• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't give me that shit. I'd let you pull that bullshit if the Reds were struggling, but they are dominating the plate without Votto, Phillips and Ludwick.

Imagine how you would feel if McClutchen went down and your team rattled off 13 of 14 after that. You'd know what I know: "Bullshit luck." That's all. Everyone knows it, too. If the Reds weren't playing the Washington Generals of baseball every day, who knows where they'd be. Pittsburgh is the superior team on paper. I think most would agree. Then, you take the only two real star position players out of the equation, and it FEELS like a sweep. You feel it, too. If the Reds win one game, it will be huge... then again, I don't really expect the Reds to get swept, and every game you can steal with your best two players down is going to be HUGE, regardless if it's the Washington Generals or Pittsburgh Pirates.

But, to be fair, the Cardinals are the superior team in the NL Central on paper, and there they are, sitting at a distant 3rd. Don't get me wrong, I love when a team overperforms, like the Bengals did last year, but it always catches up to ya.

jakncoke

Banned
lol vas coming to the table with the we're just happy to be here bros, you're so awesome speech. get the fuck outta of here with that shit.

lol vas coming to the table with the we're just happy to be here bros, you're so awesome speech. get the fuck outta of here with that shit.

You can't deny it... this run is logic-defying bullshit. I'm happy as I've been as a baseball fan in my lifetime, but if I were a Pittsburgh fan, I'd be salty as fuck.

But, to be fair, the Cardinals are the superior team in the NL Central on paper, and there they are, sitting at a distant 3rd. Don't get me wrong, I love when a team overperforms, like the Bengals did last year, but it always catches up to ya.
Even if it's been good luck for the Reds and bad luck for the Cards so far, the games that have been played count, so no, it doesn't always balance out in the end. At some point, the lead is going to be insurmountable even if the Cards play to their ability unless the Reds start pulling a 2011 Braves.

Also, you make it seem like the Pirates haven't playing a similarly easy schedule as the Reds. I get that you're downplaying your expectations, but portraying the Reds as the underdog is :lol. You're right that Cincy can get away with winning 1 out of 3 becuase they have that comfy lead and are better set up for the stretch run.

You can't deny it... this run is logic-defying bullshit. I'm happy as I've been as a baseball fan in my lifetime, but if I were a Pittsburgh fan, I'd be salty as fuck.

The run is due to them having the best bullpen in all of baseball, solid starting pitching, and an offense that still produces even without a few pieces. It isnt bullshit at all.

The run is due to them having the best bullpen in all of baseball, solid starting pitching, and an offense that still produces even without a few pieces. It isnt bullshit at all.

I think you're right about that: this is the a good example of how a good bullpen is worth its weight in gold. And, when you got Broxton, that's a lot of gold. (Lol, Fort Brox)

dmag1223

Vas, I think you are drastically underselling this Reds team, even minus Votto. Sure 13 out of 14 is pretty crazy and defiantly a bit of a fluke , but its not like this team has zero talent minus Votto. The bullpen and defense are the best in the NL, and the starting staff is pretty steady and consistent. The offense isn't great, but they have the ability to hurt you fast because everyone in the lineup has HR power.

Sure, they have warts (streaky players, low walk rate, shitty bench), but they are a pretty well put together team.

Opiate

Albert Pujols has surpassed Carlos Beltran in Fangraphs WAR for the season. He has not surpassed Beltran+Furcal, however.

Opiate

It's probably Lenny Dykstra.

I'm not sure what the Cardinals can really do. In some teams' cases, the problem is obvious; they have a superstar secondbaseman, but a weak shortstop; they have a fantastic starting 3 pitchers, but their fourth man is weak; they have a good half of a platoon in right field. And so forth.

The Cardinals "problem," if you will, is that they are not clearly and obviously weak in any particular area. They're "pretty good" everywhere, but not exceptional at anything at the same time. It would be much easier if we had five awesome players and four terrible ones to figure out where we can patch holes.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cardinals really only have one major problem.

Jon Jay hasn't done anything since April. Pretty much needs to get it going now, otherwise could see that minor league guy Oscar Tavares get a call up. Now that'd be a fun outfield to watch.

Really they've been victims of bad luck more than anything. They have the best run differential in all of baseball, by a margin of 10 runs more than the Yankees who are 2nd. They are 12-18 in 1 run games this year. But the killer for them so far has been the fact that they are only 16-13 against the terrible trio of the Brewers, Astros and Cubs. That's turribull.

Josh Hamilton just revealed the personal issue he's been referring to has been his inability to quit chewing tobacco.

Seriously? That's the reason for him having been brutal for months? The way he and Washington had been hyping it up, you'd think he was lacing the tobacco with LSD and then taking part in some weird satanic rituals.

dmag1223

It's probably Lenny Dykstra.

I'm not sure what the Cardinals can really do. In some teams' cases, the problem is obvious; they have a superstar secondbaseman, but a weak shortstop; they have a fantastic starting 3 pitchers, but their fourth man is weak; they have a good half of a platoon in right field. And so forth.

The Cardinals "problem," if you will, is that they are not clearly and obviously weak in any particular area. They're "pretty good" everywhere, but not exceptional at anything at the same time. It would be much easier if we had five awesome players and four terrible ones to figure out where we can patch holes.

I don't know, the Cards are a pretty exceptional offensive team to me. They have been a head scratcher, because based on run differential, and just taking a look over that lineup, you would think they would be the team who is 64-41.

I certainly do not want to see them in the playoffs

Seriously? That's the reason for him having been brutal for months? The way he and Washington had been hyping it up, you'd think he was lacing the tobacco with LSD and then taking part in some weird satanic rituals.

Well, I think a lot of tobaccos have some alcohol in them, so maybe it was giving him booze cravings.

Josh Hamilton just revealed the personal issue he's been referring to has been his inability to quit chewing tobacco.

Serious business, actually. I've quit both smoking and chew, and the chew was far, far harder to kick. He should wait until the offseason TBH.

Here's something you might not see for awhile: a worthwhile ESPN.com MLB read that doesn't require an Insider account. The horrors of getting hit by a pitch. One of the players interviewed is Will Rhymes, who as you may recall, fucking FAINTED after getting his shit wrecked by an Alfie pitch.

Harold Reynolds has been talking about that for more than a week now. I knew it was the tobacco chewing that they were trying to allude to.

Opiate

I don't know, the Cards are a pretty exceptional offensive team to me. They have been a head scratcher, because based on run differential, and just taking a look over that lineup, you would think they would be the team who is 64-41.

I certainly do not want to see them in the playoffs

Oh no I agree. But how is that offense achieved? Some teams, for example, achieve potent offensive potential by having 3 or 4 guys each hitting .330 with OPS above 1.0, then another 4-5 guys hitting .250-.270 with high strike out rates. That would still be a very good offense. The Cardinals, by contrast, have no Bautista or Pujols or Cabrera, but they do have a very solid 1-8 all hitting .300-ish with good OBPs.

My point is that this makes a trade hard. It's much easier to know what to "buy" when you have several amazing players and a few mediocre ones. When no specific part is underperforming, it's not obvious how to upgrade, unless you're willing to trade the farm for a huge star that represents a modest upgrade overall.

Oh no I agree. But how is that offense achieved? Some teams, for example, achieve potent offensive potential by having 3 or 4 guys each hitting .330 with OPS above 1.0, then another 4-5 guys hitting .250-.270 with high strike out rates. That would still be a very good offense. The Cardinals, by contrast, have no Bautista or Pujols or Cabrera, but they do have a very solid 1-8 all hitting .300-ish with good OBPs.

My point is that this makes a trade hard. It's much easier to know what to "buy" when you have several amazing players and a few mediocre ones. When no specific part is underperforming, it's not obvious how to upgrade, unless you're willing to trade the farm for a huge star that represents a modest upgrade overall.

Matt Holliday is that guy in the lineup. He's definitely a better hitter than Bautista.

He's hitting .322 .407 .557 .963 with 21 HRs and 75 RBI.

It was the Dodgers who claimed Cliff Lee. No one knows if they are on his 21-team no-trade list or not. If they are, Lee can block the move even if the Phillies just assign his contract for nothing.

JABEE

The Cliff Lee trade probably won't happen. The Phillies want a mega prospect with Lee's full salary going to the claiming team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom