• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

BFIB

Reports are that the Cards were in the 7/$190 range, and willing to go on a higher AAV if the Cards had a club option after 4 years.

Sanjuro

Nobody since teams haven't had the resources to build like that till the last 10 or so years. I think the Dodgers and Sox can be the blueprints for high payroll teams to build from.

I don't think so. The Red Sox has a nice balance, but they let the wrong people go and signed a poor culture. I think they are honestly trying to use their undo button and sign people who they believe brings them back to that caliber. Sign some platoon guys, have faith in the young guys who performed well last season.

It should have been the yanquis, but we said fuck the farm system.

I miss the Yanquis. I hope A-Rod shows up 30lbs slimmer and starts playing SS again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm hoping the Giants lose their minds after Greinke goes back to LA and we can get something similar to Miller, Rio Ruiz, and Bethancourt for Susac, Duffy, and Beede. Braves might need to add another piece to make it work.

Then SF can sign Justin Upton and Freese and be ready to make a go of it.

I can see them moving Susac. Duffy, not so much.

cashman

Banned
CONSULT THE FLOW CHART:

xgmWsyM.jpg

Adrian Beltre says fuck your flowchart.

It's a very rare exeption but still <3 Belts.

We could have offered Grienke or Price if Rogers didn't decide to swallow the entire damn Canadian NHL TV pie.

Really, that's where most of my ire lies with being a fan of this team. The fact that barting certain circumstances like 2012 and this year, Rogers never bucks up the cash to make this team a perennial winner. It's always in the shadow of the Leafs.

The Dome's retrofitting (shame it can't be razed) probably has quite a bit to do with it.

I'm not upset that they didn't sign Price, but the optics are bad. Do we know yet if the Jays even offered a contract?

The Dome's retrofitting (shame it can't be razed) probably has quite a bit to do with it.

I'm not upset that they didn't sign Price, but the optics are bad. Do we know yet if the Jays even offered a contract?

Forgot about the Dome retrofitting, but this docile nature on big name free agents unless it lands upon their lap goes back years, going back to when Rogers first came in.

zroid

Banned
Zimmermann's arm is already shot. His pitches above 95 MPH dropped over 90% last season, pitches 94 and over dropped almost 70%.

His arm is shot.
Yeah I would have been cautious with him. I think a contract in the $18M AAV range might have suited me better. Maybe with a 6th year option/buyout.

jbug617

Banned
Braves trying to get Pollock from D-Backs

#Braves keep trying for #DBacks’ Pollock, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. Initial offer was S. Miller for Pollock straight up. AZ said no.

#Braves came back with Miller and Arodys Vizcaino for Pollock and Aaron Blair. AZ again said no.

3N16MA

Banned
I pegged Price at 7/215. Close enough.

This is the new reality of ace pitchers in their late 20s. 200M+ and opt outs.

Price is getting paid more than Kershaw and gets his opt out 1 year earlier. Kerhsaw did sign an extension but it's still hilarious to think that every ace pitcher will now make Kershaw money.

3N16MA

Banned
Strasburg has a lot riding on this upcoming season. If he pitches like he is capable of and logs 200+ innings, he is going to get a nice bump in pay. If he misses starts because of injury he will still get paid but the risk involved will dampen his value.

28 next offseason and his peripherals line him up with pitchers like Price and Scherzer.

BFIB

So the Red Sox got the best starter, and the best closer. Every 5th day, that team will be unbeatable.

BFIB

The opt outs are crazy. I guess the Cards go after Heyward now. You can opt him out after 5 years and he'd still be in line for the Mariners next 10 year albatross.

3N16MA

Banned
Price got paid. Sox should get ready for 1 year of ace like pitching, 2 years as a #2, 2 more years as a mid-roation starter, and the final 2 years as a back of the rotation nobody.

The Cards not getting Price is a huge relief and I'm betting they feel the same way about the Cubs not getting him.

The Cueto bidding is going to be interesting because I'm not sure who will be in on him besides AZ.

Beckx

I'm bored. Fun facts for you guys.

Maeda 2015 (15-8):

2.41 FIP
1.01 WHIP
OppBA: .222
OppOBP: 266
OppSLG: .277
206 innings
175 Ks

Otani 2015 (15-5):

2.16 FIP
0.91 WHIP
OppBA: .180
OppOBP: .245
OppSLG:.250
160 innings
196 Ks

Maeda won the Sawamura Award, which US sports writers will call the "Japanese Cy Young" even though it's not. It's the "guy most like Eiji Sawamura in several categories." One of the categories is 200 innings pitched, so Maeda ticked more boxes than Otani.

Love the Price signing, you got to love how Dombrowski operates. When he wants a guy he gets him, unless the other team or the agent bullshit him. He don't give no fucks about overpaying, but it has to be relatively fair and you have to know you can't just shit him and make requests like the Phillies were making for Hamels. Makes me wonder what the Indians are asking for Salazar/Carrasco if he didn't even get in on that.

Also, nice aggressive move by him putting Greinke against Price instead of allowing them to put the Red Sox against other teams.

The opt outs are crazy. I guess the Cards go after Heyward now. You can opt him out after 5 years and he'd still be in line for the Mariners next 10 year albatross.

Yep, gotta think Cardinals will be going even harder for Heyward now (even though signing Price wouldn't have stopped them; just limited them). Have boatloads of money to spend and not a lot of areas to spend it

3N16MA

Banned
Love the Price signing, you got to love how Dombrowski operates. When he wants a guy he gets him, unless the other team or the agent bullshit him. He don't give no fucks about overpaying, but it has to be relatively fair and you have to know you can't just shit him and make requests like the Phillies were making for Hamels. Makes me wonder what the Indians are asking for Salazar/Carrasco if he didn't even get in on that.

Also, nice aggressive move by him putting Greinke against Price instead of allowing them to put the Red Sox against other teams.

Carrasco would take unloading the farm.

Top Bottom