• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

How much of those savings will be kept in Wilpons' purse?

They owe around $60M this year in debt payments so.

Probably all of it. Not like it matters, anyway, we can't get a player to take a one year deal to come here for that much and we can't sign guys long term cause they have no money.

We're stuck in neutral until they die, straight up.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't think I would want to sign with the D-Backs if just for their hideous unis

pi-mlb-dbacks-zack-greinke-121115.vresize.1200.675.high.88.jpg
look at this shit

‏@keithlaw
So, in summary, the Mets paid at least $8.5 million and a first-round draft pick for one year of .259/.309/.391 and 0.0-0.5 WAR

That was such a terrible signing. That had David Wright written all over it. You never listen to the players. They don't know shit about constructing a team. It's like The Mets didn't pay attention the long stints on the DL he had in Colorado.

stn

Great move on picking up Heyward. $23M AAV for a young player who still has plenty of offensive upside. Defensively he's already elite. I feel bad for the Cards, they almost had Price and almost had Heyward.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My girlfriend used to work with a guy that graduated from high school with Heyward and still talks to him regularly. He said he would have accepted less money to come back to the Braves if they wanted him back.

If Heyward only had one more year until FA...
First opt out is after Markakis's contract is up.

BELIEVE

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ATLANTA - Cocaine and alcohol killed former Atlanta Braves pitcher Tommy Hanson last month, a Georgia coroner said on Friday, finding that an accidental overdose had caused the death of an athlete once considered one of baseball's most promising pitchers.

Beckx

Teams are waiting for the FA market to settle, but odds are he'll be in the big leagues, Mets are heavily interested last I checked.

Unlikely now after the gambling scandal. His career in NPB is over (Tigers officially cut ties with him) and we'll see how it affects his MLB chances. Weighing in his favor: the pitching market. Against him: being involved with baseball's unforgivable sin.

jbug617

Banned
Phillies Astros trade announced. Deal has changed. Phillies get Appel

The Phillies-Astros deal is announced but not as previously reported. Phillies now get Mark Appel instead of OF Derek Fisher. Interesting!

Ken Giles and shortstop Jonathan Arauz from Phils for Mark Appel, Harold Arauz, Thomas Eshelman, Brett Oberholtzer and Velasquez

Man the guy picked over Kris Bryant has been traded. Astros screwed that one up.
Phillies got a guy that was picked over a guy with 5 WAR and upside, so it isn't a bad deal. Just wish the Stros were able to swindle more for Appel, that's a lot of pitching depth for a reliever and at best utility man.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Phillies got a guy that was picked over a guy with 5 WAR and upside, so it isn't a bad deal. Just wish the Stros were able to swindle more for Appel, that's a lot of pitching depth for a reliever and at best utility man.

I was happy with the trade the way it was.

If you're going to trade Appel, pawn him off elsewhere for another deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was happy with the trade the way it was.

If you're going to trade Appel, pawn him off elsewhere for another deal.

Hard to find a better deal for a guy who has been complete trash so far. Astros did well.

Giles isn't a FA till 2020 and hes only 1 year older than Appel. People getting way too caught up in a guy being the #1 overall pick.

MC Safety

Mike "Cruddier and Cruddier" Cuddyer has opted for retirement.

The Mets and their fans will henceforth refer to this as addition by subtraction.

One day later, the pain still stings. How do you cope Barves GAF?

It'll be interesting to see how much Heyward gets booed the first time the Cubs come to Busch

I like the guy and hold no hard feelings over him choosing the Cubs, but all Cubs are fair game for booing in my mind

I bet Lackey gets a standing ovation first time he comes to bat, though

Friggz

I wonder if the package that the phillies received for GIles forces the yankees to shop Miller a little harder. Or atleast the least convince the yankees that they can get a really good return for him.

Josh5890

It'll be interesting to see how much Heyward gets booed the first time the Cubs come to Busch

I like the guy and hold no hard feelings over him choosing the Cubs, but all Cubs are fair game for booing in my mind

I bet Lackey gets a standing ovation first time he comes to bat, though

I don't see Heyward getting a ton of boos over the usual. He only played for the Cardinals for one year. It's not like there was a long history between them or a bad break up.

Then again I could be naive.

Hieberrr

Just got my first Jays flex pack ever. Weekend games for life.

Admittedly, I didn't really start following until last year. How do you guys keep track of all of the teams during the season, both inter and intra league?

BFIB

Just got my first Jays flex pack ever. Weekend games for life.

Admittedly, I didn't really start following until last year. How do you guys keep track of all of the teams during the season, both inter and intra league?
MLB-GAF, MLB At Bat, fantastic app, and MLB Network.

I don't see Heyward getting a ton of boos over the usual. He only played for the Cardinals for one year. It's not like there was a long history between them or a bad break up.

Then again I could be naive.

Well, typically former Cardinals get standing ovations (fucking Skip Schumaker gets one every time he comes), so I guess I mean that any boos at all will be a pretty different reaction. Though I guess there havent been many Cardinals who signed with the Cubs (which is probably the biggest driver of boos)

If Pujols would've come a year or two after he left, he probably would've been booed too. Doesn't look like he'll be coming to Busch at all though, which is a major fuckup by MLB

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think I've got prospect fever. Having dreams about Freeman to the Astros for Reed, Singleton, Kyle Tucker, and Francis Martes.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Astros could of drafted Kris Bryant? Bryant/Springer/Altuve/Correa would of been so good.

In hindsight, sure. I mean, lots of people were sure that Appel would be starting in the majors in about two years. (Other than Harold Reynolds who said the year HE WAS DRAFTED... but it's Harold Reynolds saying that). It's just one of those things.

I think I've got prospect fever. Having dreams about Freeman to the Astros for Reed, Singleton, Kyle Tucker, and Francis Martes.

How about just Singleton? ;)

In hindsight, sure. I mean, lots of people were sure that Appel would be starting in the majors in about two years. (Other than Harold Reynolds who said the year HE WAS DRAFTED... but it's Harold Reynolds saying that). It's just one of those things.

How about just Singleton? ;)

Astros were trying to be cute and drafted a pitcher instead. Should of gone with the position player.

Top Bottom