• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Friggz

Strasburg and save their pennies for Harper in '18.

I agree with you. They should be going hard after Heyward.

Strasburg is going to have to stay healthy and remain consistent to get a big deal. Two things he hasn't really done yet. I'd love to have him, but I don't see him getting that big contract north
Of 200.

zroid

Banned
Nothing at all?

Shapiro is quickly running this team into the ground.

well they could have offered him something in their budget, but why bother getting laughed at for no reason

also blaming this on Shapiro is stupid. Rogers maybe since they obviously have the resources.

Malo

Banned
Strasburg is going to have to stay healthy and remain consistent to get a big deal. Two things he hasn't really done yet. I'd love to have him, but I don't see him getting that big contract north
Of 200.
If he throws 200 innings next year or gets close to it, I can see a team throwing $150 million at him.

kill me nao

Plz, you guys have more money than god.

Red Sox got the ass end of this big time, 4 player options with the bulk of the money being in those decline years? Yeah, they're fucked. Ignoring the fact that nobody has thrown more pitches the last 5 years than Price, nobody is worth that much AAV in their age 33-37 seasons. NOBODY.

Blue Jays were smart by not touching that much money. They should chase after Kenta Maeda to augment that staff, IYAM.

jman2050

400 mil is low balling massively for Harper if this season really is his baseline performance. 500 is more reasonable given that.

Trout will end up wih even more a few years later.

Time to retire the David Price card avatar to the rafters

You did good Price

now I wait for the rest of Red Sox nation to bitch and moan about how much he sucks when he gets Tommy John surgery like every other big signing

well they could have offered him something in their budget, but why bother getting laughed at for no reason

also blaming this on Shapiro is stupid. Rogers maybe since they obviously have the resources.

Blame both. Shapiro for not being proactive, and Rogers for running this Mickey Mouse operation compared to the Leafs.

Malvingt2

So what is next for the Redsox?

are they going to try and trade one of the bad contracts they have?

Getting another pitcher by a trade?

CONSULT THE FLOW CHART:

xgmWsyM.jpg

Probably try and move Brian Johnson + for more proven pitching.

Sanjuro

I think we need to dump at least one. I think Pablo playing first makes the most sense, but I'm just some asshole.

Sanjuro

Nobody is eating the money for Hanley so trading him is out. You might be able to leverage Panda if you throw in some decent prospects with him.

Huh? Of course someone would take Hanley. Are you nuts?!

We send him out with a bank check. No problem. It's only money.

zroid

Banned
Blame both. Shapiro for not being proactive, and Rogers for running this Mickey Mouse operation compared to the Leafs.

I just don't understand what Shapiro was expected to do. We don't have the money for Price or Greinke. I guess they could have afforded Zimmermann? But he costs a draft pick.

I just don't understand what Shapiro was expected to do. We don't have the money for Price or Greinke. I guess they could have afforded Zimmermann? But he costs a draft pick.

Zimmermann's arm is already shot. His pitches above 95 MPH dropped over 90% last season, pitches 94 and over dropped almost 70%.

His arm is shot.

Sanjuro

I meant after Ortiz retires, but yeah, what I described ain't happening next year

Yeah. It's tough to figure out. I'm just enjoying the signings. The Young signing is my favorite so far to be honest. The other big acquisitions feel like they are re-balancing where they failed in the years prior.

We could have offered Grienke or Price if Rogers didn't decide to swallow the entire damn Canadian NHL TV pie.

Really, that's where most of my ire lies with being a fan of this team. The fact that barting certain circumstances like 2012 and this year, Rogers never bucks up the cash to make this team a perennial winner. It's always in the shadow of the Leafs.

Yeah. It's tough to figure out. I'm just enjoying the signings. The Young signing is my favorite so far to be honest. The other big acquisitions feel like they are re-balancing where they failed in the years prior.

I mean, you guys have the money to build like the Dodgers. Stack a farm system with talent, keep a constant pipeline to the majors, and supplement with a big FA period every 2-3 years to stay competitive while rebuilding.

Sanjuro

I mean, you guys have the money to build like the Dodgers. Stack a farm system with talent, keep a constant pipeline to the majors, and supplement with a big FA period every 2-3 years to stay competitive while rebuilding.

Well, like the Dodgers we gave never won using that method.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
sooo the braves strategy of stockpiling pitching is looking bettet.

I'm hoping the Giants lose their minds after Greinke goes back to LA and we can get something similar to Miller, Rio Ruiz, and Bethancourt for Susac, Duffy, and Beede. Braves might need to add another piece to make it work.

Then SF can sign Justin Upton and Freese and be ready to make a go of it.

Top Bottom