.

Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 4m4 minutes ago Cooper City, FL
Two highly placed sources tell me Jose Fernandez is not being shopped or discussed to be shopped. Will that change, who knows?

He has much better front office access than the radio host that reported Jose was available.

zroid

Banned
This is my thought on the best way to use that position. Get some guys some rest, and have a deeper bench.

Yep. For us I would expect Tulo to get regular DH days next year, and possibly others depending on how everybody is hitting. Martin might DH on days when Dickey is pitching? If he's hitting well then I would hope so.

The DH actually saved our season to some degree when Bautista hurt his throwing arm back in May; he got sidelined to DH duty for like a month plus. He was a productive hitter during that time.

the 2nd best DH ever retiring.

This makes the position and how it's viewed really interesting to me. Especially if it does get expanded into the NL. I wonder if more teams will value it as a way to give guys rest and rotate players through it rather than paying one dedicated guy who plays shitty defense premium money to be your full time DH. Especially with how much more analytic front offices are becoming.

Probably depends in who a team has. Like, if you've got Schwarber on an AL team, he should probably be mostly a DH. Same with someone like Nelson Cruz. For them, it's probably worth it to have a specific DH

But there are only so many of those type of guys in the game

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://deadspin.com/russell-branyan-arrested-for-allegedly-breaking-into-ex-1742939529

Former Major League Baseball player Russell Branyan was arrested last night in Nashville, Tenn., on a charge of felony aggravated burglary, allegedly of his ex-wife’s home. Russell, who has long owned a home in nearby Franklin, allegedly committed the burglary on Oct. 30. He was released on a $2,500 bond.

The victim of the alleged burglary is Branyan’s ex-wife, Jill Branyan. It is unclear when the two divorced, though as of 14 months ago Russell referred to her as his wife. According to a warrant that was issued for Branyan’s arrest on Oct. 31, he broke into Jill’s house while she was sleeping, stole some things, and fucked with the thermostat. He also acknowledged to a witness that he took the items and wants to return them.

Scouting report?

Nothing terribly complex, throws a 4 and 2 seam with superb riding action, surve/curve (the curve really just kinda happens sometimes) he uses to trail off SHH. Throws 92-95 on his heat, it's heavy so it's hard to pull deep, doesn't get beat with the long ball often. Saves leader in the NPB both years he was there, all-time greatest closer in Korean Baseball history.

Good pitcher.

Malo

Banned
Nothing terribly complex, throws a 4 and 2 seam with superb riding action, surve/curve (the curve really just kinda happens sometimes) he uses to trail off SHH. Throws 92-95 on his heat, it's heavy so it's hard to pull deep, doesn't get beat with the long ball often. Saves leader in the NPB both years he was there, all-time greatest closer in Korean Baseball history.

Good pitcher.
I would be more excited if he was younger, but we do need another right hander in the bp.

jbug617

Banned
Rosenthal and Morosi reporting that the Braves and D-Backs had discussions about Shelby Miller. He said the talks did not go any where because the Braves wanted someone from D-Backs MLB roster The player they speculated that the Braves wanted was Pollack. The D-Backs were not interested doing that type of deal.

Rosenthal and Morosi reporting that the Braves and D-Backs had discussions about Shelby Miller. He said the talks did not go any where because the Braves wanted someone from D-Backs MLB roster The player they speculated that the Braves wanted was Pollack.

Barves please.

Rosenthal and Morosi reporting that the Braves and D-Backs had discussions about Shelby Miller. He said the talks did not go any where because the Braves wanted someone from D-Backs MLB roster The player they speculated that the Braves wanted was Pollack. The D-Backs were not interested doing that type of deal.

You can't really blame the Barves for trying to fleece Dave Stewart again.

Shelby Miller could be a future pitching triple crown winner.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
That's not a bad ask really. Good to see them going after a position player for a change.

Not a bad deal provided Crawford ages well, which is always a question for SS after 30. I wonder if he can keep up his batting value or if 2015 was an outlier.

RBH

B7f0v3o.jpg

Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella is on the other end of the telephone, seething, offended by all of the accusations.

“I know it’s hard for our fans, but I’m not running for office. We are doing what I believe is what’s best in for the long-term interest of the Braves. I’ll trust our scouts and analytics.

“I’m getting so tired of this,’’ Coppolella told USA TODAY Sports on the eve of the quarterly Major League Baseball owners’ meetings. “If guys want to take shots, or (degrade) us, fine. But let’s let it play out for a few years before we start branding our pitchforks and torches.

“I feel in my heart this is the best for the Braves.’’

"Trust me,’’ Coppolella said, “We are not tanking.’’

The litmus test, of course, will be All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman.

He’s the Braves’ most prized commodity, and if he’s traded, they could bring in a star-studded array of prospects that could immediately ignite their turnaround.

Sorry, Coppolella says, it’s not happening.

“I cannot make it any more clear,’’ Coppolella said, “we are not trading Freddie Freeman. We are not. I’d give my right arm before we trade Freddie Freeman. It is not happening.’’

The Braves refuse to stand by and take it. And Coppolella is livid that no one is giving them the benefit of the doubt.

“There is a method to this madness,’’ Coppolella said. “Judge our trades in two to three years. Not now.’’

If you want to know the truth, even after jettisoning 40 players over the last 13 months, the Braves hope they’re not done trading. They’d love to move the bloated contracts of outfielders Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn. If someone makes the right offer for Cameron Maybin, he’s gone too.

But not, repeat not, Freeman.

“We want to win,’’ Coppolella said. “I don’t think anybody wants to lose. It’s painful. But we had one bad season, not three of four years.

“If we truly were going to tank, we wouldn’t have had Aybar come back in the trade. If we were trying to tank, we wouldn’t have signed (catcher) A.J. Pierzynski. If we were trying to tank, we would have traded Maybin at the deadline last year, and we had plenty of offers.

“We want to win. And we will win. I’m not under any delusions that we’ll win 110 games, but we’re not going to lose 95 games again. We will win more games than we did last year.’’

Yet, it’s this latest trade with Simmons that has created all of the unrest, with folks wondering if the Braves are deliberately trying to lose as many games as possible until they move into their new SunTrust Park in 2017.

The Braves hear you,but they insist they’ll be a better team with their two young pitchers on the mound than Simmons in the middle of their infield. They absolutely loved his defense, winning Wilson’s defensive player of the year, but they cringe at his offensive struggles, with the 13th-worst OPS in baseball last year.

“I get it, Simmons is real good with the glove,’’ Coppolella said. “Real good. But there’s more to it. We like our trade. That’s why we made it. We feel we got more talent back than we traded away. You can make an argument that we are actually a team that can win more games with Aybar.

“To us, it’s just like five years ago when the Royals traded away Zack Greinke. Everyone was saying, “What are they doing? How can you trade a 27-year-old Cy Young winner?’ Well, how did that work out for them?’’

The Royals received future All-Star center fielder Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, MVP of the 2015 ALCS, and two pitching prospects. Now, after going 29 years between playoff appearances, they have won back-to-back American League pennants and are the reigning World Series champions.

“Or how about the Mets two-years ago when they traded their Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey to Toronto,’’ Coppolella said, “for a kid in Double-A and another in High-A.. How did that turn out?’’

Those kids turned out to be starter Noah Syndergaard and catcher Travis d’Arnaud, helping lead the Mets to the National League pennant last year.

“We’re not afraid of the criticism and taking the risk,’’ Coppolella said, “but we’re tired of it.’’
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mmons-trade-tanking-freddie-freeman/75963388/

Top Bottom