• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

well here is hoping that with valverde on the mound the white sox can put a fun finish on at the end.
edit: lead off man on... come on at least get another guy on base so that the tying run is at the plate.
edit: got a run in but it's now 2 outs and no one on... come on 2 out magic.
edit: base hit... tying run at the plate... COME ON WHITE SOX.... btw I really wish there were other white sox fans or a tigers fan around... lol
at the very least this finish is exciting.
edit: nothing more disappointing then watching some bozo just watch strike three with the game on the line :/ I really don't get why a guy with a .198 BA was left in the game when there were better players left on the bench :/

Fenix

it will depend if the indians think they can fix their team for next year
the indians were 44-41 at the all star break they are currently 59-84 so they have gone 15-43 and that includes a 3 game sweep of the tigers a week ago lol.

the astros will obviously be the worst team in the majors... the question is who will be the second worst. twins, indians, cubs or rockies lol
It's been noted that they're gonna shop Masterson and Perez in the offseason as well as Choo, but they'll hold on the Choo if they don't get a good enough offer, since they'll just make him a qualifying offer next year and get a comp pick if no one meets their price.

Just wondering what that is, essentially it should be whatever a year of Choo is worth + the equivalent of a 1st round/sandwich round pick. Is that a young, controllable RF + some sort of B-ish catching prospect?

Edit: ^ yeah, for me he fills the Jays LF hole for a year and is a very respectable leadoff hitter. Would be a great pickup.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
LOL! Now I know you are just trolling. Phils had the best record the last 2 seasons and the best record this year since August. The only time the Nats had more talent was when they Phils were playing their AAA team before Howard and Utley came back. Phils have a better pitching staff for sure now that Strats is home chilling, and the lineup are really close.

The lineups may be a lot closer now that Utley and Howard are back. Look, I understand where you're coming from, but here's where I use your own words against you.

Without Utley and Howard for half the year, a loss of about 5 WAR (being generous looking back about two years), the Phillies fielded a triple A level squad. Today they sit at 38.2 fWAR.

The Nats played half the year without Werth, Morse and an ineffective Zimmerman (because of a shoulder injury). Since this is fantasy land, let's call it even. Today they sit at 47.6 WAR, better than the Reds or Rangers.

If that doesn't indicate a talent disparity, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, Utley is great when healthy, but the Phillies have no depth, and help isn't coming. Enjoy your winning streak.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
mLpvx.png
zx0hV.png

sQ7fe.png

Even if the Dodgers billion dollar lineup gets healthy and gets shit figured out next season, they still won't get by with the garbage staff they have after Kershaw. And it's not like the Free Agent pitching crop is deep. How about King Felix for....oh wait their farm system sucks.

Even if the Dodgers billion dollar lineup gets healthy and gets shit figured out next season, they still won't get by with the garbage staff they have after Kershaw. And it's not like the Free Agent pitching crop is deep. How about King Felix for....oh wait their farm system sucks.
Yep. We won't get anywhere with the bullpen we've got now. Even if we made it to the playoffs we would've been a first round exit.

Yep. We won't get anywhere with the bullpen we've got now. Even if we made it to the playoffs we would've been a first round exit.

I'm honestly surprised that they didn't take Lackey instead of Crawford in that deal. Granted they are both garbage contracts, but I'd have more faith in getting value out of Lackey coming back to the west coast, in a pitchers park, off tommy john surgery, and playing against the NL West, then I would of Crawford returning to form in his 30s. Maybe they tried and the Red Sox said no, but if that's the case, with the players LA gave up, their front office must have had their legs wide open for Boston.

bluemax

Banned
I would have bet good money the Dodgers would have taken control of the 2nd wildcard by now. What the hell is going on over there?

Blaming Bobby V for the Red Sox being terrible is like blaming Obama for the economy. Things started going sour before he got the job. Also, if you thought either of them could fix the problems they inherited, you were pretty wrong. lol

The Dodgers are 6-11 since the big trade and AGon has hit worse than James Loney.

Gannd

Banned
I love what the A's are doing. But any team that's trying to take down the Evil Empire will be getting a lot of attention.

I just get frustrated because the A's are doing on $50m what Baltimore is doing on $80m the A's should be a bigger story. The idiots on baseball tonight still do not believe the A's are a playoff team.

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR SEPTEMBER 12

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:

AL East Tiebreaker: Yankees @ Orioles

AL Wild Card Game: Orioles @ Athletics or Athletics @ Yankees

NL Wild Card Game: Cardinals @ Braves

ALDS Game 1: Rangers @ Athletics -OR- Orioles -OR- Yankees
ALDS Game 1: White Sox @ Yankees -OR- White Sox @ Orioles

NLDS Game 1: Nationals @ Braves -OR- Cardinals
NLDS Game 1: Giants @ Reds

American League

EAST
LEADER: Orioles/Yankees
MAGIC NUMBER: --
Code:
             W         L         GB
Orioles      80        62        ---
Yankees      80        62        ---
Rays         77        64        3.0

CENTRAL
LEADER: White Sox
MAGIC NUMBER: 20
Code:
             W         L         GB
White Sox    76        66        ---
Tigers       75        67        1.0

WEST
LEADER: Rangers
MAGIC NUMBER: 18
Code:
             W         L         GB
Rangers      85        57        ---
Athletics    82        60        3.0
Angels       77        66        8.5

WILD CARD
LEADER #1: Athletics
LEADER #2: Yankees/Orioles
MAGIC NUMBER: --
Code:
             W         L         GB
Athletics    82        60       +2.0
Orioles      80        62        ---
Yankees      80        62        ---
Rays         77        65        3.0
Angels       77        66        3.5
Tigers       75        67        5.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Rangers - 20 (1 v CLE, 3 v SEA, OFF, 3 @ LAA, 3 @ SEA, 4 v OAK, 3 v LAA, 3 @ OAK)

Yankees - 20 (1 @ BOS, 3 @ TB, OFF, 3 v TOR, 3 v OAK, 3 @ MIN, 4 @ TOR, 3 v BOS)

White Sox - 20 (1 v DET, 3 @ MIN, OFF, 3 @ KC, 3 @ LAA, 3 v CLE, 4 v TB, 3 @ CLE)

Athletics - 20 (1 @ LAA, 3 v BAL, OFF, 3 @ DET, 3 @ NYY, 4 @ TEX, 3 v SEA, 3 v TEX)

Orioles - 20 (1 v TB, 3 @ OAK, 3 @ SEA, OFF, 3 @ BOS, 4 v TOR, OFF, 3 v BOS, 3 @ TB)

Angels - 19 (1 v OAK, 3 @ KC, OFF, 3 v TEX, 3 v CWS, OFF, 3 v SEA, 3 @ TEX, 3 @ SEA)

Rays - 20 (1 @ BAL, 3 @ NYY, 4 v BOS, 3 v TOR, OFF, 2 @ BOS, 4 @ CWS, 3 v BOS)

Tigers - 20 (1 @ CWS, 3 @ CLE, OFF, 3 v OAK, 3 v MIN, 4 v KC, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ KC)

National League

EAST
LEADER: Nationals
MAGIC NUMBER: 11
Code:
             W         L         GB
Nationals    89        54        ---
Braves       81        63        8.5

CENTRAL
LEADER: Reds
MAGIC NUMBER: 8
Code:
             W         L         GB
Reds         87        57        ---
Cardinals    75        68        11.5
Pirates      72        70        14.0

WEST
LEADER: Giants
MAGIC NUMBER: 13
Code:
             W         L         GB
Giants       81        62        ---
Dodgers      74        69        7.0

WILD CARD
LEADER #1: Braves
LEADER #2: Cardinals
MAGIC NUMBER: 19
Code:
             W         L         GB
Braves       81        63       +5.5
Cardinals    75        68        ---
Dodgers      74        69        1.0
Pirates      72        70        2.5
Brewers      72        71        3.0
Phillies     72        71        3.0

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Nationals - 19 (OFF, 3 @ ATL, OFF, 3 v LAD, 4 v MIL, 3 @ PHI, 3 @ STL, 3 v PHI)

Reds - 18 (OFF, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ CHC, 3 v LAD, OFF, 3 v MIL, 3 @ PIT, 3 @ STL)

Giants - 19 (OFF, 3 @ ARI, 4 v COL, 3 v SD, OFF, 3 v ARI, 3 @ SD, 3 @ LAD)

Braves - 18 (OFF, 3 v WAS, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ PHI, OFF, 3 v MIA, 3 v NYM, 3 @ PIT)

Cardinals - 19 (4 @ LAD, OFF, 3 v HOU, 3 @ CHC, 3 @ HOU, OFF, 3 v WAS, 3 v CIN)

Dodgers - 19 (4 v STL, OFF, 3 @ WAS, 3 @ CIN, OFF, 3 @ SD, 3 v COL, 3 v SF)

Pirates - 20 (OFF, 4 @ CHC, 3 v MIL, 3 @ HOU, 4 @ NYM, 3 v CIN, 3 v ATL)

Brewers - 19 (OFF, 3 v NYM, OFF, 3 @ PIT, 4 @ WAS, 3 @ CIN, 3 v HOU, 3 v SD)

Phillies - 19 (4 @ HOU, 3 @ NYM, OFF, 3 v ATL, OFF, 3 v WAS, 3 @ MIA, 3 @ WAS)

Gannd

Banned
I know everybody loves Trout but if the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim in Orange County do not make the playoffs he should not get the MVP. I think Cespedes has a strong case for it. Look how the A's have played with him.

I'm honestly surprised that they didn't take Lackey instead of Crawford in that deal. Granted they are both garbage contracts, but I'd have more faith in getting value out of Lackey coming back to the west coast, in a pitchers park, off tommy john surgery, and playing against the NL West, then I would of Crawford returning to form in his 30s. Maybe they tried and the Red Sox said no, but if that's the case, with the players LA gave up, their front office must have had their legs wide open for Boston.
I bet that was all Ned. He thought Blanton and Beckett would be the pieces that would help strengthen that rotation but both of them haven't worked out at all. Everyone knows Victorino is out the door after the season is over and Ned must believe that Crawford would return to his All-Star days but nobody believes that will happen. This entire deal is going to bite us in the ass for years to come.

We've got problems all over the place. Hell I don't know what we're going to do with Mattingly.

I just get frustrated because the A's are doing on $50m what Baltimore is doing on $80m the A's should be a bigger story. The idiots on baseball tonight still do not believe the A's are a playoff team.

ESPN: If it didn't happen on the eastern seaboard, it didn't happen.

The Dodgers have all the starting pitching they need in Kershaw, apparently. Lackey's a dirtbag anyway, filing for divorce after his wife had a double mastectomy and was still going through chemo.

xbhaskarx

I know everybody loves Trout but if the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim in Orange County do not make the playoffs he should not get the MVP. I think Cespedes has a strong case for it. Look how the A's have played with him.

As an A's fan I have to say this is absolutely fucking ridiculous on five different levels... the main one being
Cespedes 1.6 WAR
Trout 8.7 WAR

7 games up. Baller ass shit!

Hard to catch up to a team when their worse losing streak this year is 5 games

well done...Hopefully we join you guys in the playoffs via wildcard

Big 4 game set this weekend

.287, 30 HR, 96 RBI.

Really dang impressive considering his terrible start. Too bad about the team, though!

I LOL that whole month when GAF clowned him....
His last couple of years he's been a slow starter

McNei1y

LOL! Now I know you are just trolling. Phils had the best record the last 2 seasons and the best record this year since August. The only time the Nats had more talent was when they Phils were playing their AAA team before Howard and Utley came back. Phils have a better pitching staff for sure now that Strats is home chilling, and the lineup are really close.

This post reeks of homerism.

Obviously the Phillies had the best record the past two seasons but what do that have to do with this year and the product on the field for 2012? The lineups may be "close" but our bench destroys any case for that. The only thing I'd be afraid of is your pitching staff.

Like Fox said, we've missed Werth for 2 1/2 months, Desmond for a good 3-4 weeks, Zimmerman for 4 weeks (and his first couple of months were ugly) and Morse for 2 months - not to mention Ramos for the entire season give or take a month. Guys like Lombardozzi, Moore, and Bernadina have stepped it up big time. And the offense has still, somehow, performed.

I'm not going to ignore the fact that you guys have been really hot since August but both teams have been the same, with the Nats having the slight edge. The Nats are 28-13 since the beginning of August while the Phillies are 26-13. Yeah, you've guys smoked us in both series, though, but we still have 2 left. We'll let the rest of September do the talking since it's pretty much pointless to argue when one has performed all year round and is at the top.

Puddles

Banned
At this point the Dodgers should most definitely be contracted at the end of the season. I'm not sure about the technical details of getting that $2 billion back to Magic Johnson and his associates, but I'm sure someone can figure something out. Chavez Ravine would be a good place to build a nuclear power plant, or maybe a water park.

I can't remember what happens to the players when a team is contracted. Do they all become free agents, or is there a waiver process? It would be funny if Boston somehow managed to get Beckett and Crawford again.

HarryDemeanor is officially sliding into insanity. Can't blame him, though. The Cardinals are practically begging someone to snatch WC #2 from them and the Dodgers and Pirates keep falling all over each other..

Jangocube

Banned

Calm down bro.

It's an AL East thing, you wouldn't understand.

eznark

Banned
The idea that being three games back in the fucking AL West is in any way similar or analogous to leading the AL East is fucking laughable.

Of course, if you think fucking Cespedes is an MVP candidate you probably don't really follow baseball so I can understand.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been 15 years since Oakland had any success.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
/facepalm

This post reeks of homerism.

Obviously the Phillies had the best record the past two seasons but what do that have to do with this year and the product on the field for 2012? The lineups may be "close" but our bench destroys any case for that. The only thing I'd be afraid of is your pitching staff.

Like Fox said, we've missed Werth for 2 1/2 months, Desmond for a good 3-4 weeks, Zimmerman for 4 weeks (and his first couple of months were ugly) and Morse for 2 months - not to mention Ramos for the entire season give or take a month. Guys like Lombardozzi, Moore, and Bernadina have stepped it up big time. And the offense has still, somehow, performed.

I'm not going to ignore the fact that you guys have been really hot since August but both teams have been the same, with the Nats having the slight edge. The Nats are 28-13 since the beginning of August while the Phillies are 26-13. Yeah, you've guys smoked us in both series, though, but we still have 2 left. We'll let the rest of September do the talking since it's pretty much pointless to argue when one has performed all year round and is at the top.

I dont see how it reeks of homerism at all. I aid the Nats have a better lineup but the Phils definitely have better pitching. I just dont see how there is this huge talent disparity between the teams. The Nats have been great all year but the Phil hav been playing great since getting their team back. Hopefully they meet in the playoffs and we can see if the Nats really are that much better.

turnbuckle

well here is hoping that with valverde on the mound the white sox can put a fun finish on at the end.
edit: lead off man on... come on at least get another guy on base so that the tying run is at the plate.
edit: got a run in but it's now 2 outs and no one on... come on 2 out magic.
edit: base hit... tying run at the plate... COME ON WHITE SOX.... btw I really wish there were other white sox fans or a tigers fan around... lol
at the very least this finish is exciting.
edit: nothing more disappointing then watching some bozo just watch strike three with the game on the line :/ I really don't get why a guy with a .198 BA was left in the game when there were better players left on the bench :/

Tigers fan here, but since this got moved to community and isn't stickied I often don't even think to post. I gave it the college try awhile back but no other Tigers fans were here and it kinda feels like talking to yourself :p

Looking forward to the game tonight. Even if the Tigers pull even they have a weird way of only being able to beat the White Sox lately.

McNei1y

I dont see how it reeks of homerism at all. I aid the Nats have a better lineup but the Phils definitely have better pitching. I just dont see how there is this huge talent disparity between the teams. The Nats have been great all year but the Phil hav been playing great since getting their team back. Hopefully they meet in the playoffs and we can see if the Nats really are that much better.

Because you got the blinders on. You made claims and posted stats that didn't have anything to do with the records or talent difference. It's there. Your optimized lineup is great, but that's just that. Without Utley or Howard, it's really nothing exciting.

cashman

Banned
The idea that being three games back in the fucking AL West is in any way similar or analogous to leading the AL East is fucking laughable.

Of course, if you think fucking Cespedes is an MVP candidate you probably don't really follow baseball so I can understand.

You are right. The AL West is a much tougher division than the AL East.

Because you got the blinders on. You made claims and posted stats that didn't have anything to do with the records or talent difference. It's there. Your optimized lineup is great, but that's just that. Without Utley or Howard, it's really nothing exciting.

Why would we be looking at the lineup without Utley or Howard, is something going to happen to them? Also Jimmy has really turned it on of late, and they are getting good production out of the catcher spot. JP, Ty, and Nix have been getting a lot of clutch hits off the bench as well. I still dont see how their is a great talent disparity between the teams.

McNei1y

Why would we be looking at the lineup without Utley or Howard, is something going to happen to them? Also Jimmy has really turned it on of late, and they are getting good production out of the catcher spot. JP, Ty, and Nix have been getting a lot of clutch hits off the bench as well. I still dont see how their is a great talent disparity between the teams.

Because that's where the argument is? If you guys had a deep team, you could be where you were supposed to be... but you aren't. Missing Utley and Howard sucks. I know that. But if you blame your disappointing season on those injuries then you're missing the point. We've missed out on many great players this whole year yet our bench has enough talent to keep up with other major league lineups.

I'm also not saying Utley and Howard are your only guys since Ruiz is a beast of a man and Rollins is handling himself well... but i am saying that without those two guys, you dont have anything to really fit in when they're absent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom