• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Who what? There is no way on God's green earth Jeter is not playing next season. He won't even be late for spring training. At worst it screws him up enough that he permanently loses his mojo next year, but its not like we just saw him retire.

Toth

Well, after sleeping on it, I still think the Yankees are in a sad position to get swept. Losing that game after tying it is so incredibly deflating, never mind Jeter being lost. Worse still, it gave the Tigers (and Verlander) the confidence that no matter how bad they screwed up yesterday, they still pulled off the win.

But Micheal Kay did make an interesting point last night: The pressure is off the Yankees now. Now, no one expects them to win it all without Jeter and this injury kinda gives them an out. Perhaps that will finally help relax guys and maybe make something happen. I still want to see Swisher benched though for his embarrassing all around play yesterday.

P.S How am I a putz for defending Jeter? The guy has one hell of a positive track record.

sangreal

It's sad to see Yankee Stadium like that. The place is not small enough to fake a sellout like Fenway.

there was an entire empty section in the 200 level last night. My section (field level by the left field foul pole) was notably sparse too. We ended up moving to get some more space

sangreal

iS9oPgcNwt0Fo.gif

Annoucers: "He's fine"

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My one regret is never RIPing the Videos from my DVR of the playoff run for the Giants in 2010. I got the 2 world series products they sold but one was bluray and not the full games while the other was the full games of World Series and 2 NLCS games but only DVD.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My one regret is never RIPing the Videos from my DVR of the playoff run for the Giants in 2010. I got the 2 world series products they sold but one was bluray and not the full games while the other was the full games of World Series and 2 NLCS games but only DVD.
mlb doesnt even sell the full games for older series. There are only like 2 braves games that they sell. 92 gm 7 and 95 gm 6. Fucking sucks.
Who was that? Cal?
ron darling i think

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
mlb doesnt even sell the full games for older series. There are only like 2 braves games that they sell. 92 gm 7 and 95 gm 6. Fucking sucks.

So stupid. Could make so much money off me from that :/

Or ability to just stream old games. Id love to watch playoff games from the past.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So stupid. Could make so much money off me from that :/

Or ability to just stream old games. Id love to watch playoff games from the past.
i hope they are in the process of converting all of the games, if not then yeah they are missing out on a lot of revenue.

But Micheal Kay did make an interesting point last night: The pressure is off the Yankees now. Now, no one expects them to win it all without Jeter and this injury kinda gives them an out. Perhaps that will finally help relax guys and maybe make something happen. I still want to see Swisher benched though for his embarrassing all around play yesterday.

No it's not, the pressure is never off the Yankees to win.

beast786

P.S How am I a putz for defending Jeter? The guy has one hell of a positive track record.

wait , Kay thinks because of jeter injury , NY the best record in American League is now all of a sudden as underdog to the team with record playoff team in American League playoffs. And the New York nation now expects Yankees to loose.

OK.

highest payroll , with best record is now underdog. god I hate him.

VRMN

If the Tigers win today, I don't see how the Yankees even possibly come back. And with Kuroda having not started on short rest (and done very poorly in relief on short rest), that may very well happen.

If the Yankees don't win today, I'm smelling a sweep.

If the Tigers win today, I don't see how the Yankees even possibly come back. And with Kuroda having not started on short rest (and done very poorly in relief on short rest), that may very well happen.

I been called that Tigers will win. They always kick Yankees ass.

jman2050

You should know better than to make definitive assertions like that. As if Verlander pitching is an automatic win.

VRMN

You should know better than to make definitive assertions like that. As if Verlander pitching is an automatic win.

It's definitely not, and certainly not against the Yankees. "Smelling" a sweep is not the same thing as saying one would definitely happen, at least not in my book. But the Yankees would definitely be on the ropes against the best pitcher in baseball to avoid going down 0-3. That is not a favorable situation to be in, not in the least, and as such I would almost consider this a must-win for New York today.

In related news, they won't have Valverde to mash in the ninth for the foreseeable future:

Leyland temporarily removes Valverde as closer

It's definitely not, and certainly not against the Yankees. "Smelling" a sweep is not the same thing as saying one would definitely happen, at least not in my book. But the Yankees would definitely be on the ropes against the best pitcher in baseball to avoid going down 0-3. That is not a favorable situation to be in, not in the least, and as such I would almost consider this a must-win for New York today.

In related news, they won't have Valverde to mash in the ninth for the foreseeable future:

Leyland temporarily removes Valverde as closer

Thank God

VRMN

Better late than never. Almost anyone would be better than Valverde right now, but the Tigers do not have an obvious closer in waiting. I think that weighed on Leyland's decision process until it was obvious that the situation was untenable. I mean, Dotel has poor splits against lefties against a lefty-dominated lineup, Benoit and Coke have been nearly as heartburn-inducing as Valverde at times this season, and Albuquerque is too young for Leyland to trust in the role. Leyland loves roles and he's being forced to go to closer-by-committee, which is the last thing in the world he wants to do.

Still can't understand why Girardi kept Lowe in. 2-0 in the 8th and you keep Lowe in?!?!
I think he was way too focused on game 2 preserving the bullpen.

Lineups!

NEW YORK YANKEES DETROIT TIGERS
Ichiro Suzuki, LF Austin Jackson, CF
Robinson Cano, 2B Quintin Berry, LF
Mark Teixeira, 1B Miguel Cabrera, 3B
Raul Ibanez, DH Prince Fielder, 1B
Russell Martin, C Delmon Young, DH
Alex Rodriguez, 3B Andy Dirks, RF
Curtis Granderson, CF Jhonny Peralta, SS
Nick Swisher, RF Alex Avila, C
Jayson Nix, SS Omar Infante, 2B

Top Bottom