• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other terrible pitchers can we stock up on? Find out soon!

Clemens-50-exceeds-expectations-on-mound-96255SEE-x-large.jpg

I'm kind of curious, woudl the Giants let the Dodgers have Zito? On the one hand, he and his contract are terrible, on the other hand, is he worse than Joe Blanton and Aaron Harang?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm kind of curious, woudl the Giants let the Dodgers have Zito? On the one hand, he and his contract are terrible, on the other hand, is he worse than Joe Blanton and Aaron Harang?

Zito has a no-trade clause though, he may block it. At least in SF, he can say he's doing better than Lincecum. There's only one more year left on that contract anyway, since I doubt they'd pick up the 2014 option.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Chipper Jones' farewell tour will reach a new level when he reaches New York, where he routinely has tortured the Mets over the years.

Foley's Pub and Restaurant, a popular Manhattan watering hole for sports types, will rename itself "Chipper's" when the Braves visit from Sept. 7 to 9.

Foley's also will serve "chips" (french fries) in 10 different ways in honor of Chipper's No. 10.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/8/27/3272220/preparations-begin-in-new-york-for-chipper
bow down to your master

I'm starting to think Roger Clemens is really smart with this comeback thing. All this talk about his comeback and NOBODY is mentioning the steroids or the trial or any of that stuff. He's turning his career into some sort of "feel good story" that might, along with the extra 5 years, change the narrative on his career and get him into the Hall of Fame.

I forgot he pitched! It is indeed genius, especially if he can get into the majors at 50. It looks like he still has something, even if it doesn't still have 'it.'

I forgot he pitched! It is indeed genius, especially if he can get into the majors at 50. It looks like he still has something, even if it doesn't still have 'it.'

Realistically, if Jamie Moyer can pitch in the majors this year at age 49 barely throwing 77, Clemens should be given a shot if he's still hitting 88 at age 50.

Sanjuro

I hope that the Astros end up not being his only option. Like I said before, would love seeing the guy back here. Worst case? Astros are in the AL now. Tickets for his Fenway start, stat!

they should wave the 5 yr rule for everyone so Chipper, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Cox can all go in together.

I would actually be in favor of that. They should totally make special exceptions for groups of guys from the same team who are all locks to get in on the first ballot. Isnt Cox already in though?

I would actually be in favor of that. They should totally make special exceptions for groups of guys from the same team who are all locks to get in on the first ballot. Isnt Cox already in though?

No. Cox only played two years in the big leagues 1969-1970. He can't be voted in until 2016.

Windu

he is eligible in 2014
No. Cox only played two years in the big leagues 1969-1970. He can't be voted in until 2016.
16? I thought it was 14. I think managers have to wait 2 yrs or something.

Windu

Boras is his agent, so he'll probably manage to somehow get some idiot to pay him at least $80 million despite the fact his steals are WAY down this year.

Looking at you, Brian Sabean.
well he is having a MVP caliber season, (and is second in the majors in steals (behind trout, who else?)). He will get paid. I doubt he has another season this good though.

Mariners placed Kevin Millwood and Jason Vargas on trade waivers today.

An unknown team has claimed Scott Hairston from the Mets.

EDIT: Dodgers and Giants confirmed to have not won the claim on Hairston.

EDIT 2: Mets already pulled Hairston off waivers. Whoever claimed him did it as a block. Still don't know who did it.

Up until this season, Martin Prado was considered the heir apparent to third base whenever Chipper Jones decided it was time to hang up the spikes.

Chipper announced during spring training that 2012 would be his last run. It's been assumed that Prado has been simply staying occupied in left field until Chipper's retirement. Prado, a career infielder until the November 2010 acquisition of Dan Uggla from the Marlins, was immediately presumed to be manning the hot corner everyday starting in 2013.

Juan Francisco has other plans.

Francisco was long considered a top prospect in the Reds organization that hadn't ever reached his full potential. Patience grew thin within the Reds camp as Francisco is out of minor league options. Francisco's patience probably grew thin as well, having playing time continually blocked by Scott Rolen and Joey Votto.

With the veteran Rolen at third base, the Reds felt it was time to cut their losses with the disappointing prospect. It was made known that Francisco was available and only one team showed significant interest: the Braves.

Braves GM Frank Wren and Reds GM Walt Jocketty came close to an agreement during the offseason that would have sent pitchers Jair Jurrjens and Jairo Asencio to the Reds for Francisco and outfielder Chris Heisey. Those talks came to an end when the Reds decided to instead to pull the trigger on a megadeal that sent Edinson Volquez, Yonder Alonso, and two prospects to the Padres for Mat Latos. With Latos, there was no need for Jurrjens now. The deal was off.

When Chipper was forced to have an arthroscopic knee procedure done in spring training, the Braves interest in a third baseman piqued again. They wanted more than a stop-gap since it was clear Chipper was going to need occasional days off during the entire season. Also, the Braves didn't want to continually shuttle Prado back between left field and third base like they did in 2011, a very disappointing offensive season for him.

The Braves called back the Reds on Francisco and on April 1, the eve of Opening Day, the Braves acquired Francisco from the Reds in exchange for minor league pitcher J.J. Hoover.

The 25-year-old's arrival with the Braves continued to be rocky as it was with the Reds. He immediately ran afoul with manager Fredi Gonzalez in a series against his former Reds. Francisco smashed a homer way past the generous Great American Ballpark fence off former teammate Mike Leake (not like Francisco needed the help; he once hit a 502-foot home run in September 2011 that cleared the entire Great American stadium). Francisco boastfully flipped his bat and strutted down to first base in a way that would make "Nature Boy" Ric Flair proud. Francisco was immediately confronted in the dugout by Gonzalez, who immediately informed him that behavior like that was not going to be accepted with the Braves.

A few weeks later, Francisco was approached by the Braves coaching staff. He was informed of their unhappiness with his physical condition and work ethic. No one knows exactly how it was presented, but the message got through.

Francisco has become a monster in the lineup whenever Chipper needs a day or two of rest. Just ask Tim Lincecum, who last night gave up a 454-foot bomb to Francisco that landed in Barry Bonds territory: the right-center seats of AT&T Park.

In just 36 games as a starter, Francisco has 8 home runs, 26 RBIs, and owns a .281/.316/.547 slash line. As a starter, he is averaging a home run in just every 16 at-bats.

His numbers have drastically improved all around since June 1, when the meeting about his weight and work ethic took place. Since June 1, Francisco's sporting a .273/.349/.494 slash overall as both a starter and a pinch-hitter.

Francisco's wonderful production since the meeting and ability to do what the Braves asked him to do is leaning the Braves into making him the everyday third baseman in 2013. Since Prado has emerged as one of the best outfielders in the entire Major Leagues, the Braves aren't seeing a need to rush him back to the infield if Francisco can fill the role. Prado's presence in the outfield becomes especially dire if Michael Bourn signs with another team as a free agent.

But the Braves also face an interesting dilemma with Prado: he will be eligible for free agency after 2013.

carlos

Too bad that JJ trade wasn't made.....
but wasn't Francisco under team control until 2017 or 16? Janish is the one who is a free agent at the end of the year....

Too bad that JJ trade wasn't made.....
but wasn't Francisco under team control until 2017 or 16? Janish is the one who is a free agent at the end of the year....

I think the issue with Francisco isn't team control but the fact he's already out of minor league options already because the Reds wasted them all. B-R says he's under team control through 2017. Won't be arbitration eligible until 2014.

carlos

I think the issue with Francisco isn't team control but the fact he's already out of minor league options already because the Reds wasted them all. B-R says he's under team control through 2017. Won't be arbitration eligible until 2014.

As I thought, its just I think the article said something about the braves extending a one year contract to Franciso. I can't see it now, so I assume you edited that part out.

But yeah, after an underwhelming start, Francisco's been pretty okay good....at least it's fun to see how far he hits the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom