• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ken Rosenthal - Braves' gamble on Sheets paying off said:
On Thursday, the MLB Network asked me to prepare a segment on the best “under-the-radar” acquisitions this season.

Wren called me and explained that he preferred to talk rather than respond by email.

“I’d be typing for an hour,” he said.

Yes, the story is that good.

In fact, Sheets became a Brave in part because of his son Seaver, 10, who — as you might have guessed — is named after Hall of Famer Tom Seaver.

Sheets, 34, was the coach of Seaver’s travel-ball team. The family resides in Monroe, La. And on the final weekend of June, the team had a tournament in Atlanta.

If you’re thinking, “Hmmm, home-court advantage for the Braves,” you’re on the right track.

Sheets, who missed all of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in August 2010, already had auditioned for the Braves and other teams at the University of Louisiana at Monroe.

But seeing as how he was headed to Atlanta anyway, he chose to throw a five-inning simulated game at Georgia Tech, not far from the Braves’ home park, Turner Field.

Victor Menocal, an associate of Sheets’ agent, Casey Close, had been a standout shortstop and volunteer coach at Tech, and helped arrange for the workout, which took place June 28.

Scouts from the Royals, Phillies, Rangers and Cardinals watched Sheets face college hitters; the Yankees and Angels had seen him throw earlier in Louisiana.

The Braves were hosting the Diamondbacks that night Wren, Braves assistant GM Bruce Manno and director of professional scouting John Coppolella slipped out of Turner Field during batting practice to head over to Georgia Tech.

Sheets threw 80 pitches. In 100-degree heat.

His fastball sat at 90 mph, reached 92. He spun his trademark breaking ball, showed an improved changeup.

“I wasn’t thinking I was looking at some broken-down guy trying to make a comeback,” Wren said. “I’m sitting there watching, saying, ‘That’s Ben Sheets.’”

Ben Sheets, who won the gold-medal game for the US in the 2000 Olympics, started the 2008 All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium and was one of the best pitchers in the National League for the Milwaukee Brewers.

The Braves’ contingent was intrigued. And, as luck would have it, Sheets was planning to attend the Braves’ game that night with his son’s team. He had bought tickets, through group sales, in the left-field stands.

Wren, upon returning from the workout, went straight to his manager, Fredi Gonzalez, and pitching coach, Roger McDowell. He told them that the Braves were going to try to sign Sheets, and asked McDowell when the team could plug him into the rotation.

McDowell picked July 15, the Sunday after the All-Star break. Sheets first would make two starts for the Braves’ Double-A affiliate in Pearl, Miss., about a 1 1/2-hour drive from his home.

The Braves determined that Sheets would throw five innings and 75 pitches in his first start, six innings and 90 pitches in his second. Wren said that Sheets already had built up his arm, throwing 22 100-pitch bullpen sessions.

Now it was time to chat.

Wren invited Sheets, Close and Menocal to visit him and his assistants in the GM’s private box during the sixth inning. Close had told Wren, “It’s important for Ben to know you have a plan.” The Braves had a plan, all right. Wren showed Close a daily schedule that the team had outlined for Sheets over the next three weeks.

“That’s perfect,” Close said. “Give it to Ben.”

Sheets checked it over, looked at Close and said, “I told you I’m ready to go 75 pitches right away!”

But seriously, Sheets was impressed.

“It wasn’t how aggressive it was,” Sheets said of the Braves’ plan. “It was how they showed their desire to get me in their rotation.

“Even if it took me longer than two starts, they wanted me in that rotation. (Wren) was letting me know, ‘We want you to get there. We’re signing you to get there.’”

The meeting ended, and Sheets and his agents returned to their seats in left field for the final two innings. Wren called down to the Braves’ clubhouse and asked an attendant to bring out two dozen Braves caps for the kids on Sheets’ team.

A few minutes later, Wren peered through his binoculars, saw the kids wearing the caps and noticed Sheets looking toward his box, flashing a thumbs-up.

“We were laughing,” Sheets said. “Me and Casey said, ‘Let’s give him a thumbs-up. I’m sure he’s looking at us.’ That was a pretty nice gesture. It made the kids so excited.”

Did it persuade Sheets to sign with the Braves?

“It definitely didn’t hurt, I’ll tell you that,” Sheets said, laughing.

Two days later, Sheets reached agreement with the Braves on a minor league contract. He would earn a pro-rated portion of $2.25 million, or just more than $1 million from the time he joined the major league club. The deal also included a potential $1.4 million in appearance and roster bonuses. Sheets already has reached half of them, and can max out if he makes 12 starts and stays on the roster 60 days.

The Braves’ offer wasn’t necessarily the best offer, Sheets said, but the situation was perfect. He preferred to be in the NL. The Braves’ Mississippi affiliate was close to his home. Turner Field, in Sheets’ view, was “a pretty good pitchers’ park.” He also liked pitching in the humidity of the Southeast.

Wren, in turn, thought Sheets a great fit.

“The thing that grabs you when you’re around Ben Sheets is how passionate he is about the game,” Wren said. “He’s very much a baseball guy. The total package is off the charts.”

Sheets even made a powerful impression during his brief time at Double-A Mississippi — the team’s pitching coach, Mike Alvarez, told Wren that he “changed our club and dugout in three days,” talking baseball, giving pointers to his younger teammates.

On July 6, Sheets stood along the dugout rail with the club’s pitchers, predicting the pitches that Mississippi’s Sean Gilmartin would throw as the left-hander worked into the late innings of a nine-inning start.

The younger pitchers, dumbfounded, asked Sheets how he did it. Sheets replied, “We’ve played this team three days in a row.” Translation: Pay attention. Watch the hitters. Learn from their reactions.

Of course, Sheets wasn’t in Mississippi long.

On July 15, right on schedule, he returned to the majors and threw six shutout innings against the Mets. He since has made three other starts, and is 3-1 with a 1.46 ERA, averaging nearly a strikeout per inning.

His fastball, averaging 93.3 mph according to fangraphs.com, isn’t what it once was — Sheets averaged 97.4 in 2008, before he underwent surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon, and 96 mph in 2010, before he had his Tommy John.

Still, Sheets is encouraged.

“My breaking ball is probably as good as it’s been since 2005-06,” Sheets said. “The perception is that I’ve always had a good breaking ball. But it’s been average the past three years.

“I don’t know if the 2 mph I’m dreaming of will ever come back. I feel like if it did, it would push me over the top and I would become a very good pitcher again.”

Actually, he is a very good pitcher right now.

A very good pitcher for the team he watched from the stands just more than a month ago, as the coach of his son’s travel-ball team.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...eets-great-under-the-radar-acquisition-080212

Here's something you might not see for awhile: a worthwhile ESPN.com MLB read that doesn't require an Insider account. The horrors of getting hit by a pitch. One of the players interviewed is Will Rhymes, who as you may recall, fucking FAINTED after getting his shit wrecked by an Alfie pitch.

That story is crazy...I remember playing in Little League, and I was always terrified of being hit by a pitch. That's why I stopped playing, in fact; too many guys who threw hard but had no idea where it was going. It must take an insane level of courage and/or lack of self-preservation instinct to dig in against pro pitchers.

They have three days to discuss any sort of trade now that he's been waived?

Yes, or the Phillies could just stick Lee and his entire remaining salary with the Dodgers for nothing. However if the Dodgers are on Lee's limited no-trade list, he can block moves like that too.

harSon

Banned
Let's go Pirates!

Finally found a good fucking stream, seems like they're only available when we face a team worth a damn on their own soil :|

harSon

Banned
Fuck the Reds soooo much.

And how many times did Wandy think going right down the fucking middle was going to work after 4-5 fouls?

We claimed Lee? I'm not so sure about this.

I doubt the Phils are just going to let him go for nothing...so I think either....

Phil's pull him back so it was like nothing happened.

The Dodgers offer to eat a LOT of his contract and send Z. Lee to them

If the Dodgers get him without giving up anything, or without the Phil's paying some of his contract....would be dumb for either franchise.

As long as these moves delegate that secret Padre agent Harang to the bench I'm more than happy to bring in ANY starting pitcher.

I HATE Harang on the Dodgers.

Kershaw
Lee
Bills
Capuano
Lilly

OR

Kershaw
Bills
Capuano
Lilly
Blanton

I'm good with either of those lineups. (obviously the first lineup being better for the playoffs...but with the Dodgers poor hitting it won't matter).

harSon

Banned
I think we may need to think about bringing up Tabata soon and sending Marte back to the minors. He's definitely going to shape up to be a great player, but he needs to work on his plate discipline, and I'd rather him not get that practice in the MLB when we're trying to make the playoffs.

harSon

Banned
What the f was that Cutch

Edit: I'm going to take a shower... I'm fully expecting the Reds to hit up a storm while I'm away. Probably a homerun by Latos or some other BS like that.

harSon

Banned
Just picked a bad pitch to steal on. It happens. Latos sucks at holding on runners so it was a good idea.

He's been pretty garbage at base stealing lately in general. There's no reason someone as fast as him should get caught so much. Although, teams are looking for him more since his early season success.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Both Justin and BJ both hit their 100th career home runs tonight.

BJ joins the list of players with 100 homers and 200 stolen bases and the only ones to do it before the age of 28 were Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, Rickey Henderson, Eric Davis, Cesar Cedeno, Lloyd Moseby and Hanley Ramirez.

harSon

Banned
Barmes is so fucking useless at the plate. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Edit: And we're fucked... there's no way we're scoring against the Reds ridiculous bullpen.

Edit 2: Have a feeling Wandy is going to weaken soon. Probably for a homerun.

Barmes is so fucking useless at the plate. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Edit: And we're fucked... there's no way we're scoring against the Reds ridiculous bullpen.

The question is, will the Reds get another run off Wandy? Dude is pitching great tonight. And, it's not his fault that one run got in.

zulux21

that was the best hit I have seen Dunn get in a while... unfortunately he wasn't able to get the ball out of the catchers glove :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom