• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Nationals bid $200M for Heyward. Another team, believed to be #STLCards, also was at $200M. Heyward took less to play for #Cubs.

dabig2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Nationals bid $200M for Heyward. Another team, believed to be #STLCards, also was at $200M. Heyward took less to play for #Cubs.

Probably figures to make waaaaay more from endorsements in the Chicago market, especially with all the hype this team is going to now generate next season. Going to an extremely young but also heavily talented team is just bonus.

BFIB

Heyward has the opportunity to part of something truly special if the Cubs win a WS. He can opt out again in 3 years and maximize his value. Makes total sense to take overall less money when you know you can opt out anyway.

bebop242

But Zobrist played under Maddon for years.

Just because he had never played for Madden before doesn't mean it couldn't have been a reason. Also who doesn't, as a player, want to be in a Cubs uniform if and when they win it all? He saw first hand last year what this team is capable of. Why not sign with the Cubs and see what happens. Hell Wrigley field may even improve his hitting stats which will get him more money in a few years.

Beckx

Or how about playing for Maddon and the Cubs was more appealing? Why are people assuming the only reason he picked the Cubs was solely for the best contract?

Because money is green and the % of well-advised baseball players who will disadvantage themselves to help teams earn more revenue is probably a rounding error.

BumRush

I wanted Heyward on the Mets more than the next guy but he's effectively a 3 year signing if he thinks he can opt out and get more...still, I would've loved to see him roaming the outfield at Citi next year.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Because money is green and the % of well-advised baseball players who will disadvantage themselves to help teams earn more revenue is probably a rounding error.

I'm guessing the opt-outs might be the bigger deal. Two opt-outs means that if he regresses, he can have an extra chance to rebuild while getting paid. Also, he's gonna opt out right after the next CBA, and when several teams start getting their new cable deals coming in.

I wanted Heyward on the Mets more than the next guy but he's effectively a 3 year signing if he thinks he can opt out and get more...still, I would've loved to see him roaming the outfield at Citi next year.

HeywardDivingCatchKimbrelOMG.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just because he had never played for Madden before doesn't mean it couldn't have been a reason. Also who doesn't, as a player, want to be in a Cubs uniform if and when they win it all? He saw first hand last year what this team is capable of. Why not sign with the Cubs and see what happens. Hell Wrigley field may even improve his hitting stats which will get him more money in a few years.

He's always hit well there. I'm not saying it's impossible there were other considerations though, just that expecting his decision to have been derived largely from financial considerations makes more sense than the alternatives based on the info we have.

97% route efficiency. He's the best.

bebop242

He's always hit well there. I'm not saying it's impossible there were other considerations though, just that expecting his decision to have been derived largely from financial considerations makes more sense than the alternatives based on the info we have.

That is certainly true, my original comment was from seeing multiple posts here, and elsewhere, cussing out their particular favorite team's inabilty to be the highest bidder. Like that was the end all be all.

By reports, he took less money to come to the cubs we just dont know about other teams opt out offers.

BFIB

That is certainly true, my original comment was from seeing multiple posts here, and elsewhere, cussing out their particular favorite team's inabilty to be the highest bidder. Like that was the end all be all.

By reports, he took less money to come to the cubs we just dont know about other teams opt out offers.

We may never know, and probably never will. All we know is that the Cards offer was higher, according to quite a few reports, but Heyward chose the Cubs. Why? That's his decision, but I'm sure the allure to be a part of history to win a WS there is a big part of it. Plus, he can opt out after 3 years, and hit the market right when the OF market is going to skyrocket again with Harper out there.

billeh

The chance for instant-legend status, statues, and potentially free meals for life in Chicago is pretty alluring.

It was probably opt-outs.

BFIB

Giants too, probably, maybe Angels

Would rather the Cardinals not be in on Gordon at all, tbh. Doubt he's that much better than Piscotty (or at least in terms of cost because Piscotty makes league min)

At this point, go for CarGo. Heck, you could trade for CarGo and still sign Gordon for CF. Put Grichuk in the deal for CarGo, and then you can move him to LF after Holliday goes.

Package Adams in a trade for a pitcher, and have Piscotty at 1B.

Beckx

In the p.cool department:

Yakult Swallows 2B (and one of the two best offensive players in NPB) Tetsuto Yamada was awarded uniform #1 for upcoming season. Rather than just tell him about it they had new Mariner Nori Aoki - the last player to wear the number for the Swallows - come out to present it to him.

I will be surprised if Yamada doesn't try to make the move to MLB in a few years. Only problem for him is that he won't be an IFA as young as the other best-batter-in-NPB Yuki Yanigita.

JDHarbs

I don't think the Royals are seriously in on Gordo. I wish they would be, I love the guy, but I think he's as good as gone.
A hometown discount from Gordo is going to be their only shot, but they'll give him the best offer they can. Their priority is to save money for signing the young core long term though.

My girlfriend used to work with a guy that graduated from high school with Heyward and still talks to him regularly. He said he would have accepted less money to come back to the Braves if they wanted him back.

If Heyward only had one more year until FA...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Derrick Goold
‏@dgoold
It was the #Cardinals. Please note, this is a total guarantee. Would have been for a smaller AAV than #Cubs offer.
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Nationals bid $200M for Heyward. Another team, believed to be #STLCards, also was at $200M. Heyward took less to play for #Cubs

Well, there it is.

BFIB

Man, this Miller trade is being compared to when the Cards traded Carlton.

Mo not having a good run recently.

A hometown discount from Gordo is going to be their only shot, but they'll give him the best offer they can. Their priority is to save money for signing the young core long term though.

I wish they'd just go for broke and spend for '16 and '17 without worrying past that, though. Except for Salvy, pretty much everyone can leave after '17, and there's no way they can afford to pay them all.

My girlfriend used to work with a guy that graduated from high school with Heyward and still talks to him regularly. He said he would have accepted less money to come back to the Braves if they wanted him back.

If Heyward only had one more year until FA...

I mean he could opt out in 3 years and go there when they are good again.

Also people being salty at the Cubs today is an amazing feeling after what transpired the first part of the decade.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cuddy signing is seriously going down as one of the worst signings ever. Even worse than what everyone expected.

Kind of glad he retired because he was fucking trash. At least they don't have to play him with the sad rationalization of being the 15th overall pick in the draft being washed down the drain to give him 10 million dollars a year.

Maybe Wilpon can "afford" to keep Cespedes now.

Malvingt2

‏@keithlaw
So, in summary, the Mets paid at least $8.5 million and a first-round draft pick for one year of .259/.309/.391 and 0.0-0.5 WAR

‏@keithlaw
So, in summary, the Mets paid at least $8.5 million and a first-round draft pick for one year of .259/.309/.391 and 0.0-0.5 WAR

Yep. It was awful and I hate him, don't care how nice of a clubhouse guy he is.

BUT that frees up 12.5M so, maybe the Mets can get something done now.

Top Bottom