• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

BFIB

I don't know what to think of these Walker rumors.

If all the rumors hold you have an infield of Lee at 1B, Kang at 2B, Mercer at SS and Harrison at 3rd, banking on Kang to bounce back from injury and Lee's bat to translate at his age.

Niese would be a good pickup, then the Bucs can go sign someone like Cabrera to play 2B.

Though losing Walker, he's a hometown guy. Sucks for the Bucs fans that the owners clearly don't want to invest.

Cueto's agent commented on his market and the Cardinals today. Said he'd be a good fit, doesn't hold any bad feelings.

I have to wonder if the Cardinals would actually do it though. But Mo was sent away fan favorites so he's not above doing what's best for the team even if fans don't like it at first

BFIB

Cueto's agent commented on his market and the Cardinals today. Said he'd be a good fit, doesn't hold any bad feelings.

I have to wonder if the Cardinals would actually do it though. But Mo was sent away fan favorites so he's not above doing what's best for the team even if fans don't like it at first

I want no part of a Cueto contract for what he's going to command.

Choomp

Banned
Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Mets agree to trade Niese to #Pirates for Walker, pending medical reviews.

cool I like this trade

But it feels like Jon Niese has been around for a while, so even if he wasn't all that good it's still kinda sad to see him go

Beckx

Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Mets agree to trade Niese to #Pirates for Walker, pending medical reviews.

Niese would be a good pickup, then the Bucs can go sign someone like Cabrera to play 2B.

Though losing Walker, he's a hometown guy. Sucks for the Bucs fans that the owners clearly don't want to invest.

Welp. Still don't know. I like that Niese has two team options on his contract, I don't like that he's probably only good for 170-180 innings. Barring a change our bullpen won't be the same as last year so we need starters who can eat up more innings. But we need a starter and looking at this market, I guess this is the best that can be expected with the Pirates' spending.

I have a feeling management is hoping that Taillon is ready.

Friggz

Jeff Passan:

Lots of buzz about the Nippon Ham Fighters posting Shohei Otani after the 2016 season, though it's far too early to know their intentions.

Time to go into hibernation until next off-season.

and with all that money the yankees have coming off the books next season? yes please.

3N16MA

Banned
Pirates take former NY players and turn them into gold. Worked on the Yankees and now they are trying it with the Mets.

Beckx

Niese is going to throw 200 innings of low 3 era ball and you know it

Searage Magic put to the test.

I am not expecting more innings though.

If things break right (Harrison and Polanco pick it up, Kang performs like last year, there's a solution at 1B that works), the team should be right in the thick of WC competition. I'm not going to be irrational and say they will compete for the division because of how the Cubs are looking.

If things break wrong it's going to a long season short on offense.

tbh getting a fourth starter in this market for $9M this year with two options is better than anyone could reasonably expect. Problem is for the Pirates we need him to be our 3rd starter, so come on Searage.

Pirates take former NY players and turn them into gold. Worked on the Yankees and now they are trying it with the Mets.

there is this lol

RBH

dansbyswanson.jpg

After every home game, Dansby Swanson has stayed and signed autographs and posed for pictures. And he is not just grabbing balls, scribbling and handing them back. He asks people their name, and wonders how they are doing.

"What else am I going to do with that 25 minutes?'' Swanson asks matter-of-factly. "I enjoy doing it, meeting people, taking pictures ... because it makes their day better.''

I asked him what else he wants to do with his platform and he answered quickly.

"Make this world a better place,'' Swanson said. "I've always thought about that question. Does what I'm involved in make everything better? Does me being on this team make the team better? Does me being here make this park better? Because I've lived in this world, is it better? I think that's important because it doesn't happen enough with people.''

He leans in and re-establishes eye contact, his deeper point about to arrive.

"Because, you see, people are so consumed with things that don't matter. In the grand scheme, what matters is how happy you are and how happy you make others. That's so lost these days. Everyone is so driven and they have their blinders on. So we end up living in a society where everything is me, me, me, me, me, me ... they don't worry about anything else around them. (Life) is more than a just-about- yourself type deal.''

"You were talking about relating to people,'' Swanson said. "And I think that's the biggest thing with me: My family is so down to earth that I don't put myself above anyone. That old saying of treat people how you want to be treated? My parents take that pretty seriously, and it's been instilled in me. The respect factor is so important. People like to label me the first pick and everything, but for me, it's like, I'm still just me. I will never change that, never will. In my family, we value friendships and people.

"People ask me my hobbies: well, I don't do anything else besides baseball and ping pong, so my hobby is being around people, because I like being around people,'' Swanson said. "It's just fun to see people smile.''

"You talked about connecting with readers ... well, I'm just a regular old dude,'' Swanson said. "I can't stand people who are scared to come talk to me. I just happen to be a regular guy who happens to be good at this. This is my lifestyle, but it doesn't change that I was raised in a great family, and I'm Southern and like to smile and be happy. I enjoy trying to be a good dude and hang out with people.''

So he works at remembering names after introductions. And he makes a point to ask questions to fans.

"I ask them how their day is going, because I genuinely care about how you are doing,'' Swanson said. "And if you aren't doing well, let me help you have a better day. I wish more people would do more stuff like that, because if we did, this could be a better place.''
http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro-hops/index.ssf/2015/08/dansby_swanson_of_the_hillsbor.html

So well spoken :')

RBH

That it translated to a lot of playoff appearances without a lot of titles? I was thinking that too!
Nah, I was just responding to one of the actual main takeaways of the graphic, which is how well the Braves scouted during that particular time period in comparison to others, regardless of the fact that it didn't translate to playoff success most of the time.

Did...did you just bold the whole thing?

Lazy Atlanta fans...
There were just that many good parts in the article. :')

TraBuch

Banned
So the Padres are open to trading Hunter Renfroe. Jayson Stark says the Padres are talking to the Braves about Bethancourt. Can Coppy and Hart do it again?!

RBH

So the Padres are open to trading Hunter Renfroe. Jayson Stark says the Padres are talking to the Braves about Bethancourt. Can Coppy and Hart do it again?!
Honestly, I would rather hang onto Bethancourt and see if he can bounce back instead of just giving up on him.

harSon

Banned
I honestly think Huntington tanked our chances next season, barring some considerable. I don't think our rotation is improved enough with Niese to compensate for the fact that we have a HUGE fucking hole at 2B now. Our infield in general is a fucking joke.

We have Kang (whose not a guarantee to be healthy day 1), Harrison and Mercer. I'm comfortable with the first two, who can be plugged in at 3B, SS or 2B - but Mercer was an offensive black hole last season. And assuming Kang and Harrison play SS and 3B respectively, we don't have anyone to plug in at 2B or 1B. We have Hanson in the minors, but he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in AAA - and prospects are never a sure bet.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Honestly, I would rather hang onto Bethancourt and see if he can bounce back instead of just giving up on him.

He's out of options though so they can either carry 3 catchers or trade Bethancourt. I doubt CB would pass through waivers.

Yup. Then slide him into the pen when/if Wheeler comes back.

Yep, platoon Pickles and Walker (Pickles hits lefties), bring back Bart, shore up the OF with a guy like Span or Parra.

It's not a great off-season, we still DESPERATELY need a bat, but it's not as bad as it could have been.

Jon Niese COULD be a good pitcher, but Searage has to get his curve to where it was before his shoulder gave out. If he can't turn it back into a plus pitch, he's basically a pretty poor mans J.A. Happ for them. Can eat 150 innings but wouldn't rely on him for more.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jack McNeil
‏@JackMcNeil44

Dave Stewart: "When you look at Shelby Miller, you're looking at a guy who was traded for Jason Heyward, who is worth $200 million"

This explains everything.

Beckx

Texas Rangers looking at signing Tony Barnette. I'd rather have him for the Pirates.

Closer for Yakult Swallows, 2.59 FIP, 41 saves.

Top Bottom