• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

RBH

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC
#Braves traded CBethancourt to Padres for RH Casey Kelly and minor league catcher Ricardo Rodriguez

ricardo-rodriguez-mic.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm watching a playlist of bench clearing brawls from 2015 and 4 of the first 5 have featured the Royals, two of those with Ventura pitching. Must have been a fun team to watch all year.

Still scratching my head over that Cabrera deal. An offensive black hole with wildly diminishing defensive skills when Flores and Tejada are already on the roster. Is it a grit thing or something?

I guess the Mest set a precedent last year when they inexplicably awarded Cuddyer $21 million and received 1.0 WAR this past year in return.

Sanjuro

All that is left are overpriced scraps. Heyward I think is an OKAY investment for his age, but isn't Gordon the obvious choice here?

All that is left are overpriced scraps. Heyward I think is an OKAY investment for his age, but isn't Gordon the obvious choice here?

Gordon will be 32 and after a 5 year contract will be older than Heyward would be after a 10 year contract (even though there would be an opt out)

He might be a good bet but that depends on how much he gets (which depends on how much Heyward gets)

I keep thinking Justin Upton might be a really good lowkey move. Only 28, seemingly atheltic, seems to not get as much attention as the other OFers

Sanjuro

Gordon will be 32 and after a 5 year contract will be older than Heyward would be after a 10 year contract (even though there would be an opt out)

He might be a good bet but that depends on how much he gets (which depends on how much Heyward gets)

I keep thinking Justin Upton might be a really good lowkey move. Only 28, seemingly atheltic, seems to not get as much attention as the other OFers

He comes with Melvin though.

His stat line for last year is weird, in many ways he was worse than year before, but gave up way fewer HRs and the K/9 is nice, so his FIP was was lower than his entire career.
Donny used him the second half more against right handers and it was good.

jbug617

Banned
Marlins told the Red Sox it would take Eduardo Rodriguez, Mookie Betts, Yoan Moncada, Christian Vazquez and 1 more pitching prospect for Fernandez.

Doogdogg

Here's what the Marlins wanted from Boston for Fernandez:

Mookie Betts
Eduardo Rodriguez
Christian Vazquez
Yoan Moncada
pitching prospect, i.e; Anderson Espinoza

I finally listened to a Toronto sports radio show that wasn't talking about hockey.

And heard some awkwardly voiced nimbus say that the Jays' players must be so angry right now over the 'perceived lack of ambition' in the club... because a team featuring Donaldson, Tulo, JB, Russ Martin and EE is clearly aiming to be a non-contender in the AL this year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I finally listened to a Toronto sports radio show that wasn't talking about hockey.

And heard some awkwardly voiced nimbus say that the Jays' players must be so angry right now over the 'perceived lack of ambition' in the club... because a team featuring Donaldson, Tulo, JB, Russ Martin and EE is clearly aiming to be a non-contender in the AL this year.

They know that The Show cover jinx will hit Donaldson hard.

I don't know, not even making an offer to the ace that helped save your season despite having the money and resources to do so, and then proceeding to sign JA Happ for $13 million a year, would cause me to question their ambition too.

BFIB

Goold reports Heyward has made a decision, he believes its with the Cubs. Said from his sources close to Heyward's agency that St. Louis was not the choice.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!

zroid

Banned

You don't get it man. If a team doesn't hand out the richest SP contract in MLB history that means they're not trying to win!

Was it Gareth Wheeler? Sounds like Gareth Wheeler.

BFIB

Cardinals are having a terrible offseason. Lose out on Price, lose out on Heyward. That org. north came to play, Cards need to step up.

They have, well, the best offense in the league.

They have a decent rotation that could use at least one more arm but the bullpen, our weakest aspect during the playoffs, needs to be given a boost before the season starts. Not addressing that issue before the start of last season really hurt us in the first half.

Jays are probably banking on getting a starter at the trade deadline if the team is in it but they should at least address the bullpen now. It's not even a bad bullpen but there are obvious holes.

I am a little disappointed with the lack of action on the bullpen front. Wouldn't be surprised if the players are either. Still, this is a capable team.

I don't know, not even making an offer to the ace that helped save your season despite having the money and resources to do so, and then proceeding to sign JA Happ for $13 million a year, would cause me to question their ambition too.

I get that, but I think it's a little strange to think that shoring up the rotation/bullpen with Estrada, Happ and Chavez is an outright negative statement on the club's ambitions, which is how lots of Jays fans are taking it.

BFIB

Gordon makes a lot of sense for the Cards, but what is his cost going to be now?

EDIT: Local radio here in St. Louis reporting CarGo is their "other option to pursue" and that Mo has turned his attention to Colorado over the past couple of days. Got a feeling the Cards left Nashville knowing they wouldn't be a favorite to land Heyward.

zroid

Banned
They have, well, the best offense in the league.

They have a decent rotation that could use at least one more arm but the bullpen, our weakest aspect during the playoffs, needs to be given a boost before the season starts. Not addressing that issue before the start of last season really hurt us in the first half.

Jays are probably banking on getting a starter at the trade deadline if the team is in it but they should at least address the bullpen now. It's not even a bad bullpen but there are obvious holes.

I am a little disappointed with the lack of action on the bullpen front. Wouldn't be surprised if the players are either. Still, this is a capable team.

What I think people are forgetting is that the Jays had the best run differential in the majors before making any trades. You don't get that without a good balance of both starting pitching and offence.

However you do end up with a mediocre record with a good RD if your high leverage innings are bad... which they were for like 3 months. Osuna becoming the closer, Cecil returning to form (and then some), and Sanchez going to the bullpen were the biggest catalysts for the second half success IMO.

Top Bottom