• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

rekameohs

Banned
Because their highest WAR SP was sitting at 1.2 rWAR.

They have an insane offense held back by a terrible pitching staff.

And an insane defense too. Look at Ahmed and Inciarte.

Ahmed - 2.8 dWAR
Inciarte - 2.6 dWAR

and
Pollock - 1.8 dWAR
Goldschmidt - 0.9 dWAR (for first base, what the fuck)

Seriously I'm floored Inciarte was worth that much... that man deserves some publicity

My World Series!!

A.J. Pollock was the second highest OF in terms of WAR in the NL, nobody even knows who he is outside of diehards like us.

They've got some ridiculous talent on the cheap.

So you're Paul Goldschmidt. You were an 8.8 WAR player last year. Over the next three years, you're going to make $26m. Greinke is going to pull that down next year alone. Damn.

Greinke = money over caring about winning

Chewie, given their divisions, the Dbacks could very well win more games than the Jays next year. They won 79 games with scotch tape and garbage in the rotation. Robbie Ray and Patrick Corbin were probably their best two starters for chrissakes.

Greinke is the kind of guy that makes clubs winners.

Money over caring about winning. C'mon Chewie, you're better than this.

rando14

A.J. Pollock was the second highest OF in terms of WAR in the NL, nobody even knows who he is outside of diehards like us.

They've got some ridiculous talent on the cheap.

God I love baseball so much, no other sport satisfies this Advanced stat thirst nearly as well lol

Macattk15

Mariners own their own TV network, we're likely to be a top 10 spender for a while

Isn't Root owned by several entities?

edit : Nvm. Joint Venture between M's and DirectTV. Yet we'll probably still keep our team salary around $130m this season .... what a dumb signing Cano was.

Considering Cashman's comments, I'm calling it now - the Yankees are finishing in last place in the East next year. There's literally nothing that makes them better than any other team in the division, but a whole lot that makes them worse.

Which honestly, I'm fine with. As foreign as the word is to us Yankees fans, this team needs to rebuild. Build up the farm system for 2-3 years, get some top tier prospects that don't hit for the fucking fences every swing as well as get rid of the dead weight that does, and get the next generation of Yankee stars, because it's proven that homegrown talent is what wins championships.

3N16MA

Banned
D-Backs got some serious star power on that squad

EDIT: 7.4 WAR for Pollock, 8.8 WAR from Goldy, 3.7 from Peralta, 2.5 WAR from Ahmed... 5.3 WAR from Inciarte? How the fuck did that get so unnoticed??!?

They have good pieces but can't pitch. Very good defensively and they can run.

rekameohs

Banned
Jayson Stark says D-Backs still aren't done in FA market yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they go hard on Leake, with him being an ASU product.

3N16MA

Banned
Jayson Stark says D-Backs still aren't done in FA market yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they go hard on Leake, with him being an ASU product.

Supposedly they are interested in Miller. Would make sense as it gives them a legit closer and improves their pitching.

rekameohs

Banned
Supposedly they are interested in Miller. Would make sense as it gives them a legit closer and improves their pitching.

I feel like the focus should be on getting one more mid-to-top of the rotation pitcher, then aim for smaller bullpen arms, since Ziegler is excellent at the back end, but I do admit that he's probably better as a general purpose tight situation cleaner than the actual closer. I do like Miller more than those Chapman rumors from earlier, but I know the Yanks are gonna ask for one hell of a return. I feel like with the plethora of position players, especially in the outfield, there's plenty of options for trading. Depending on the offer, Miller would be nice, but it would just be great to see the planets align and a deal work for Sonny Gray or something.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I feel like the focus should be on getting one more mid-to-top of the rotation pitcher, then aim for smaller bullpen arms, since Ziegler is excellent at the back end, but I do admit that he's probably better as a general purpose tight situation cleaner than the actual closer. I do like Miller more than those Chapman rumors from earlier, but I know the Yanks are gonna ask for one hell of a return. I feel like with the plethora of position players, especially in the outfield, there's plenty of options for trading. Depending on the offer, Miller would be nice, but it would just be great to see the planets align and a deal work for Sonny Gray or something.

What would you offer for a Shelby Miller and Arodys Vizcaino package? I know the Braves asked for Pollock and Blair but that's obviously not happening.

rekameohs

Banned
What would you offer for a Shelby Miller and Arodys Vizcaino package? I know the Braves asked for Pollock and Blair but that's obviously not happening.

Yeah definitely not Pollock. I wouldn't get rid of him short of a package for someone like Harvey or Fernandez or Gray, but I reaaally don't think that's happening.

I feel like I'd do Inciarte+Blair for Miller+Vizcaino.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah definitely not Pollock. I wouldn't get rid of him short of a package for someone like Harvey or Fernandez or Gray, but I reaaally don't think that's happening.

I feel like I'd do Inciarte+Blair for Miller+Vizcaino.
I could live with that, though I think I'd rather grab Jake Lamb, Socrates Brito, and Blair. Brito's probably not a starter but it wouldn't hurt for Atlanta to try him in CF.

rekameohs

Banned
I could live with that, though I think I'd rather grab Jake Lamb, Socrates Brito, and Blair. Brito's probably not a starter but it wouldn't hurt for Atlanta to try him in CF.

See, I would be a terrible GM because there is no fucking way I would ever trade Socrates Brito because of dat name

Beckx

What the...

I guess the stats on the large percentage that never come back from TJ surgery aren't very well known.

And yet the only stat anyone ever brings up in this topic is WAR.

(I'm guilty of this too)

One of the things about following NPB is that there are no publicly available advanced defensive stats, so no WAR calculations, either. On the good side that forces discussion into a lot of other stats like FIP, SecA, etc. On the bad side, gold glove awards and discussion are bit lol, like MLB 15 years ago.

Rosenthal saying that Kevin Pillar would be a good fit for the Cubs. I kinda agree. His defense would help make up for Soler and Schwarber out there.
We really don't have any ML Ready pitching to trade unless we replace Hendricks with someone like Ross or Carrasco. In that case Hendricks could be a pretty decent return.

jbug617

Banned
Teams are mad about the Grienke D-Backs deal.

@jaysonst: Hearing lots of consternation from other clubs about the Greinke deal. Sources say the Dbacks got almost $80M in revenue sharing last 3 yrs

Also Rosenthal questioning the D-Backs.

@Ken_Rosenthal: How is it that #DBacks traded Touki Toussaint to #Braves in June to purge Arroyo’s remaining $10.1M - then signed Greinke for $206M?!?!

Top Bottom