• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Chris Davis is outta of his mind. I hope a team isn't stupid enough to give him more than what The O's are offering. And why aren't The O's just extending Machado to a 10 year 200 mil contract right now?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/managers-on-the-evolution-of-their-role/

I thought it would make sense to ask the managers gathered here about their craft, as well.

What has changed about managing? How are the demands on the modern manager different than they once were?

Bruce Bochy, San Francisco Giants: I think the biggest change probably is, I mean, you look out here and you see all of you, the social media, the information that’s out there for everybody, analytics, metrics. We have a baseball channel now, MLB.

There’s probably more for a manager today than when I first came up because of the information we get. We have tremendous baseball operations, and it stacks up on the desk, the stuff that you get.

That’s probably where the game has changed a little bit. You have to process all this to have your team prepared, whether it’s defensively with the shifts or offensively, all the info that we get. It’s not quite as simple as it used to be.

But, you know, that’s the fun part. That’s why hopefully I’ve done a better job at working or using my coaches more, because it’s not something that you can do on your own anymore.

Joe Maddon, Chicago Cubs: Oh, yeah. Well, there’s so much more to think about. The managers in the day, they did their lineup, their bullpen, but they didn’t have all the information at their fingertips to utilize as accurately as we can right now, whether it’s offense, pitching, or defense. It wasn’t as specific.

There’s many more things today that permit you to be more specific and, I think, more confident in your decision-making, because it’s really rooted in some good, hard facts that you can prove. So there’s more to consider. There’s more to consider just in game-planning, I think, and beyond that, again, just this.

I used to watch Gene and all the dudes and Johnny Mac and Cookie and Marcel, but it was never like this. Just the accessibility, the information getting out so quickly, social media. There’s dramatic difference in all of that that was obviously not there back in the day. So there was less to have to contend with on a daily basis.

But primarily for me, I like information, and I like the fact that the information is accurate. And then beyond that, I’m very grateful that I’ve had the chance to work as long as I have because I do believe there’s still a feel involved beyond just numbers. It’s not — people want to treat it like fantasy baseball a lot, and it’s actually really baseball with real people.

If you’re able to handle the new information age and combine that with some good, old-fashioned scouting techniques or scouting abilities or teaching abilities, coaching abilities, recognizing trends, whatever’s going on quickly, that’s the way to go about it.

Mike Scioscia, Anaheim Angels: I hope not. I think a manager is a manager.

Good answer there Scioscia!

To soften the blow of losing Heyward I assume.

Probably true. Cards probably out of the running now

(Legit just kinda surprised they resigned Broxton, he would've been the last reliever I would've picked for them)

edit: $7.5m/2yr, I'm fine with that. Full no trade though, guess Broxton didn't like being jerked around the past few seasons :lol

Malo

Banned
Harper and heyward in the same outfield? That might be the best outfield in mlb with just those two players alone.

That Chapman incident really killed the Dodgers during the winter meetings. The Shelby Miller trade didn't help things either.

Damn you Dave Stewart!

Bob Nightengale says Yankees are interested in Heyward

Then again, its Bob Nightengale

edit: just kidding I'm dumb and fell for a fake tweet. But I wouldn't put it past the real Bob Nightengale!

BFIB

If the Nats sign Heyward, they could rest Werth and just run Harper and Heyward out there with no LF and still have better metrics than other clubs.

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves traded CBethancourt to Padres for RH Casey Kelly and minor league catcher Ricardo Rodriguez

Beckx

Giants rumored back in on Maeda?

Damn Nicasio was decent and a workhorse. Gonna miss him.

His stat line for last year is weird, in many ways he was worse than year before, but gave up way fewer HRs and the K/9 is nice, so his FIP was was lower than his entire career.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves traded CBethancourt to Padres for RH Casey Kelly and minor league catcher Ricardo Rodriguez

Kelly's an OK relief prospect option, but wow they got a real life catching prospect too? I'm good with this.

Top Bottom