• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Fucking ruined my weekend and probably my year. Going out to get booze. I wasn't planning to drink tonight, but that's out the fucking window.

LOL ya'll will be fine. You have more money than god and all you have to do is supplement the back half of your rotation and it'll balance out the impact losing Greinke has.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Athletes love playing in Arizona. Some of the responses in here are quite silly.

Tomas was their most expensive contract of all time last year... at 68.5 million. Thats FA signing or extension. I don't know how you describe this deal as anything other than stunning honestly. It's not a knock against Arizona, their fans should be thrilled, its just pointing out that a relatively cheap franchise went big.

"Sources: Greinke deal is six years, $206M. Deferrals expected." - @Ken_Rosenthal

Wait, what?

Edit: "Again: Greinke deal is six years, $206M with deferrals, per sources. Deferrals will lower present-day value of contract."

I hope Shohei Otani doesn't become a Dodger eventually, but it seems fated to be.

I give it one more year of him enjoying being king of the castle in the NPB with Maeda gone, then he's out and headed to the Dodgers.

$206M. Good fucking lord.

MAT GET IN HERE I NEED TO TEACH YOU A FUCKING CHANGE-UP.

3N16MA

Banned
They finally landed someone! Diamondbacks are always in on some player that they have no chance of landing. Finally worked.

I mean how can Dodgers fans really be mad at this? Grenkie chased the AAV and years, nobody but the D'Backs were offering both, and that's INSANE money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I mean how can Dodgers fans really be mad at this? Grenkie chased the AAV and years, nobody but the D'Backs were offering both, and that's INSANE money.

I thought his deal and Price's deal were insane but this is a market where Pelfrey is getting 2 / 16. Its lunacy. Pelfrey is barely good enough to pitch in Japan at this point.

jbug617

Banned
Strasburg is the biggest name next year for pitching free agency. The trade market should be good though with the possibility of Gray, Sale and Fernandez going to the highest bidders.

3N16MA

Banned
Reminds me of the Nats blowing everyone away to get Werth. No one wanted play for them so they had to blow out everyone else in order to get him. Greinke is much better but 206M on a 32 year old pitcher?

rando14

I thought his deal and Price's deal were insane but this is a market where Pelfrey is getting 2 / 16. Its lunacy. Pelfrey is barely good enough to pitch in Japan at this point.

PELFREY got $16 million?

*pukes while laughing

Strasburg is the biggest name next year for pitching free agency. The trade market should be good though with the possibility of Gray, Sale and Fernandez going to the highest bidders.

Fackin' Sonny Gray not eligible until 2020, gonna torment us for YEARS

Protip: draft Vandy pitchers

I was, and still am, more shocked someone signed Pelf to anything other than a vet $1M deal to eat 200 innings.

3N16MA

Banned

He is also only 28 next offseason but has a history of missing starts under his belt. If he pitches like a league ace with 200+ innings he is going to get a nice bump in pay. If he misses time with injury he will still get a huge contract but that risk will hang over his head.

Reminds me of the Nats blowing everyone away to get Werth. No one wanted play for them so they had to blow out everyone else in order to get him. Greinke is much better but 206M on a 32 year old pitcher?

Reminds me of the Cano deal. Regret will kick in after 2 years.

He is also only 28 next offseason but has a history of missing starts under his belt. If he pitches like a league ace with 200+ innings he is going to get a nice bump in pay. If he misses time with injury he will still get a huge contract but that risk will hang over his head.

If he pitches like he did the last two months of the year, I.E. like he did in his rookie year, he'll make insane money. Stras is the most physically gifted pitcher in baseball he just can't stay healthy enough to harness his ridiculous stuff.

Seriously his 10 game rookie stretch is the most impressive pitching I'v ever seen in my entire life.

jbug617

Banned
Crasnick says that there might be a opt-out in Grienke's deal because it was part of the discussion. Not sure if it's still there or not.

3N16MA

Banned
I bet everyone who was interested offered him 5 years. Maybe 5/175 and he simply went for the money. Once he broke 200M the rest of the teams pointed and laughed at the Diamondbacks.

rando14

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
greinke deal reported to be $206M by @Ken_Rosenthal. thats $34.3M/per. paul goldschmidt's whole contract: $32M

I still cant believe Goldy signed that

Top Bottom