• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

He was looking for around $100M in spring of '14, but after he pitched brilliantly in 2 World Series games, they offered him 70M. That's really soured everything and he was gone.

I heard he was looking for $110M but either way they could've had Lester and over $100M to spend elsewhere.

If I were Red Sox GM I would prefer he opt-out regardless of his performance to that point. Getting his best 3 years of the 7 year term at $31M is great. There'll be other, probably younger free agents to throw money at afterwards.

True, even if he's pitching well, age catches up to anyone and it's very unlikely he will be worth $30 million a year from ages 34-38....but that's all the more reason it's likely they will be stuck with him from ages 34-38.

Depends on how much inflation of $/WAR keeps rising, as well as how much WAR Price loses every year from age 34 onward. It could be $10 mil per WAR following his age 33 season, and it's not unreasonable to think he could exceed a 3 WAR average from 34 to 38.

zroid

Banned
Depends on how much inflation of $/WAR keeps rising, as well as how much WAR Price loses every year from age 34 onward. It could be $10 mil per WAR following his age 33 season, and it's not unreasonable to think he could exceed a 3 WAR average from 34 to 38.

Sure, but the fact it could be a fair deal doesn't mean it's a good allocation of resources, right? I'd rather pay someone else at that point.

Cards supposedly finished 2nd in the Price sweepstakes. Be interesting to find out how much they offered and how much more the Sox bid. Interesting that the Cubs and BJs were out on him.

Malo

Banned
Joe Sheehan @Joe_sheehan:

Bryce Harper marks November 1, 2018 with a big red "X," returns to catalogue of islands for sale.

Well give $400 million plus an island.

Tom Penny

Tie your boys right arm behind their backs and make them leftie pitches fellas...Money means nothing in baseball. Wait till Trout goes for half a billion.

Quick

Banned
Didn't think Price was going to stick around anyway. Already gave up on that idea a while ago.

So, Greinke, huh.

Sure, but the fact it could be a fair deal doesn't mean it's a good allocation of resources, right? I'd rather pay someone else at that point.

A starting pitcher in, let's say, the top 30 performers at his position on average during those years, for market rate (not even including inflation going forward), on a relatively short 4 year deal? I think practically every major league club not constrained by a low payroll would take that deal. It would be more than fair, and would be a very smart allocation of resources.

If Price opts out, and I bet he will (barring injury of course), I think he might get a 5 year deal at $35+ mil AAV.

Who the fuck gives Price more than what Kershaw makes? The Red Sox.

Kinda understand why Rogers didn't wanna pay that kind of money. Not worth it.

Honestly cannot wait for him to pitch in Toronto. The crowd will be on him harder than they were with Burnett or Farrell.

jbug617

Banned
According to Nightengale, the Red Sox had Grienke as their backup plan.

David Price will earn $90 million the 1st three years of his contract_$30 million a year_when he then has an opt-out in his contract.#RedSox

Zack Greinke now expected to sign with #Dodgers or #Giants by the end of the week on a 5- or 6-year deal. The #Dodgers still the favorites

The #RedSox needed a decision by today by David Price so they didn't lose out on Greinke as well. Greinke was their back-up plan.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Who the fuck gives Price more than what Kershaw makes? The Red Sox.

Kinda understand why Rogers didn't wanna pay that kind of money. Not worth it.

Honestly cannot wait for him to pitch in Toronto. The crowd will be on him harder than they were with Burnett or Farrell.

That would be really petty.

Malvingt2

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick
David Price's annual salaries: 30, 30, 30, 31, 32, 32. 32. No deferred money in deal. Opt out after 3 yrs #redsox

Great deal for Price.

Can't blame Price, obviously.

Shapiro and any of the Rogers top staff should probably stay out of the spotlight as they are going to get booed the fuck out of the dome.

Whether you believed we could sign him or not it's disappointing to see him go to an in division competitor. Even more disappointing that team has to be the Red Sox who just a few seasons ago fleeced us for our management staff and won a World Series. It's embarrassing. We're in a first class market and look like a god damn feeder team for the Red Sox.

Anthopolous knew Rogers was going to keep the purse strings tight and decided enough was enough. Don't blame him either.

Malvingt2

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick
Sources say Greinke is looking for a 5 or 6 yr deal. He wants AAV above Price. That means $31.5M or $32M a year.

Friggz

Not gonna lie. Considering how poorly the next few free agent classes look and how much money the Yankees have coming off the books over the next two years. They should be splurging this offseason. If the two jackass brothers keep telling us they only
Plan to reinvest money back into the team when it comes off the books, where is that money going to next year and the following?

Malo

Banned
Not gonna lie. Considering how poorly the next few free agent classes look and how much money the Yankees have coming off the books over the next two years. They should be splurging this offseason. If the two jackass brothers keep telling us they only
Plan to reinvest money back into the team when it comes off the books, where is that money going to next year and the following?
Strasburg and save their pennies for Harper in '18.

I agree with you. They should be going hard after Heyward.

Top Bottom