• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Friggz

Best free agent class in years and the yankees sit out.....my fandom runs deep, but holy shit this is getting difficult.

BFIB

Fuck. Awful offseason so far.

Its not over yet. We still won 100 games minus some big pieces last season. Cards could literally do nothing and still keep pace with the Cubs.

But its clear that the Cubs are the go-to destination right now. Heyward wants to be a big part of history up there, its an easy sell for Theo to make.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm a Yankees can

yd48Zyr.jpg

Giants did give Greinke a 6yr. Dodgers were 3rd place in that race.

Dodgers were a distant third.

Bu-bu-but Friedman!

Its not over yet. We still won 100 games minus some big pieces last season. Cards could literally do nothing and still keep pace with the Cubs.

But its clear that the Cubs are the go-to destination right now. Heyward wants to be a big part of history up there, its an easy sell for Theo to make.
The Cubs finished three games back in the standings. Lackey and Heyward jumping ship closes that gap and more. Base Runs liked the Cubs more last year. Cubs look like they're still looking for upgrades. We've already lost a big piece in Lynn and its not even spring training yet.

Losing Heyward to the Cubs was the nightmare scenario and it'll be a tough hill to climb in the near future unless the Cubs implode because they're the Cubs.

thefro

I think it hurts a bit more than that since Heyward and Lackey were two of the Cardinals' best players (in terms of WAR in 2015 they were #1 and #3) and now they're on the Cubs.

I do agree it's baseball and anything can happen, and the Cardinals will still be a pretty good team when the dust settles after this off-season. They'll make some moves to get better.

eznark

Banned

Yeah, the young cubs surely won't improve over last year....

Fuck goddamn...Cubs are *heavy* right now. Excellent signings, and they still have all of their trade chips.

Also, anyone want a slightly irregular (but still in good condition) Brett Gardner? Please...Yankees will take anything :(

BFIB

I think it hurts a bit more than that since Heyward and Lackey were two of the Cardinals' best players (in terms of WAR in 2015 they were #1 and #3) and now they're on the Cubs.

I do agree it's baseball and anything can happen, and the Cardinals will still be a pretty good team when the dust settles after this off-season. They'll make some moves to get better.

Yep, this is a vastly different FO than the Cards are used to dealing with in the NL Central. The Cubs are a legitimate powerhouse, and the Cards are going to have to really be aggressive on the market (which they're not used to) and changing their tactics on the market to stay competitive. Classic Theo is driving up the price and poaching the competition. Nothing wrong with that at all, but the Cards can't do the "we felt we were the right fit" and the "we'll keep the powder keg dry" jargon that Cards FO has thrown out before.

Totally different game now., but the Cards are far from sunk. They'll be fine.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Fuck goddamn...Cubs are *heavy* right now. Excellent signings, and they still have all of their trade chips.

Also, anyone want a slightly irregular (but still in good condition) Brett Gardner? Please...Yankees will take anything :(

What for any more, to sign Justin and Melvin?
BTW, I never had any real illusion of signing J-Hey.

Derek Roberts ‏@Derek_M_Roberts Dec 10
We need a hero in St. Louis @JasonHeyward. Please be our guy. Don't leave for the extra dollars you'll get in Chicago. Loyalty>$. WE LOVE U.

There's just SO MUCH to unpack here. Glorious.

I really don't buy that. When everyone is getting better, you need to as well. They were what, 3 games back? We've lost a lot, and we've still got holes to fill.

Can't be greedy.

You literally could not draw up a more perfect player for what our teams #1 need is.

A 26 year old 6 WAR outfielder. That's something that hits FA once every ten years. MAYBE.

He's the PERFECT player for us.

And we didn't even make an offer. The Wilpon's are a joke, we won't be consistently competitive until they die or sell the team.

BFIB

I really don't buy that. When everyone is getting better, you need to as well. They were what, 3 games back? We've lost a lot, and we've still got holes to fill.

Keep in mind the Cubs didn't have near the injury concerns that the Cards deal with last year. Take away Arrietta, Rizzo, lose your 7th and 8th BP arms, and tell me the Cubs still win as many games.

Keep in mind the Cubs didn't have near the injury concerns that the Cards deal with last year. Take away Arrietta, Rizzo, lose your 7th and 8th BP arms, and tell me the Cubs still win as many games.
It's silly to think the injury pendulum will swing the other way any time soon though. Our team is older and our staff has more injury history.

Anything can happen because baseball but on paper, the Cubs are significantly better than us right now. Especially if Russell, Bryant, Schwarber take steps forward.

BFIB

It's silly to think the injury pendulum will swing the other way any time soon though. Our team is older and our staff has more injury history.

Anything can happen because baseball but on paper, the Cubs are significantly better than us right now. Especially if Russell, Bryant, Schwarber take steps forward.

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't think the Cards are going suddenly regress either. Its been a rough offseason, especially considering a year ago we were dealing with how to address Taveras loss, which seems like a distant memory right now.

If the Cards sign Gordon, get an innings eater to replace those innings we're losing from Lynn, I still think its a dogfight for the NL Central. Plus, the Cards have a lot of money to spend. Waino, Holliday, and Molina are off the books, the Cards could easily unload on a number of premiere players on the market.

harSon

Banned
I'm not disagreeing, I just don't think the Cards are going suddenly regress either. Its been a rough offseason, especially considering a year ago we were dealing with how to address Taveras loss, which seems like a distant memory right now.

If the Cards sign Gordon, get an innings eater to replace those innings we're losing from Lynn, I still think its a dogfight for the NL Central. Plus, the Cards have a lot of money to spend. Waino, Holliday, and Molina are off the books, the Cards could easily unload on a number of premiere players on the market.

Pirates are going to take a step back next season anyways.

Taveras' death really kicked up a shitstorm, didn't it?

What premiere players are you looking at? If we aren't willing to top 8/185 or whatever for Heyward, there's little chance they'll be outbidding everybody else for Otani, Harper, etc.

I still see the scourge of injury looming over us though. I think it puts us in a tough spot with them improving this much.

Top Bottom