• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Thats what I figured after I posted that. Thats sad it was only the 12th. If Cain hit a HR off of him IDK what I'd do.

Edit: Its funny of Whiteside and Penny are both playing in this game for us.

Not according to baseball science

Edit: Wait are you saying that Costanza is the better player or is my sarcasm detector way broken

It was very obvious to anyone with functioning eyes that August 2011 Constanza was miles better than August 2011 Heyward.

I just don't get the hate for Durbin. Yeah, he was total ass in April, but he's been solid since. His inherited runners rate is great. He had a bad night tonight, so what? Venters has been total shit all season but no one screams about him.

Sharp

I just don't get the hate for Durbin. Yeah, he was total ass in April, but he's been solid since. He had a bad night tonight, so what? Venters has been total shit all season but no one screams about him.
Because relievers don't pitch that many innings in any one year so season stats after half a year are less important than peripherals and historical efficacy in terms of predicting future performance?

What's funny is that 2 of the 3 runs from the first home run are credited to Anthony Varvaro, and all the runs from the second home run were unearned because of Chipper's error. So Durbin's ERA barely takes a dent. Suck it, hataz.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What's funny is that 2 of the 3 runs from the first home run are credited to Anthony Varvaro, and all the runs from the second home run were unearned because of Chipper's error. So Durbin's ERA barely takes a dent. Suck it, hataz.
Dude...

But you still hate Fredi right?

Sharp

If you assumed the role of an unbiased observer and watched the game, not knowing the rules of earned runs, would you say Durbin was not primarily responsible for those runs?

If you assumed the role of an unbiased observer and watched the game, not knowing the rules of earned runs, would you say Durbin was not primarily responsible for those runs?

Of course. If I were an unbiased, unknowledgeable, casual observer, I'd be clunking my angry fingers on the keyboard about Durbin like the rest of you.

Sharp

Of course. If I were an unbiased, unknowledgeable, casual observer, I'd be clunking my angry fingers on the keyboard about Durbin like the rest of you.
I forget where I heard this explained, but this is how I look at things: there is definitely value to be gained in scouting knowledge--in watching the game and analyzing things that there aren't stats for and so on--but for it to be valuable it has to be independently derived. If you do want to use numbers, you should use the numbers that are borne out by statistical analysis (sabermetrics) and if you don't use them it should be because you have a really good reason (you have an even better system that's been subjected to similarly rigorous analysis). Otherwise, your observations should be strictly about things that aren't explained by numbers. There's not really a place in that system for unearned runs, at least not if you're trying to objectively analyze a situation. Since the numbers think Chad Durbin sucks, and as far as I can tell from your visceral eye test perspective you also think Chad Durbin sucks, doesn't it make more sense to conclude that Chad Durbin sucks than that he's secretly awesome? It would be different if there was something--anything--that you saw in the eye test that made you think differently... but there isn't, is there?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Missed this earlier:

melky-trolling.gif

I guess he was trying to get Heyward to tag up from second and run to third?

And I guess Chipper's not happy:

David O'Brien @ajcbraves

#Braves Chipper on Melky Cabrera's antics: "That's Melky. And that's why he's not here anymore... It won't be forgotten."

dxblanco.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bochy's random hatred of Belt will never get old.

From Razzball last night:

Brandon Belt – 0-for-3, lowering his average to .243. CBS news blurb for him was something like, "Belt having hard time finding rhythm." I can’t imagine why.

And also:

Wendy Thurm ‏@hangingsliders
Even with recent “slump,” Belt has 4th highest wOBA and 4th highest wRC+ on team, after Posey, Melky & Panda. Tied w Blanco, who has > PAs

Damnit Bochy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom