• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

BFIB

That doesn't say much since I think the $120M Holliday contact is the biggest one we've given out.

I want the team to upgrade 1B now but I fear the contract it'd take to sign Davis.

Don't forget, the Cards had a reported $189 mil offer on the table for Price. So if its "record setting" I assume it was probably around the same money offered to Heyward.

Beckx

Could be worse. You could be reportedly interested in Mike Napoli

If we sign Mike Napoli instead of Dae Ho Lee I'm going to cry.

also hoping we aren't pursuing Matt Latos anymore.

and someone smacks NH so that he doesn't re-sign Rodriguez.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
At least he turned down the Nats. You're still great, Jason.

Those previous tweets came before anyone announced that Heyward was signing elsewhere.

ohGlp49.png

lol this guy is a Braves fan and he was being ironic.

harSon

Banned
If we sign Mike Napoli instead of Dae Ho Lee I'm going to cry.

also hoping we aren't pursuing Matt Latos anymore.

and someone smacks NH so that he doesn't re-sign Rodriguez.

I doubt we go for Dae Ho Lee. He's 33 years old and is probably going to want something comparable to Kang and Park in terms of contract length. I don't see us locking ourselves up 4 years for a 33 year old player who hasn't proven his worth in the MLB.

Heyward deal is 8yrs/$184m

No opt out? Either way that is a steal for a 26 year old elite defender who in his 6 major league seasons has put up 6 WAR three times and came close (5.8) another. He also has the type of game (athletic, good batting eye, good base runner) that figures to age well.

jbug617

Banned
No opt out? Either way that is a steal for a 26 year old elite defender who in his 6 major league seasons has put up 6 WAR three times and came close (5.8) another. He also has the type of game (athletic, good batting eye, good base runner) that figures to age well.

Gammons says he has 2 opt outs.

Rosenthal just tweeted that it includes two opt-outs.

Beckx

You're just saving that payroll for Otani.

Believe.

>:-[

seriously though at one point this week I allowed myself to believe that the ownership would be okay covering the posting fee for Maeda and NH would trade Melancon and Alvarez to make room to sign him, then sign someone like Barnette as set up man for Blanton next year.

I made myself sad.

I doubt we go for Dae Ho Lee. He's 33 years old and is probably going to want something comparable to Kang and Park in terms of contract length. I don't see us locking ourselves up 4 years for a 33 year old player who hasn't proven his worth in the MLB.

Only chance is if teams continue to think NPB infielders aren't worth it, so his market ends up soft, but you're probably right.

>:-[

seriously though at one point this week I allowed myself to believe that the ownership would be okay covering the posting fee for Maeda and NH would trade Melancon and Alvarez to make room to sign him, then sign someone like Barnette as set up man for Blanton next year.

I made myself sad.

I believed the Mets had a legitimate chance at Heyward because of the playoff money and that we were finally going to offer a long term deal.

Life is suffering Beck. Life is suffering.

When is the new CBA happening? Hasn't there been done grumbling that the owners are taking an increasing percentage of the profit?

Last I checked the percentage was 38/62 going into ST last year (don't have any reference from this year). It was 50/50 a few years ago (2011 or so) but it's slanted way in the owners favor since.

The new CBA is next year, players are gonna make stupid money.

BFIB

Opt out is probably where the snag hit w/ the Cards. I would imagine the Cards wanted him locked up at least through his age 32 season.

3N16MA

Banned
Yankees will blow up the FA market next year when all their bad money comes off the books and the rebuilding is almost done.

Ya'll will be fine, at least you have money to spend.

The Yankees have 84M coming off the books between 4 players over the next two years. Bryce Harper is a FA after the 2018 season. The Yankees should be able to reset the rate in time for Harper's availability on the market. The current 189M only stands until after the 2016 season. The team currently has 93M in commitments during the 2018 season without including pre-arbitration and arbitration eligible players. The 17M owed to McCann is not guaranteed unless he plays enough C in 2018 and totals 1000 PA in 17-18 (only had 1073 PA in 14-15).

Many of the departing bunch can be replaced with homegrown talent (this means cheap). Pre-arbitration players won't make much and arbitration eligible player shouldn't break the bank. The Yanks then have to include FA signings and any extensions they may make before the 2019 season. They should be able to work a plan where they can sign some talent now and still reset the rate which I believe Hal really wants.

I hope they don't blow big money on lesser talent just because they have money to spend (Ellsbury).

Heyward's contract is not that different than Ellsbury's in terms of AAV. He just so happens to be 4 years younger at the time of signing.

harSon

Banned
Only chance is if teams continue to think NPB infielders aren't worth it, so his market ends up soft, but you're probably right.

There's really no reason we shouldn't have gone after Park more aggressive than we did, especially if we weren't going to keep Pedro. I think they're putting too much faith in our farm system. It's really starting to look like we're punting this upcoming season, and hoping that Taillon, Glasnow, Bell, Hanson, etc. round into form by next season after getting some time under their belt post All-Star break this season.

BFIB

Goold reporting the Cards "kicked the tires" hard on Gordon while in Nashville. So I'm guessing once the Cubs got involved, and the opt outs became part of the equation, the Cards backed off.

Don't get how the Cardinals offered Price something like 7/185 but couldn't beat that offer

Looking forward to dominance of the division by the Cubs and competing for a Wild Card
and winning the world series because baseball

Seems like a pretty bad misread on the market on their part if they expected to lock him up for 8 years.

It had been reported Cardinals were totally comfortable with an opt out

I just how this decision didn't come down to the Cardinals reducing their offer because they get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I just how this decision didn't come down to the Cardinals reducing their offer because they get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere

Maybe not in 3 years though. That's timing with a lot of the younger pitchers coming up for FA.

I doubt they overvalued the sandwich pick that much. Wouldn't even move up another slot since the Cubs already gave up their first rounder for Lackey. :|

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Or how about playing for Maddon and the Cubs was more appealing? Why are people assuming the only reason he picked the Cubs was solely for the best contract?

It makes more sense than thinking he found the Cubs or Maddon more appealing for vague reasons.

Top Bottom