• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
STANDINGS UPDATE FOR AUGUST 28

American League

-- Yankees lead over the Orioles in the AL East remained at 3.5 games
-- Yankees lead over the Rays in the AL East increased to 5.0 games

-- White Sox lead over the Tigers in the AL Central remained at 2.0 games

-- Rangers lead over the Athletics in the AL West remained at 5.5 games
-- Rangers lead over the Angels in the AL West remained at 10.0 games

-- Athletics and Orioles remain tied for AL Wild Card #1 and #2
-- Athletics/Orioles lead over Rays in AL Wild Card #2 increased to 1.5 games
-- Athletics/Orioles lead over Tigers in AL Wild Card #2 increased to 2.0 games
-- Athletics/Orioles lead over Angels in AL Wild Card #2 remained at 4.5 games

REMAINING GAMES:
Yankees - 33 (17 away, 16 home, 3 off-days / 16 vs. +.500)
White Sox - 34 (17 away, 17 home, 2 off-days / 16 vs. +.500)
Rangers - 33 (19 away, 14 home, 3 off-days / 17 vs. +.500)
Athletics - 34 (20 away, 14 home, 2 off-days / 23 vs. +.500)
Orioles - 34 (18 away, 16 home, 3 off-days / 18 vs. +.500)
Rays - 33 (17 away, 16 home, 3 off-days / 20 vs. +.500)
Tigers - 34 (18 away, 16 home, 2 off-days / 14 vs. +.500)
Angels - 33 (15 away, 18 home, 3 off-days / 20 vs. +.500)

National League

-- Nationals lead over Braves in the NL East decreased to 4.0 games

-- Reds lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central increased to 7.0 games
-- Reds lead over the Pirates in the NL Central remained at 9.0 games

-- Giants lead over the Dodgers in the NL West increased to 3.5 games

-- Braves lead over the Cardinals in NL Wild Card #1 increased to 2.5 games
-- Cardinals lead over Pirates in NL Wild Card #2 decreased to 2.0 games
-- Cardinals lead over Dodgers in NL Wild Card #2 remained at 2.5 games

REMAINING GAMES:
Reds - 31 (17 away, 14 home, 5 off-days / 12 vs. +.500)
Nationals - 34 (13 away, 21 home, 2 off-days / 13 vs. +.500)
Giants - 33 (17 away, 16 home, 3 off-days / 6 vs. +.500)
Braves - 32 (16 away, 16 home, 4 off-days / 6 vs. +.500)
Cardinals - 33 (18 away, 15 home, 3 off-days / 15 vs. +.500)
Pirates - 33 (17 away, 16 home, 3 off-days / 10 vs. +.500)
Dodgers - 32 (15 away, 17 home, 4 off-days / 16 vs. +.500)

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:

AL Wild Card Game: Orioles @ Athletics

NL Wild Card Game: Cardinals @ Braves

NLDS Game 1: Reds @ Braves -OR- Cardinals
NLDS Game 1: Giants @ Nationals

ALDS Game 1: Rangers @ Athletics -OR- Orioles
ALDS Game 1: White Sox @ Yankees

WTF? Why would the Reds be going to the wild card play in winner? Ditto with Rangers. Is there a 1 seed - 2 away, 3 home playoff format there or something?

rando14

Just now saw this Jeff Passan article from Friday. Ugh.

25 things you didn't know about baseball

:(

In other news, it's the fun part of the Royals season where we stave off elimination for as long as possible. Fun.

KGtkK.jpg

WTF? Why would the Reds be going to the wild card play in winner? Ditto with Rangers. Is there a 1 seed - 2 away, 3 home playoff format there or something?

On the upside, it's only for this year. On the downside...winning the division means opening the playoffs on the road, since they couldn't wait one year to build the schedules properly and allow for travel days in the playoffs.

Anyone else hoping for massive wildcard ties, just to see how much they'd screw everything up?

TheNatural

My Member!
Bud Selig, lol

(yes)

Wow. Seriously, this two wildcard stuff gets more retarded the more I see it in action. First, a team's whole 162 game season coming down to ONE game. But then, getting two at home to start the series? Thats a pretty big deal, especially in a best of 5 series.

MLB playoffs are so fucked up.

Because of Selig's insistence of starting this Wild Card #2 stuff this season with the schedule already drawn out, the LDS that features the Wild Card is going to start in the Wild Card's stadium to keep travel down. It's a 2-3 format, meaning there's no way the Wild Card can win the series at home. It's still fucking moronic, however.

It's going back to the normal 2-2-1 format next year.

the funny thing is he has gotten at least 4 intentional BB in the last week, I know the white sox walked him 3 times intentionally and the tigers walked him last night lol

Yeah, what the hell, I haven't understood that at all. Except that it's a testament to how bad Hosmer's sophomore slump has been, that pitchers would actually walk Frenchy to get to him.

TheNatural

My Member!
Because of Selig's insistence of starting this Wild Card #2 stuff this season with the schedule already drawn out, the LDS that features the Wild Card is going to start in the Wild Card's stadium to keep travel down. It's a 2-3 format, meaning there's no way the Wild Card can win the series at home. It's still fucking moronic, however.

It's going back to the normal 2-2-1 format next year.

I wish Selig would retire, I'm seriously sick of his shit and running the game into the ground. Baseball needs some young blood to run this league with some progressive ideas, not stupid shit like this.

I get the point of trying to be more inclusive and make the stretch more exciting by adding another wildcard, but this isn't the way to do it.

I will tell you exactly what I would do in my playoff plan.

1) EVERY series should be a best of 7 series, baseball is a long ass year and even a best of 5 is pretty lame to eliminate a team on.

2) Change the set schedule equally for 156 games. Have an off day after 156 games and then set the final two series of the year to have playoff implications by the league standings.

3) The final six games (3 home, 3 away) should be seeded 1 v. 8, 2 v. 7, 3 v. 6, 4 v. 5 by league standings. So in the NL for example, as of today, the final two series would be:

Cincy v. Zona
Wash v. LA
Atl v. Pitt
San Fran v. STL

A rough example, but you're basically making a 'play in' series during the regular season to try to duplicate the awesome final day that happened last year. There can be some leeway within the division to adjust the games a little if necessary, but I think this works. The rest of the scrubs can play one another in meaningless series' the final six.

That solves the inclusion problem, that solves having too few games knock out other teams, and so on.

I really hope whoever takes over as commissioner in 2015 goes back to a balanced schedule with all 30 teams facing each other, does division realignment, and either kills the DH or makes it mandatory for both leagues. I hate the DH, but I'd be fine with the NL converting to it just so there's finally some goddamn parity.

TheNatural

My Member!
I really hope whoever takes over as commissioner in 2015 goes back to a balanced schedule with all 30 teams facing each other, does division realignment, and either kills the DH or makes it mandatory for both leagues. I hate the DH, but I'd be fine with the NL converting to it just so there's finally some goddamn parity.

I don't mind the DH, I like the flavor it gives each league in differences. No, it doesn't make much sense for the same game everyone plays to have different rules, but I like the nuances of baseball like that. Hell, I say bring back the NL and AL commissioners.

Another thing funny about the playoffs this year is that the team with the best record in both leagues is at a severe disadvantage. The playoffs start the day after the Wild Card game, so the team with the best record in each league is going to get stuck not having any idea what city they have to fly to until the night before the game. lol

Toth

Totally fine with the Yankee's starting pitching...totally fine....

The Yankees are really going to lose this series....

TheNatural

My Member!
Another thing funny about the playoffs this year is that the team with the best record in both leagues is at a severe disadvantage. The playoffs start the day after the Wild Card game, so the team with the best record in each league is going to get stuck not having any idea what city they have to fly to until the night before the game. lol

That's true, but then again, the wild card team will burn its #1 starter just trying to survive I'm guessing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MLB_PR
Springsteen's "Land of Hope & Dreams" will be Postseason theme w/ spots on TBS, FOX, MLBN.

gross. almost as bad as written in the stars.

MLB_PR
Springsteen's "Land of Hope & Dreams" will be Postseason theme w/ spots on TBS, FOX, MLBN.

gross. almost as bad as written in the stars.
Written In the Stars was hilariously awesome, made funnier that it was already used by the WWE/other sports. Made it look like the there piggybacking the shit outta it.

I'll never forget Written In The Stars if only for the Red Sox and Braves playoff highlight packages they had rolling in the last two weeks of the season only for them to get trashed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken_Rosenthal
#Twins’ Mauler clears waivers. Can be traded by Fri. 12 a.m. ET deadline for setting playoff rosters. Highly unlikely. Has full no-trade.

Tonights game is huge. We're currently split 7's. If we tie at the end of the season for a playoff spot, tonights winner gets in

No, Selig changed the rules that any ties at the end of the season have to be decided by a tiebreaker game even if both teams are guaranteed spots in the playoffs. W/L record only decides homefield advantage now.

Vance Worley is done for the season. He's having elbow surgery to remove "numerous loose bodies" in his elbow. It's not TJ surgery, thankfully for the Phillies.

Toth

At least the Orioles and Rays are coming to town now to show if the Yankees really have what it takes to be worthy for the playoffs. At the moment, I am very skeptical this team has ANY chance of winning 2 playoff games.

Macattk15

I see the Ichiro Suzuki curse still working in full effect for the Yankees.

16-17 Yankees
21-12 Mariners

Records since the Ichiro trade.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

Now that's Mauer's cleared waivers, here's the deal on him. Still owed $138 million over the next six seasons. Also, he a full no-trade clause. He has no options however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom