• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Strasburg is irrelevant.

The Nationals had a 6-0 lead with a Cy Young candidate on the mound. End of story.

Also, I love how Gio wouldn't own up to sucking and got defensive with reporters. "I left with the win and gave my team a chance to win. That's what I'm asked to do." No, you were asked to not botch a 6-0 lead by walking 4 people in an inning.

Strasburg is irrelevant.

The Nationals had a 6-0 lead with a Cy Young candidate on the mound. End of story.

Nope. That's called not giving it your all.

Gio clearly didn't have it, and if the Nationals had a viable long reliever they could have taken him out.

Storen pitched 4 of the 5 games, including the last 3. If the Nationals had a viable long reliever to have pitched some innings, they wouldn't have had to use Storen like that.

It would be nice if you never needed flexibility. Sometimes you can win like that. But to give yourself the best chance to win, you throw everything you've got.

For that matter, Strasburg coming out in the 9th, like Randy Johnson against the Yankees in 2001, would have been awesome.

beast786

Strasburg is irrelevant.

Also, I love how Gio wouldn't own up to sucking and got defensive with reporters. "I left with the win and gave my team a chance to win. That's what I'm asked to do." No, you were asked to not botch a 6-0 lead by walking 4 people in an inning.

See no problem as long as he is consistent. He also should then blame himself if team losses 1-0.

jman2050

I'm all for giving A-Rod the benefit of the doubt but he's 37 years old and his hand is probably completely jacked up until next season so Girardi, do what you need to do.

Storen pitched 4 of the 5 games, including the last 3. If the Nationals had a viable long reliever to have pitched some innings, they wouldn't have had to use Storen like that.
Storen's appearances had nothing to do with the lack of a viable long man out of the bullpen. He pitched in games 1, 4, and 5 in close games with an opportunity to close out each game for the Nats. The Game 3 appearance was questionable but the logic was to keep him sharp moreso than a lack of arms to pitch in a blowout loss. This seems like an incredible oversight with no off days between games 3, 4, and 5.

I do agree that Davey Johnson seemed to have lost faith in his middle relief guys and it probably played into his decision to leave Gio in the game. Ditto for pitching Zimmerman and E-Jax out of the pen.

beast786

Mo Vaughn v David Wells?

please, baby fielder can take both on his own.

prince-fielder-cecil-fielder.jpg

Coins

Banned
I haven't really heard anyone talk about why the Nats didn't walk Kozma since Motte was the next batter. Why pitch to a hot hitter when you could have got Motte out of the game and had a cold pinch hitter at bat?

Anyone?

Ravager61

I haven't really heard anyone talk about why the Nats didn't walk Kozma since Motte was the next batter. Why pitch to a hot hitter when you could have got Motte out of the game and had a cold pinch hitter at bat?

Anyone?

The Cardinals would have just pinch hit for Motte I think.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah that's the point. The Nats get the Cards fireballer out of the game and make a cold pinch hitter beat them instead of Kozma.

Too much hindsight in your post, imo.

Kozma is a dude that has sucked in AAA for 2 years. Can't get deluded by a "hot streak" he's not that good, and Storen failed with him, period.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bud Selig
You have said you want to expand instant replay to include reviews of fair or foul balls and trapped balls. Will that expanded replay be in place for next season?

“I think we’ll have it for sure. They’re working on cameras in all the ballparks. We need the right cameras. Should we have them by next year? We’d better.”
So uhh what changed? He has repeatedly said no one in baseball wants IR. (which is laughable).

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/13/bud-selig-wed-better-have-expanded-replay-next-season/

It is still amazing to me that they havent put a 5th umpire in a booth. Dont see why the umpire's union would be against it (unless they need their bathroom breaks, they are old).

Anyone?
Storen already walked Molina and Freese. IBBing the bases loaded in a tie game isn't very smart when your pitcher is missing the zone so much. And it's not like he made a bad pitch to Kozma. The Nats have been getting him out with away pitches all series.

By the way, the umpiring crew that upheld the Infield Fly Rule call against the Braves is doing the ALCS. Sam Holbrook, the umpire that made the IFR call on a 225-foot fly ball, is at second base for Game 1 and will be the home plate umpire in Game 3.

McNei1y

Nationals screwed themselves by shutting down Strasburg.

You have to throw the kitchen sink at the other team in the playoffs. That means starters are now honorary members of the bullpen.

I don't care who started game 4. Either Strasburg or Detwiler would have been available for long relief when Gio showed he was in trouble.

Or maybe one of the starters comes out of the bullpen in a different game the Nationals don't have to use Storen THREE damn days in a row. That's the way you lose a series.

Strasburg didn't blow the game though. The Strasburg argument is already old and tired.

We shat the bed in the most important game in our history. End of story. Nothing drastically changed. Gio and pitchers didn't locate and defense became an issue throughout. The Cardinals deserved it. They chipped away and came back. They held it together.

that shit was bullshit

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...olders-information-buying-164056379--mlb.html

World Series tix? HA! They would have lost to the Giants in the NLCS :p

if your trash talking is anything to go by you expect a giants tigers world series?

Strasburg didn't blow the game though. The Strasburg argument is already old and tired.

We shat the bed in the most important game in our history. End of story. Nothing drastically changed. Gio and pitchers didn't locate and defense became an issue throughout. The Cardinals deserved it. They chipped away and came back. They held it together.

that shit was bullshit

this sounds like bullshit to me. if stasburg was pitching there is a pretty good chance there is no game five and the nationals had a few days to rest before playing in the NLCS. thats not to say they didnt shit the bed in the last six innings of game five, just that that whole game may have been irrelevant.

McNei1y

this sounds like bullshit to me. if stasburg was pitching there is a pretty good chance there is no game five and the nationals had a few days to rest before playing in the NLCS. thats not to say they didnt shit the bed in the last six innings of game five, just that that whole game may have been irrelevant.

Obviously. But the decision was made, no need to talk about it. He could've possibly pitched terribly like he did the last 3 games. Who knows. People are talking about last night's loss like it was inevitable unless we had Strasburg.

Obviously. But the decision was made, no need to talk about it. He could've possibly pitched terribly like he did the last 3 games. Who knows. People are talking about last night's loss like it was inevitable unless we had Strasburg.

Welcome to the world of casual fans.

I still remember by Facebook friend feed blowing up with anger when the Braves traded Jeff Francoeur.

turnbuckle

I'm not expecting a Giants/Tigers World Series

I'm HOPING for a Giants/Tigers World Series

Hoping tigers vs cards. I can't stand the cards and I want the tigers to have a chance to exact revenge. What is more likely to happen is that the cards will win back to back and everyone quits watching baseball forever and ever

Go Team

*Guess I'll ramble a bit. Pretty much gotta roll with A-Rod after how crappy Chavez looked swinging last night. You weren't gonna use Nunez there due to his shaky defense (and now he's off the roster) and Nix needs to stay on the bench in case someone gets hurt so... *shrug*

let's a go andy

turnbuckle

They should have had stras available in the bullpen. Then if he lost the game people could quit talking about the whole ordeal. Who am I kidding?

The Nationals should have started Strasburg in the bullpen and probably would have been a perfect closer while Storen was injured. Starting as a reliever obviously didn't negatively impact Kris Medlen any. All he needed was two weeks in the minors to stretch out and he was ready to go.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
john smoltz just said that the yankees have the best record in baseball.

supermanwrong.jpeg

Top Bottom