• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

As much as I dislike Arods performance I don't think you trade him. Let him be the full time DH and move Jeter to 3rd during except during interleague play.

I think you go another year before moving him.

They must feel he's going to be completely useless and untradeable in a year and are trying to dump him while he still has some value. But yeah I don't see how it's worth it unless they get some sucker to take more than half the contract. It's not like they have any hot-shit position prospects they can call up for free. I ,uh, don't think Dante Bichette Jr. is going to make up the difference just yet.

Fox318

They must feel he's going to be completely useless and untradeable in a year and are trying to dump him while he still has some value. But yeah I don't see how it's worth it unless they get some sucker to take more than half the contract. It's not like they have any hot-shit position prospects they can call up for free. I ,uh, don't think Dante Bichette Jr. is going to make up the difference just yet.

At this point you are going to have to eat a ton of money anyway. You might as well stick with the deal you have made.

Even if the Yankees eat a ton of money I wouldnt want a player like Arod since he is signed for so long. What if he completely falls off? You are going to be stuck wasting a roster spot for several years for a guy that might give you little to no production.

And damn you Cards fans pulling for the Yanks to make a comeback!
Unless you're rooting for the Giants out of pure hatred/spite like the Braves/Brewers/Cubs/Reds fans, I think we we're both rooting for an easier or fresher matchup. ;-)

Also, :lol at the possible elimination game being the afternoon game. Shame that I'll miss tonight's game though. Lincecum/Wainwright looks like a great matchup.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I hate the Yankees, they will be the easier of the two teams to face in the World Series for whomever wins the NLCS. That said, if they do manage to get to the World Series, they would have a huge amount of momentum on their side, they'd be like the 04 Red Sox with less steriods, but the same amount of Jeters.

Because he is terrible defensively at SS.

well yea, but he wont move.

mlbtraderumors.com said:
Alex Rodriguez Might Accept Trade
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 18 at 11:29am CST]

Alex Rodriguez would welcome a trade from the Yankees under the right circumstances, Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY reports. Rodriguez won’t ask to be traded, but he has told close friends he won’t block a deal as long as he’s going to a large-market team.

The Marlins, Angels, White Sox and Dodgers could pursue the slumping 37-year-old, Nightengale suggests. Rodriguez can block any trade and has five years and $114MM on his contract, so he won’t be easy to move. At this level, dollars figure in as much as talent. "They're not trades. They're business deals," Brewers GM Doug Melvin noted.

Baseball executives suggested to Nightengale that Rodriguez is worth $7-10MM per season at this stage in his career. Manager Joe Girardi has benched Rodriguez against right-handed pitching, an indication the Yankees doubt his ability to produce. The Yankees and Marlins have reportedly had preliminary discussions about a deal involving Rodriguez, though both sides have publicly denied the reports.

He's gone. Hello Marlins!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There is no point in trading A-Rod now unless somebody steps in and picks up at least 75% of the contract or whatever and thats not going to happen.

Really don't get why he would want to go the Marlins anyway. They'll probably be shooting to have a lower payroll than the damn Rays next season.

There is no point in trading A-Rod now unless somebody steps in and picks up at least 75% of the contract or whatever and thats not going to happen.

Really don't get why he would want to go the Marlins anyway. They'll probably be shooting to have a lower payroll than the damn Rays next season.

It's pretty obvious really-

For the Yankees- Arod is becoming to much of a focus of the team and it's impacting the overall atmosphere. His contract is looming over them and every day we have to hear, "What are they going to do with Arod? What are they going to do with Arod? What are they going to do with Arod?" The Yankees are one of the few teams that can afford, and might be willing to eat $60 million to move him. And theres also the tension now created from all this benching between him, Girardi and the management.

For the Marlins-

They need to sell tickets, and say what you want about Arods performance, he sells tickets. For ~$60 over 5 years they would easily recoup that money in tickets and merchandise. Plus he's a Miami guy, he lives there, he loves it there, and he'll be a hero to the Hispanic crowd as he starts breaking all these baseball records.

It's pretty obvious really-

For the Yankees- Arod is becoming to much of a focus of the team and it's impacting the overall atmosphere. His contract is looming over them and every day we have to hear, "What are they going to do with Arod? What are they going to do with Arod? What are they going to do with Arod?" The Yankees are one of the few teams that can afford, and might be willing to eat $60 million to move him. And theres also the tension now created from all this benching between him, Girardi and the management.

For the Marlins-

They need to sell tickets, and say what you want about Arods performance, he sells tickets. For ~$60 over 5 years they would easily recoup that money in tickets and merchandise. Plus he's a Miami guy, he lives there, he loves it there, and he'll be a hero to the Hispanic crowd as he starts breaking all these baseball records.

What makes you think he will still break any records? in 2007 he hit 54, then he dropped to 35, 30, 30, 16, 18. So the pattern is a drop followed by a plateau for 3 years. If that holds up he would have 1 more year at around 17 Hrs and then another big drop. If that pattern holds he would finish up around 700 HR's, but that isnt even accounting for lost playing time which has to be a real possibility as his production continues to decline. I dont see any way he gets close to Bonds now, 115 HR is a huge amount to make up. It would take 7 seasons at 18HR per season. I cant imagine him playing until he is 43, or maintaining that level of producing for 7 more years.

What makes you think he will still break any records? in 2007 he hit 54, then he dropped to 35, 30, 30, 16, 18. So the pattern is a drop followed by a plateau for 3 years. If that holds up he would have 1 more year at around 17 Hrs and then another big drop. If that pattern holds he would finish up around 700 HR's, but that isnt even accounting for lost playing time which has to be a real possibility as his production continues to decline. I dont see any way he gets close to Bonds now, 115 HR is a huge amount to make up. It would take 7 seasons at 18HR per season. I cant imagine him playing until he is 43, or maintaining that level of producing for 7 more years.

To pass get 115 more over 5 years he'd need to average 23/year, which is doable, but certainly not guaranteed. But even if he doesn't pass Bonds he'll be passing some big names and closing in on others. He only needs 14 more to pass Willy Mays and 68 to pass Babe. He's also about 300 away from being the all-time RBI leader.

see5harp

It's funny because there was talk on another board I frequent whether Holliday or LVPence is more clutch.

Holliday is hitting some line drives and hard shots at least. Pence is just grounding to short or getting lucky bloop hits when he isn't completely missing pitches out of the strike zone.

I have no idea how credible Doug Gottlieb is when it comes to baseball but he was just on the radio saying that he has heard from people with the Yankees that benching Arod has nothing to do with his production. He said that management wants him out and they knew he wouldnt waive his no trade clause unless they forced him to.

Top Bottom