• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Giants win :D
romosaberhi.gif

zulux21

I hope the Pirates can land Billy Butler, apparently we've had some interest in him. Would be a great pickup.

I would be happy to see that, as much as I enjoy watching Butler bat he kills my white sox lol.

Plus I would love to see the pirates make it to the playoffs so I could play this song to pump myself up for watching them play :p

I've always wanted to root for the pirates in the NL central... but they haven't really been a team I could root for in my life lol I mean the last time they even had a winning record was when I was 6 in '92 lol

On a different note I would love to see a team like the chicago cubs be renamed the chicago ninjas.... then we could have pirates vs ninjas 19 times a year :p

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
that hamels salary would be ~23 million per yr. He is already making 15 million this season, so it isn't much of a increase for the phillies. They have Blanton's (10.5) and Victorino's (9.5) money coming off the books in 2013. (as well as 4 mil from Thome, Qualls, Pierre and Schneider) (4 Arbitration players in 2013, Pence (Final), Bastardo (1st), Hendon (1st) and Orr (Final).

edit: oh and they have a 1 mil buyout on Polanco. (6.4 mil sal in 2012, option is 5.5 (mutual)) and 500k on Wigginton (4 mil in 2012 same as option) and Contreras 0.5 buyout (2.5 in 2012 (same as option)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dEtmWDV3bVZ2ZGhnVXZYQlY1Y01rRmc&output=html
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=116

(that payroll is hilarious btw, so much wasted money)

Contract increases include

Lee +3.5
Papelbon +2
Ruiz +1.3 (option, 0.5 buyout)
Kendrick +1.5

moral of the story. Amaro is dumb, but the phillies have the money for Hamels.

Hamels ~23
Lee 25
Howard 20 (25 in 2014 etc.. LOL)
Halladay 20
Utley 15
papelbon 13
rollins 11

about 30-40 mil left for the other 18 positions.

zulux21

I just noticed... the Astro's have a winning home record.... they are 24-23 at home... they are 10-41 on the road... just... wow @_@
edit: the cubs also have a winning home record... and a 16-35 on the road lol

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has commented on Firesale III:

We had to do something. The machine was sputtering. It's too good a baseball team and for some reason it didn't seem to be operating on all cylinders from the beginning of the season.

It's no secret I love the kid (Hanley Ramirez). He needs to have a fresh beginning; a new beginning.

This is a very painful moment for me. But we had to do something.

No cash is being sent along in the deal. Dodgers are picking up the full tab on what's left of Hanley ($15.5 million).

Marlins are getting Dodgers Class-A+ RHP Scott McGough in the deal.

Don Mattingly has not decided yet on where Hanley will play, but he will likely move back to SS.

Eovaldi and McGough were not pieces in the Ryan Dempster trade, so they are still very much in the talks for him as well unless Dempster decides to accept the trade to the Braves.

zulux21

dumping salary. Josh Johnson is next.
I wonder if the white sox could pull off a Philip Humber for josh johnson trade
Phillip is much cheaper and of course he had a perfect game this year... that has to be worth something :p

honestly josh might be a little pricey, but I wouldn't mind seeing the white sox try for him as long as they don't have to give up to much given josh's down year, pricey contract, and high injury risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom