• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Sanjuro

Of course Constanza hits a triple

DK89I.gif

Know its been said, but really shitty that a whole season can come down to a few crummy innings. They really need to make this best of 5.

Allegedly, Selig wanted to make it a best of 3, but no one liked the idea. Then again, he also claims no one tells him they like instant replay, so I'm thinking his circle of advisors aren't the brightest.

carlos

There's a reason the braves haven't won in the past 18 years with chipper.....

Anyway, game was lost when Fredi went with Durbin instead of Kimbrel with man on third and one out in the 7th; unorthodox move, but given Kimbrel's K rates, it was do or die right there.

Hope the Cards crush the Nats btw

Krowley

I love the 1 game elimination.

Tough shit, win your division and you don't have to play in it.

I agree, and I'm a Braves fan.

It makes winning your division mean something again. The concept of a Wild card in general sucks ass, but this makes it a little more tolerable.

Yeah, it sucks to be forced to play in a game like this, but that's why you better win the pennant race. Real baseball is mostly about the pennant race.

jman2050

Also you can call the 1-game elimination unfair but heck, I'm in the "it gives you a reason to win your division, tough shit" crowd.

Sanjuro

Also you can call the 1-game elimination unfair but heck, I'm in the "it gives you a reason to win your division, tough shit" crowd.

I think it's the right idea, just implemented at the wrong place. The World Series winner should have to play the Wild Card winners in one game playoffs to keep their championship.

Mrbob

162 games played and it comes down to a 1 game elimination. So stupid. The better team about to get knocked out due to having a bad day.

cashman

Banned
Braves/Cardinals thoughts:

-- I think the absolute key for the Cardinals in this game is to score on Kris Medlen in the first inning. If Medlen has any jitters at all, they will be gone after the first inning. The Braves have a lot of trouble in games where they fall behind in the first inning. It tends to get in their heads a little bit.

Likewise, if the Braves score an early run or two and get Medlen a quick lead, it may be a long day for the Cardinals.
So much for that

Sanjuro

162 games played and it comes down to a 1 game elimination. So stupid. The better team about to get knocked out due to having a bad day.

I normally agree with this, however it's the Wild Card. The divisions should be tweaked anyway.

clemenx

Banned
1 or 7 games are basically the same when it comes to baseball randomness... Playoffs are always going to be unfair.

Balancing the schedules so the regular season records mean something should be priority.

Top Bottom