• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Why did I quit baseball in the 90s

rando14

j8sPtF4.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I quit because I sucked. :\

I was only good at base running. ;p

rekameohs

Banned
Like, I'm not as giddy as I was from the RJ signing, but this reminds me of after the Schilling trade thinking "holy shit, they're really going all in right now, aren't they?" Getting the same feeling now, but there's obviously some more holes that'll need filling...!

Also, awww shit at that commitment in '19. I was hoping they could pull off a massive Goldy extension

Tomas was their most expensive contract of all time last year... at 68.5 million. Thats FA signing or extension. I don't know how you describe this deal as anything other than stunning honestly. It's not a knock against Arizona, their fans should be thrilled, its just pointing out that a relatively cheap franchise went big.

Totally shocking and stunning for sure! It's just things like "there goes his HOF chances" and "all he cares about is the money" stuff... I know it's just peeps being in shock.

Don't forget guys, baseball is dying.

Well, the bubble is GOING to burst, just like it is for every sport.

And, weirdly enough, baseball is the farthest ahead of the curve in terms of adjusting to the death of cable TV with the massive success of MLB.tv.

Think about how valuable the Mets having 3 potential aces under control is. You can pour money (well if they had any) on position players which tend to be more stable investments than pitchers.

Think about how valuable the Mets having 3 potential aces under control is. You can pour money (well if they had any) on position players which tend to be more stable investments than pitchers.

If the Mets had legitimate ownership we'd own the NL for the next five years.

But we don't so we're targeting a UTL infielder to fix all our problems.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't even care if the late years are an albatross. It's good to - at this moment - have an incredible hitter and an incredible pitcher to make things fun to watch again. It's been a long time.

Fuck.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah. I am so glad the Rays got Archer under team control till 2021. Such an absurd contract for the team, might be the best in baseball.

Greinke = money over caring about winning

Another insane MLB contract. Fuck this league sucks for not having a cap.

Then again, I may be hyopcritical because sometimes I wish the Leafs didn't have a cap in the NHL. They couldn't even win then, though.

rando14

D-Backs got some serious star power on that squad

EDIT: 7.4 WAR for Pollock, 8.8 WAR from Goldy, 3.7 from Peralta, 2.5 WAR from Ahmed... 5.3 WAR from Inciarte? How the fuck did that get so unnoticed??!?

Greinke = money over caring about winning

Another insane MLB contract. Fuck this league sucks for not having a cap.

Then again, I may be hyopcritical because sometimes I wish the Leafs didn't have a cap in the NHL. They couldn't even win then, though.

Dont be upset that your large market team pretends to be mid market. Baseball is a crapshoot. Did anyone expect the Royals to be in the series 2 years ago? Or the Mets last year? Signing with Toronto or LA would not have been anymore of a guarantee of "winning" than Arizona. Hell look at the Blue Jays last year. Potent offense that took off once they got an ace pitcher...why can't the Dbacks replicate that?

rekameohs

Banned
So how is Arizona gonna pay for Pollock?

The only commitments for 2017+ are Tomas (yuueech), Goldy, and Greinke. Right now, they're doing a great job with solid Pre-Arb players, like Pollock now, Inciarte, Peralta, Ahmed, Corbin, Castillo, etc. So when Swanson comes up, and if Bradley and Blair can pan out, maybe they can get a few years out of the Greinke, Goldy, Pollock trinity.

D-Backs got some serious star power on that squad

EDIT: 7.4 WAR for Pollock, 8.8 WAR from Goldy, 3.7 from Peralta, 2.5 WAR from Ahmed... 5.3 WAR from Inciarte? How the fuck did that get so unnoticed??!?

Because their highest WAR SP was sitting at 1.2 rWAR.

They have an insane offense held back by a terrible pitching staff.

Top Bottom