• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Harvey will start for the Mets on Thursday. Will be added to taxi squad on Monday and to the official roster on Tuesday. Corresponding move not known yet but either Elvin Ramirez or Josh Edgin will be demoted.

Smokey

So the astros were one of the worst teams in history last year...and this years team is essentially a AA team playing in the majors.

So all I can do is humor myself what'd the worst team ever in terms of Ls and do these scrub dick astros have a chance to get there?

Mariners will feel the furry tomorrow night.
picture_16.png

So the astros were one of the worst teams in history last year...and this years team is essentially a AA team playing in the majors.

So all I can do is humor myself what'd the worst team ever in terms of Ls and do these scrub dick astros have a chance to get there?

Probably not...to achieve that, they'd have to win six games or less out of their remaining 66 to match the 40-120 record the '62 Mets had. As bad as they are, there's absolutely no way they could possibly play .090 baseball over the rest of the season. The worst winning percentage ever was the 1899 Cleveland Spiders, and even they managed to win more than 10% of their games. Unfortunately for your hopes, the Astros played semi-competently up until May 25th...they've gone 12-39 since then, which is definitely in "worst team ever" competition, but before that they were 22-23.

EDIT: Actually, just looking at their last twenty games, they seem to be playing .100 ball, and that was with Myers/Happ/Lyon, and without Cordero closing for them. As a Jays fan, I can tell you firsthand that Coco can make any lead you have perfectly surmountable. Maybe the record is within their reach?

newjeruse

Punting on a half decades worth of drafts will do that to a team.

It also doesn't help that the year they drafted Jiovanni Mier, they wanted to go above slot to sign Mike Trout, but were told not to by Bud Selig.

RBH

12:59pm: The Braves seem to be close to acquiring Ryan Dempster, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). The Braves are believed to be high on the list of teams to which Dempster would approve a trade, Heyman notes. The right-hander, who can veto any trade, is not likely to demand an extension.

Dempster, 35, has an NL-best 2.11 ERA with 7.1 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 in 98 innings for the Cubs this year. He earns $14MM in 2012 -- more than $5.5MM between now and the end of the season -- but the Cubs are said to be willing to absorb salary to facilitate a deal.

12:39pm: The Braves are moving closer to finalizing a trade for a starting pitcher, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (on Twitter). GM Frank Wren is known to be looking for starting pitching and reportedly has some interest in Zack Greinke, Ryan Dempster, Jon Lester, Jason Vargas and others.

Braves starters have combined for a 4.34 ERA with 7.0 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 so far this year. The team's rotation currently consists of Tim Hudson, Tommy Hanson, Mike Minor, Jair Jurrjens and newcomer Ben Sheets. Brandon Beachy and Arodys Vizcaino are out for the season with Tommy John surgery, which has diminished the organization's internal options.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/braves-moving-toward-deal-for-starting-pitcher.html

eznark

Banned
Wait? What? You're a Brewers fan....how can you like Ben Sheets?

Do you know Brewers fans who don't like Ben Sheets? I know literally thousands of them and I'm not sure I've ever heard one speak ill of him. He was an unlucky guy with fluke injuries who pitched fucking amazing on some of the worst teams in baseball history. He is beloved.

Wait until y'all get stomped on by the Rangers, Angels, and A's.

carlos

No sir, I don't like this....Delgado is the only one of those prospects who has shown any kind of promise for the future (in the majors).

It would be pretty hilarious if Scott Diamond, JJ Hoover and Redmond turned out to have better careers than Teheran, Vizcaino and Delgado....I bet they regret letting Diamond go already

Meier

Saw that Dempster is expected to be a Brave. Thank god. Please don't try and give away our young talent for another pitcher, Ned. Please do something to address our glaring needs on offense.

RBH

Confirmed Ryan Dempster is coming to the Braves. Still trying to confirm details but Delgado could be on the other end of the deal
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/227464479032623104

Braves believe they’d have good shot at re-signing Dempster, because of history that Wren and Fredi have w/ him from Marlins days.
https://twitter.com/ajcbraves/status/227466500221595649

Dempster was the guy that was available for the Braves. It does not sound like the Brewers are ready to deal Greinke.
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/227468593779064832

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Vizcaino, Delgado, or Teheran might be included, u guys mind?
Yes i would mind. I dont see dempster as that big enough upgrade to deal any of those.

Edit: if teheran was in the deal i would find a way to kill wren. And i would would probably do it for the other two as well.

carlos

This seems like it could be worse than the Beltran/Wheeler deal from last year, especially since supposedly the braves are sending more prospects to cover the salary relief.

Windu

Ugh delgado given away for 2 months of a pitcher that isnt much better than him. Fuck this shit.

ToxicAdam

I like the Dempster deal. I think the guy has shown windows of elite stuff and that's the kind of guy you need down the stretch.

Yea, they overpaid, but they overpaid because he was the most sought after pitcher. That's how it goes.

Windu

Hmm my mistake looks like dempster has been more of a flyball pitcher recently. So i guess that is good. nvm was looking at the wrong thing.

Right, but Wrigley is a hitters/neutral park so you'd think adjusting for park (and defense) would help him.
well in the case of defense SIERA it is just like FIP and xFIP, it tries to take all of the things a pitcher has no control of and adjust for that. So SIERA is adjusted for Defense by taking it out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom