• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Another great outing for Fife. Shame Belisario had to give up 2 runs and blow another W for him though..probably wants to murder him.

RBH

ATLANTA -- Fans are not the only ones excited about who might be involved in trades over the next few days. When Braves general manager Frank Wren got on the team bus before Wednesday afternoon's game against the Marlins, Chipper Jones greeted him by saying "Josh Johnson" multiple times while coughing.

It seems unlikely that the Marlins would trade Johnson to any National League East club for anything less than a king's ransom in return. But contrary to some speculation on Friday, the Braves remain focused on attempting to find a top-flight starting pitcher before Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET Trade Deadline.

While Wren and his staff spend the next few days evaluating their options, they will explore the possibility of improving their bench and bullpen. But they have not lost sight of the possibility of acquiring a starting pitcher.

Though Zack Greinke stood at the front of the Braves' wish list for more than a month, there were concerns about how much it might cost to acquire him while risking the possibility that he could bolt as a free agent this winter.

Those concerns were erased early Friday evening, when the Angels acquired Greinke from the Brewers.

"Frank and I talk all the time and keep in touch all the time about stuff," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "You can't help it this time of year when you watch MLB Network to notice a rumor out there or a tweet. But I'm to the point where whoever gets here, gets here."

Since blocking a trade that would have sent him to Atlanta earlier this week, Cubs starting pitcher Ryan Dempster has not ruled out the possibility of eventually agreeing to join the Braves. His desire remains for Chicago to trade him to the Dodgers. But these two teams have had trouble reaching an agreement when discussing potential deals over the past couple of weeks.

The Braves have expressed interest in the Padres' Edinson Volquez and the Rays' James Shields. As with Johnson, it will be interesting to see if the Padres and Rays start asking for less in return as Tuesday's Deadline approaches.

The Rays are looking to acquire young pitchers, and the Braves might be able to satisfy their wish with Randall Delgado and some of their other respected pitching prospects. But instead of Shields, who has a $9 million option for the 2013 season and a $12 million option for 2014, the Braves might be more interested in Wade Davis.

Though Davis has not started this year, the 26-year-old right-hander has made 64 Major League starts in his young career and is much cheaper than Shields. Davis will be owed $2.8 million in 2013 and $4.8 million in 2014. He will then have a $7 million option, $8 million option and $10 million option for each of the three subsequent seasons.

While Jones would certainly like to spend the final months of his career with Johnson, he said he understood the Marlins would likely not trade him to Atlanta without asking for a return as significant as the one the Rangers received when they traded Mark Teixeira to the Braves in 2007.

To get Teixeira, the Braves traded Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Beau Jones. Andrus, Feliz and Harrison have all earned All-Star selections, and Saltalamacchia has combined for 35 homers while serving as the Red Sox starting catcher since the start of the 2011 season.

"As long as Josh is locked up, they're going to need to get an outlandish return, and I think we've all learned our lesson about that," Jones said.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...2704&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl&partnerId=rss_atl

McNei1y

I'm always curious... how do players on new teams learn team antics so quickly...

for example: after the Dodgers win tonight, Hanley was in on everything.. the fake high fives, the hand shakes, etc etc.

Sure, it may be as simple as them talking about it but... shit.

I'm always curious... how do players on new teams learn team antics so quickly...

for example: after the Dodgers win tonight, Hanley was in on everything.. the fake high fives, the hand shakes, etc etc.

Sure, it may be as simple as them talking about it but... shit.
I'm sure it was Kemp that got him up to speed.

Meier

Ugh Jansen. Please don't fuck this up.

Thank god he reverted to his normal form after the first two dudes.

Nice to see Tolleson get his first W. I remember reading about him when we drafted him since he grew up buddies with Clayton. I'm sure this is a pretty big night for both of them.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

RBH

So Braves-GAF, out of all the possible available pitchers out there, who would you like to see brought in?

I'm honestly kinda warming up to the idea of Wade Davis....

Man what a shitty loss tonight. I was hoping that Hamels was off this year due to the contract but he was terrible tonight. Phillies just cant do anything against the Braves this year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So Braves-GAF, out of all the possible available pitchers out there, who would you like to see brought in?

I'm honestly kinda warming up to the idea of Wade Davis....
Davis hasn't been very good as a starter, but looks to be pretty good out of the pen so i don't know about him. I wouldn't want to give up too much for him anyway and since he is under control for a while the Rays will ask too much.

Man what a shitty loss tonight. I was hoping that Hamels was off this year due to the contract but he was terrible tonight. Phillies just cant do anything against the Braves this year.

Hamels looked like a total mess. We were talking in the room about how uncomfortable his body language was all night. I noticed he was only throwing about 88-89. Someome in the room said, "Would suck for them to sign him to the big deal and then he blows his elbow out."

Hamels looked like a total mess. We were talking in the room about how uncomfortable his body language was all night. I noticed he was only throwing about 88-89. Someome in the room said, "Would suck for them to sign him to the big deal and then he blows his elbow out."

Yeah he has really been off all year. Hopefully it is just a mental thing and not anything physical.

600.jpg

"Only able to name 3 other pirates players"

cashman

Banned
This was the Rangers final offer for Greinke:
Another report from last night indicated that the Rangers' offer for Greinke was Justin Grimm, Chad Bell, and Leury Garcia,

JD was very stingy with this trade.

rage1973

Looks like Matt Garza will stay in Chicago due to his triceps injury.

Sounds even better from the Angels side
Only pitcher remaining for Texas is Shields and Josh Johnson.
They are going to pay big for Johnson and probably require Olt and 2 decent pitching prospects.
Or they can roll the dice with Darvish, Harrison and Oswalt as your top pitchers in your rotation.

If we toss JJ out, put Meds in, get some depth starters, we should be good. Pitcher I'm most worried about is Tommy.

Yeah, I think we can make the postseason with who we have, and just being a little creative with our roster. Would be nice to nab someone off the market though, but I'm not sure it'd be wise to give up as much as it seems we might have to.

cashman

Banned
Sounds even better from the Angels side
Only pitcher remaining for Texas is Shields and Josh Johnson.
They are going to pay big for Johnson and probably require Olt and 2 decent pitching prospects.
Or they can roll the dice with Darvish, Harrison and Oswalt as your top pitchers in your rotation.

They'd roll with Holland before Oswalt in their playoff roto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom