• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Right and they are always going to be bidding with those teams for the same players. Last year I thought the rumor was that the Marlins offer was as good or even better then the Angles off for Albert but he picked the Angles. I dont see how 1 year rebuilds through FA is a viable strategy when they cant be sure to land the top FA.

There is a clear set of tiers in baseball. This isn't a surprise and no matter what the Marlins do they aren't going to change it. But again, they added some premier FA's this off-season, not like they exactly struggled to bring in talent.

That they're blowing it up and salary dumping after half a season.

They are salary dumping a player who has been mostly shit for 2 years. That's a good thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Beane should have realized Colletti was gonna Colletti.

The A's, as it turns out, were also in heavy on Hanley. And, according to sources, the Marlins offered Oakland a sweet deal within the last few days, one in which the A's would get Ramirez for a couple of minor-league players -- and the Marlins would pay about half the remaining money on Ramirez's contract.

The A's held off making the deal, because of concerns about a hand injury that has kept him out of the lineup since Friday. In the meantime, the Dodgers came in and agreed to take Ramirez's entire contract -- all $40 million of it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
That is the only part that matters. That taxpayers allowed themselves to get robbed (as all taxpayers who agree to fund a stadium do) is beside the point.
The taxpayers never agreed to anything, it was the board of commissioners who have since been relieved of duty along with the Mayor. They've also launched an SEC investigation into the whole thing on suspicions of payoffs and supplying falsified financial information.

Now Marlins trade Josh Johnson for Mike Olt and others and they are set for their surprising run to the World Series as a WC next year.

BFIB

This is why I love Baseball. On what was reported to be a small, down trade market this year has seen some big, big names already on the move.

That Hamels deal. Now I'm officially worried about resigning Wainwright.

BFIB

All of this trade talk has me pumped for the Cardinals to get two wayward bullpen arms and a DFA'd loogy.

Can't wait!

andycapps

This was me.

yTG0R.gif

Meier

Eovaldi has the makings of a very good pitcher -- he's had a few tough luck decisions (as have many pitchers for the Dodgers) that makes his record look a lot worse than he's been this year. I'm okay with getting Hanley even though he's struggled lately. He certainly can't be any worse than what we've had and he still a pretty big name which I'm sure the new ownership is happy about. Even though he's older, he's still only 28 so the upside to this trade is potentially quite high.

I wish we had traded Loney back when people still thought he had upside.

<---This guy has been suggesting the Dodgers get rid of him for 4-5 years or so? He's a joke as a 1B. You can't have a guy hitting 15 HR or less as a starting 1B.. it just isn't good enough. Lack of power at the corners has been killing the team for years.

cashman

Banned
Right and they are always going to be bidding with those teams for the same players. Last year I thought the rumor was that the Marlins offer was as good or even better then the Angles off for Albert but he picked the Angles. I dont see how 1 year rebuilds through FA is a viable strategy when they cant be sure to land the top FA.

I think the main issue was that the Marlins didn't offer him a no trade clause.

It would be amazing if the A's got the Phils out from the Rollins contract. I doubt it happens though, the A's wont want to pay him and it doesnt do the Phils any good to pay most of his salary.

All of this trade talk has me pumped for the Cardinals to get two wayward bullpen arms and a DFA'd loogy.

Can't wait!
To be fair, the bullpen is the biggest weakness right now. A starting pitcher or a real 2B would be nice but I don't know if I want to part with any top prospects for a rental SP at this point. If we weren't 6 games back, I'd be in favor of a stronger push. Both the Reds and Pirates have cupcake schedules and we can't seem to win head2head against them.

The team just needs to shore up its relief corps and play more consistently.

BFIB

To be fair, the bullpen is the biggest weakness right now. A starting pitcher or a real 2B would be nice but I don't know if I want to part with any top prospects for a rental SP at this point. If we weren't 6 games back, I'd be in favor of a stronger push. Both the Reds and Pirates have cupcake schedules and we can't seem to win head2head against them.

The team just needs to shore up its relief corps and play more consistently.

They do. I'm seeing Mo pulling some trade, or a 3 way trade to land Broxton.

They do. I'm seeing Mo pulling some trade, or a 3 way trade to land Broxton.
After thinking about it some more, Mo might make a play for a SP if he knows Jaime is done for the year. Kelly has been good but who knows if he can keep this up once the league gets a look at him. Very doubtful we would net a big name but a solid innings eater wouldn't be a bad target. Bullpen should be the priority though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom