• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Looks like the Pirates are going to have to go all in for Upton, simply trade for some low impact players alongside bringing up Marte if they want a bat this season. The only other hitter we seem to have interest in is Victorino, and apparently the asking price is too high on him right now. Maybe we can trade McGehee for a serviceable outfielder?

Seems like we're better off solidifying our pitching, and making due with what we have internally as far as offense is concerned. Would be nice if we could pick up a decent SS. Barmes is a defensive wizard but his hitting is pedestrian as fuck.

I think we're going to break .500 no matter what, but playoff contention depends on what we do before this trade deadline.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Watching Trout highlight videos caused me to learn that the Angels broadcasters refer to Trout and Trumbo as the "TNT Boys". Horrifying.

Also, Taco Time is what?

Watching Trout highlight videos caused me to learn that the Angels broadcasters refer to Trout and Trumbo as the "TNT Boys". Horrifying.

Also, Taco Time is what?

Sounds like something Hawk would say.

And where are the Rangers planning on playing Jurickson when he comes up? Thinking about watching at the stadium this week.

CygnusXS

How are rookie contracts structured in the mlb?

Well, unless they already signed a long term major league deal, a la Cespedes, they get paid the minimum, which is, what, $480,000 a season now? So in reference to Trout, he would make a prorated portion of the league minimum for the amount of games played this year.

Well, unless they already signed a long term major league deal, a la Cespedes, they get paid the minimum, which is, what, $480,000 a season now? So in reference to Trout, he would make a prorated portion of the league minimum for the amount of games played this year.

How long is his contract?

clemenx

Banned
How long is his contract?

There's no entry level contracts on MLB. He gets paid minimum the first 2 years (I think) and then he goes to arbitration every year after until he can go to Free Agency. Players are eligible for Free Agency after 6 years of service.

I may be way off on the years but that's basically it.

CygnusXS

There's no entry level contracts on MLB. He gets paid minimum the first 2 years (I think) and then he goes to arbitration every year after until he can go to Free Agency. Players are eligible for Free Agency after 6 years of service.

I may be way off on the years but that's basically it.

Arbitration depends on when the players get called up in the year, and whether they qualify for Super Two status. It's 6 seasons of control, but if you time it right, you can get about 4 months of play in a season out of a rookie without having them play enough to have their playing time that year actually qualify as a year of service time.

So for example, Jason Heyward was called up on Opening Day in 2010 and played most of the whole season (minus time on DL, which I believe still counts for service time), so 2010 was his first full season. The Braves get 5 more years of control of Heyward. On the other hand, in 2009 the Braves called up Tommy Hanson around the beginning of June, and his amount of time on the roster fell short of qualifying for an actual season. Therefore the Braves had control of him for 4 months of 2009 plus another 6 seasons of control.

The regular breakdown is 1st year: minimum; 2nd and 3rd: minimum + raise of team's choosing; 4th: 1st arb; 5: 2nd arb; 6th: 3rd arb.

However, if a player qualifies for Super Two status, then it's the minimum for 1 and 2, and then 4 years of arbitration starting in year 3. The qualifiers for S2 were altered in the new CBA I believe, but it used to be something about being in the top 17% of players during the first two years of service. You can google this part for a more accurate answer.

After the 6th year of control, if the player hasn't signed an extension, then they can file for Free Agency.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh look, a fan of an irrelevant baseball team.

Come on man theres no need to be so hostile.

pzq6p.png

Cause the Angels are probably the lamest team to root for.

In the history of any sport.

1/10. Almost like hearing a PG Cena Promo. Weak!!!

I just like to see Mike Scosscia keep a job..If not theres always room for him back home with the Dodgers. Magic would hired him in a sec.

LAA have the shittiest announcers man. Jesus Christ. Victor Rojas sucks, but that other guy is on another level.

Talking about Gubi or Jose? Either of them are good They went through a whole new makeover this season. Last year was Steve Physi and gubi and before him was Hudler. Both Steve and Rex are the Royals announcers now

Carlbeego

Talking about Gubi or Jose? Either of them are good They went through a whole new makeover this season. Last year was Steve Physi and gubi and before him was Hudler. Both Steve and Rex are the Royals announcers now

Gubi is the one I hate with a passion.

Jose Mota is the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom