• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

Wow, Heaney signed with the Marlins. Appel will look pretty dumb if he doesn't sign unless he goes and post insane numbers.

Yeah, after reading about he definitely wasn't signing, to end up signing shortly after, got to remember it's all posturing. Thing was, it all came from the Marlins' side. I hate that franchise and the douche horse Loria rode in on.

I'm curious if Giolito signs, and for how much. I still don't think Appel signs. The most the Pirates can give him is 3.8 million. For the guy who wanted 6, and then said he would take 4.8(what Correa signed for). And to be in a place he never wanted to be.

Stranger things than turning down 3.8 mil guaranteed have happened though.

Sweet! Today's Nashville game was rained out so tomorrow they are playing a double header. My $10 tickets (behind home plate like 10 rows deep...perfecto!) will be good for both games.

I love minor league ball!

Minor league parks are the best. That's what I like about new MLS stadiums. They have that intimate minor league field, where they incorporate the field into the surrounding city rather than shutting everything out.

jakncoke

Banned
MLB officials have seem pleased by the new rules and their effects, they have said they want to wait until the July 13 deadline before making final judgment. One MLB official said he has sensed some "grumbling" from the union side over the Appel case.

Does this mean this could be the only season where they have this retarded shit and it could possibly go back to the old ways or at the very least a better way. Like i dunno a tax system as well or something. Not losing fucking draft picks.

harSon

Banned
Fuck Appel and Boras.

I was hoping we'd be able to sign Walker Buehler, but their greedy asses are probably going to make that an impossibility. Either our remaining pool is going to go to Appel's whiny ass, or Boras is going to drag this shit to the last second and Appel won't sign, leaving us little to no time to work some deals with our remaining unsigned draft picks.

Does this mean this could be the only season where they have this retarded shit and it could possibly go back to the old ways or at the very least a better way. Like i dunno a tax system as well or something. Not losing fucking draft picks.

At least we'd get the 9th pick overall next draft in compensation if Appel doesn't sign, which is supposed to be deeper.

They shouldnt change the system just because Boras is an asshole and he found a client dumb enough to believe his lies. I gotta think after a few years of this the players will learn that going back to school wont get them anymore money.

cashman

Banned
Yeah, Castellanos is originally a third baseman but the Tigers have him playing in RF now in AA. It's more than likely that Nick will be flanking Austin Jackson in either LF or RF as early as late 2013. To give up Turner and Castellanos for a talented but inconsistent corner outfielder might be something I could see Dombrowski doing though, considering Mike Illitch (team owner) is clearly pushing to win now before he croaks.

I sure hope such a trade doesn't happen. Our farm system is pretty lackluster outside of those two at the top, and I'm not convinced at all that Upton would be what we need to put us over the top. What we really need is a 2nd baseman or shortstop (I presume Jhonny could take over at 2nd) with a bigger glove than a bat. Cabrera's range is awful at third, but he has good hands and a good arm. If we had a shortstop with any kind of range at all that could offset the problem a bit.

You guys have a nice player down on the GCL team!

tc farks

David Ortiz publicly stated his support recently for the manager, but another respected player on the team said privately that it was all for show. That same player has gone weeks without speaking to Valentine and said that the manager does not have the support of “anyone” in the clubhouse … Valentine went out to the mound in Chicago for a visit with his pitcher, and all the infielders joined him for the conference except star second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who remained at his position.

Edes ads that players are grumbling about the Youkilis trade and that they are taking complaints about Bobby Valentine to GM Ben Cherington. Who, quite obviously, was not on board with the Valentine hire in the offseason, but rather had it foisted on him by team president Larry Lucchino.

There's nothing left to say about Lucchino that hasn't already been said. The guy is just a twat twatting it up. The Valentine debacle is somewhat entertaining to follow though, so I do thank him.

cashman

Banned
Who's that? Once we get below A ball I stop paying attention. Unless this was sarcasm :p

Austin Schotts. I played on the same summer team as him last year. He's a blazer that plays in the middle infield, and he has a pretty good bat with some pop. He's currently hitting the cover out of the ball in rookie ball. Also he's a pretty cool guy.

I also know Jake Thompson who is pitching for the tigers rookie team, but I am not as good as friends with him.

Rays have come to an agreement with Richie Shaffer. Shaffer gets a $1.7125 million bonus which is just under MLB's slot recommendation ($1.725 million) for the 25th pick.

Gausman, Appel, and Giolito are the only ones left. The deadline is 5 PM ET.

New York Mets Lineup:
1) Ruben Tejada – SS
2) Daniel Murphy – 2B
3) David Wright – 3B
4) Ike Davis – 1B
5) Lucas Duda – RF
6) Scott Hairston – LF
7) Kirk Nieuwenhuis – CF
8) Josh Thole – C
9) Chris Young – RHP

Atlanta Braves Lineup:
1) Michael Bourn – CF
2) Martin Prado – LF
3) Jason Heyward – RF
4) Chipper Jones – 3B
5) Freddie Freeman – 1B
6) Dan Uggla – 2B
7) David Ross – C
8) Jack Wilson – SS
9) Tim Hudson – RHP

Chris Young vs. Larry Jones terrifies me. Larry isn't a Metkiller anymore but that's a guy you don't want to throw fastballs to. Young throws 85% fastballs and needs to elevate them to be effective.

252612_3830475397788_1108030398_n.jpg

Chicago weather!

Is there a hitter in baseball that you *should* throw fastballs to?
Let me rephrase.

Larry at this point locks onto fastballs of any sped and launches them. I once saw Parnell throw a 98 MPH fastballs away and watched Larry flick his wrist and pop it opposite field for a HR. However he does get fooled alot on changeups/curveballs. It's not easy to get a fastball by Jones, even a good one.

And yes, there are plenty of hitters you can throw fastballs to, mainly in zones where they can't do anything with the pitch (such as pounding David Wright inside). I've watched Larry since he had that horrible accident way back in the way, and he just doesn't seem to have that zone. Now in the latter part of his career he seems to guess/sit fastball alot more.

McNei1y

Excellent. According to Twitter, the Nats signed 'Little Gio'

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
#Nationals have signed 1st-rder Lucas Giolito.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
Nats sign Giolito. $2.925 million.

Pirates and Mark Appel will not reach a deal.

No word yet on the Orioles and Kevin Gausman.

Nationals went above slot recommendation or Lucas Giolito. MLB's slot suggestion for the 16th pick is $2.1 million. Nationals signed him at $2.925 million.

clemenx

Banned
Good for Giolito, I wanted the Pirates to take him instead of Apple. Huntington would have probably taken him if anyone had selected Appel.

cashman

Banned
Pirates and Mark Appel will not reach a deal.

No word yet on the Orioles and Kevin Gausman.

Nationals went above slot recommendation or Lucas Giolito. MLB's slot suggestion for the 16th pick is $2.1 million. Nationals signed him at $2.925 million.

This just popped up on my twitter:

Kevin Gausman ‏@KevinGausman
Happy to be the newest member of the Baltimore Orioles organization!!! Living my dream!! #GoBirds!

Yep, Gausman has reached a deal with the Orioles. No dollar figure has surfaced, but it's not expected to be too far away from the recommended slot bonus of $4.2 million.

Mark Appel will be the only first rounder to not sign. Sucks for the Pirates.

clemenx

Banned
Yep, Gausman has reached a deal with the Orioles. No dollar figure has surfaced, but it's not expected to be too far away from the recommended slot bonus of $4.2 million.

Mark Appel will be the only first rounder to not sign. Sucks for the Pirates.

Keith Law says 4.32 million.

With Appel's failure to sign, the Pirates will select 9th overall in the 2013 draft no matter where they finish in the standings this year.

Pirates said they literally offered the last dollar they could before dipping into the penalty that would have lost their first round pick next year.

The Braves are supposedly talking to the Marlins about re-acquiring Omar Infante to replace Simmons.

I don't think I could laugh any harder if that happened.

harSon

Banned
Ugh, we had a terrible draft. No Brandon Thomas or Walker Buehler either...

Fuck you Appel and Boras. I hope Appel has a shitty season at Stanford next season, and loses a shit ton of money because of it. And hopefully these new draft restrictions make Boras an undesirable choice for an agent. What a fucking greedy sleaze ball. And thank you MLB for refusing us the ability to spend the only way our franchise seems willing to spend :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom