• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Because the Astros covered everything for Lee.

I would imagine Josh Johnson and Carlos Zambrano are next. Wonder if they will pawn off Heath Bell too.

Wonder what Mark Buerhle's thinking right now.

I was just thinking about Mark Buehrle... he isn't having a bad year, I suppose I could see the white sox going after him instead of josh johnson.

as for heath bell.... I can't imagine that they would be able to move him with out eating a sizeable part of his contract, as who in their right mind would want a reliever who doesn't seem to be able to get any big out anymore that is owed over 20mil still?

I could see the Marlins going big in the free agent pool again next year.

In fact, I bet this is going to be their strategy every year now. Spend like crazy for free agents and blow up the team at the deadline if they suck.

rekameohs

Banned
I could see the Marlins going big in the free agent pool again next year.

In fact, I bet this is going to be their strategy every year now. Spend like crazy for free agents and blow up the team at the deadline if they suck.

They're like a farmer's market of players for contenders at the trade deadline.

We welcome Hanley to Dodgertown and will miss Nate. This will leave Our rotation really thin but we gladly take him. Luis Cruz was doing awesome in Gordon's absence.

E: Plus we still in the mix for Dempster. L.A. is one of his choices to go to. Based on the reports on my local news

Oakland supposedly had a deal in place for Hanley and agreed on the players, but they refused to take on his entire remaining salary. The Dodgers said they would pay and got him.

Oakland supposedly had a deal in place for Hanley and agreed on the players, but they refused to take on his entire remaining salary. The Dodgers said they would pay and got him.

Compared to Vernon Wells, Hanley is a bargain. Even having a bad year he's the 3rd best offensive threat on the Dodgers (who SUCK on offense).

What....$15 million per...chump change.

:)

Kemp, Ramirez, Kershaw, Ethier...and some decent scrubs....

DAMMIT...these fuckers just tricked me into buying a fucking MLB TV premium subscription.

Hanley better not F up team chemistry.

iTIWJ.gif

No shit. Traded for ARod in a league and he goes and breaks his fucking hand the first fucking day he's on my fucking roster.

Fuck.

I thought Hanley would go to the As. Would have helped them immensely imo. Also, nice pickup by the Pirates getting Wandy Rodriguez. The guy is a solid pitcher.

Puddles

Banned
Lineup Prob be

Gwynn/Gordon
M Ellis
Hanley
KeMVP
Ethier
Uribe/Hairston
Loney/Rivera
A.J Ellis

?

<.300 OBPs in the leadoff spot. Someone give Mattingly a copy of Moneyball.

I really like this trade. Now if only we could get a 1st baseman and another infielder.

Yeah, whatever. They'd be way over the luxury tax. Unless they just don't give a fuck anymore.

I dont think they will be. We will need to see where the limit is for the tax next year, but like that guy posted already they will be dropping a ton of salary next year letting shane, Blanton, Polanco all go. Plus I am sure they can make Hamiltons contract more payroll friendly, give him a big singing bonus and then back load the deal.

Fatalah

I've been listening to WFAN and ESPN Radio this morning and neither show has mentioned the Hanley trade! Punks!

Mattingly will sort Hanley out.

eznark

Banned
Ramirez is owed $32 million over the next two years and has been pedestrian at best for the last year and a half. Even two years ago his WAR was a middling 2.6. The Marlins were lucky to unload him without having to pay his entire salary.

Good move.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly what the Marlins are doing is a good thing. Can't believe they found somebody willing to take Hanley's contract.

That team they built this year sucked. Unload those contracts, pick up whatever prospects you can get and then go for it again. It's worked out well for them in the past.

eznark

Banned
Honestly what the Marlins are doing is a good thing. Can't believe they found somebody willing to take Hanley's contract.

That team they built this year sucked. Unload those contracts, pick up whatever prospects you can get and then go for it again. It's worked out well for them in the past.

Hey, we agree on something!

I'm sure we are both now questioning our position.....

Last offseason they tried to build a team through FA and it failed. They made huge offers to guys like like Albert and CJ but they chose to sign elsewhere. I think it is going to be tough for them to keep signing a few guys and then blowing it up and starting again each year.

eznark

Banned
Last offseason they tried to build a team through FA and it failed. They made huge offers to guys like like Albert and CJ but they chose to sign elsewhere. I think it is going to be tough for them to keep signing a few guys and then blowing it up and starting again each year.

Why? If I am a free agent it's the perfect situation. I get a massive deal and if the team sucks they trade me to a team that is in serious contention. I get all that desperate team money and all that good team success.

Why? If I am a free agent it's the perfect situation. I get a massive deal and if the team sucks they trade me to a team that is in serious contention. I get all that desperate team money and all that good team success.

I guess but they are totally at the whims of players. Last year the 2 biggest guys they went after turned them down. I think the Marlins are always going to be lower on players lists then teams like the Yankees and Sox.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Right it's really hard to go from 60 wins to 95 in a year. It happened before Rays went from perennially last place with 66 wins to 97 wins and then playoffs nearly every year since.

The right approach is blowing it up, developing young guys, finding cheap veterans and then breaking the bank a few years down the road.

It's a good thing they stole all that money from taxpayers to pay for that new stadium.

All free agents in the end care about is the money. The only time non-money factors really matter is when the money is basically equivalent. But offer more money then anybody else and everything is fixed.

RBH

I honestly think for Oakland that it's for the best they didn't get Hanley. I don't think he is worth dishing out 20% of your payroll, and as eznark said, he's been rather pedestrian over the past couple of years.

The Franchise should be awesome with the fire sale.

The Jose Reyes/Hanley Ramirez bromance is now over. :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's a good thing they stole all that money from taxpayers to pay for that new stadium.
While promising to put all that extra money back into the team. As if the people of Miami-Dade didn't regret that stadium enough already. Gonna be a field day.

well no fucking shit

Right and they are always going to be bidding with those teams for the same players. Last year I thought the rumor was that the Marlins offer was as good or even better then the Angles off for Albert but he picked the Angles. I dont see how 1 year rebuilds through FA is a viable strategy when they cant be sure to land the top FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom