• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blearth

Banned
tumblr_m6ieg14EAZ1rpcyfbo2_250.gif
The bat is a symbol for xFIP.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Did I read correctly that the Yankees are on pace to break the all-time single season HR club record?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
# of games vs. .500 teams or better (and W% against)
Code:
Orioles    63  .508 (vs) (out of 77 games fyi)
Braves     57  .474
Blue Jays  56  .446
Marlins    54  .370
Yankees    54  .593
Tigers     52  .462
Mariners   52  .327
Royals     51  .451
Phillies   51  .373
A's        50  .460
Rays       50  .500
Nationals  49  .571
Mets       49  .531
Reds       48  .542
Astros     46  .413
Twins      46  .326
Red Sox    45  .467
Pirates    44  .455
Cubs       44  .364
Brewers    44  .432
Rockies    44  .364
Angels     44  .523
Indians    43  .419
White Sox  40  .500
Padres     39  .282
Dbacks     39  .359
Cardinals  38  .447
Rangers    36  .611
Giants     36  .500
Dodgers    35  .543 (out of 79 games)

AVG:

AL EAST    54  .503 (vs)
NL EAST    52  .464
AL CENTRAL 47  .431
AL WEST    46  .480
NL CENTRAL 44  .442
NL WEST    39  .410

NL WEST = Easy Mode.
i voted for bourn.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Sharp

Wasn't Harper supposed to be an asshole?
Yes, and just like the story that his PR guys spread around a couple of days ago about him asking the clown question bro beer people to donate the proceeds to charity, it's very likely not an idea original with him. Not to say that these aren't good things, just that I wouldn't read too much into them--his people want to cut off the image problem before it solidifies so they can tap into some of that Jeter merchandising money.

turnbuckle

Not an asshole, but a douche.

In other words, he's just young and we're haters.

That's the way I see it.

Sharp said:
Yes, and just like the story that his PR guys spread around a couple of days ago about him asking the clown question bro beer people to donate the proceeds to charity, it's very likely not an idea original with him. Not to say that these aren't good things, just that I wouldn't read too much into them--his people want to cut off the image problem before it solidifies so they can tap into some of that Jeter merchandising money.

Not sure if there's some sarcasm here or not. It's true that building a positive image is good marketing for a player's brand, but saying that's the reason why a player does something positive pretty much paints them into a corner where they can't do anything right.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So this was on ESPN.

It always seems like the Reds want to pick fights with everyone. And now they're mad that they didn't get two players on the All-Star team? It really says something about the players when neither the fans, nor the players vote them in. And then they complain that the manager of the team, one in which they've injured his players and stirred up some shit with prior, didn't pick them?

Reds, quit being such salty clowns.

So this was on ESPN.

It always seems like the Reds want to pick fights with everyone. And now they're mad that they didn't get two players on the All-Star team? It really says something about the players when neither the fans, nor the players vote them in. And then they complain that the manager of the team, one in which they've injured his players and stirred up some shit with prior, didn't pick them?

TLR probably told MLB "Matt Holliday" but the crowd was too loud and the MLB guy heard "Jay Bruce"

La Russa made nine selections in conjunction with MLB to fill out the remainder of the NL roster. The position players chosen by the manager are catcher Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies, shortstop Ian Desmond of the Nationals and outfielders Jay Bruce of the Reds and Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins. The five pitchers chosen are Phillies teammates Cole Hamels and Jonathan Papelbon, Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw, D-backs starter Wade Miley and Huston Street of the Padres.

I like how La Russa didn't pick Johnny Cueto and Zack Greinke because he thought they were supposed to pitch the Sunday before the game, but both of them are pitching Saturday. The Brewers even asked Greinke what he wanted to do, so they set up the rotation so he could pitch in the ASG.

Mets sign Dominican SS German Ahmed Rosario as an IFA for $1.7 million. Ben Badler of Baseball America says the bonus given to Rosario potentially is the largest ever given to a Dominican player during the Internanational Free Agent signing period. Baseball America listed Rosario 11th in their list of top-20 international prospects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GEuuckaFU&feature=player_embedded#

So basically this is another Flores/Reyes situation where it'd be 4-5 years before I see this guy.

Mets sign Dominican SS German Ahmed Rosario as an IFA for $1.7 million. Ben Badler of Baseball America says the bonus given to Rosario potentially is the largest ever given to a Dominican player during the Internanational Free Agent signing period. Baseball America listed Rosario 11th in their list of top-20 international prospects.

So basically this is another Flores/Reyes situation where it'd be 4-5 years before I see this guy.
Flores is raking in Double A and Valdespin and Jeffry Marte are having solid years. Phillip Evans looks good in Brooklyn and Cechini is a first round pick. Lokking like SS/3B position is looking good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2012/7/2/3132000/giants-sign-gustavo-cabrera

Giants sign No. 5 international prospect Gustavo Cabrera for just $1.3 mil. BA's scouting report:

In terms of raw tools and athleticism, there's nobody in Latin America who is ahead of Cabrera, a 16-year-old from La Romana who trains with Christian "Niche" Batista and plays in the Dominican Prospect League. He's an explosive athlete with plus-plus speed, which gives him excellent range in center field along with a solid arm.

At the plate, Cabrera has terrific bat speed and above-average raw power, but nearly every scout comes back with the same report: Love the tools, not sure if he'll hit in games.

MCC's resident minor league analysis dude's take:

Holy F*@king Crap

I’ve been dreaming on this kid for about 7 months now. There’s no way in my wildest dreams that I thought the Giants could sign him – much less for only $1.3M. I’m sure that he would have gotten at least $2.5M under the old rules just last year. This kid is the real deal. Speed, power and patience at the plate at such a young age. As a 16 year old, he was able to dominate American professional baseball players 2 – 5 years older than him during games held in Florida and Arizona this past spring training.

When you add the Nathaniel Javier signing as the cherry on the top, this finally explains the penny-pinching that the Giants just subjected us to during last month’s draft. It’s obvious now, that the Giants saw that they could get much more bang for their buck in the IFA market this year. Sabes pulled a fast one on us – and this time it was a good surprise.

There are a lot more IFAs still out there for the taking, so the Giants might have a few more surprises for us in the coming weeks. In addition, I’m sure that they’ll be signing 5-10 of their usual 4th-tier and lower prospects in the $5K to $400K range over the next 10 months.

Think of this as the Giants signing a top 3 pick in the recent draft.

He needs to fix the hitch in his swing and level out his uppercut a bit, but there’s a lot to work with there. He’s reported to be a very good defensive 3B.

Malo

Banned
The yankees sign Luis Torrens C No. 2 on BA's Top 20 international prospect list and Alexander Palma OF No. 4 on BA's list. They also signed Yancarlos Baez SS not ranked in BA's top 20.

Luis Torrens
Torrens, a 6-foot-0 and 170 lb. converted infielder, was ranked as the second best international prospect on the market this summer by Baseball America. The right-handed bat is said to have an advanced approach and the ability to hit the ball to all fields, though he’s more likely to have doubles power than over-the-fence power down the line. Torrens is still raw behind the plate, unsurprising considering his age and the fact that he was an infielder not all that long ago.

Alexander Palma
The 16-year-old Venezuelan outfielder is listed at 6-foot-2 and 200 lbs., and is said to have “a clean swing with good bat speed and [the ability to] barrel up the ball” from the right side. Balder says opinions are mixed out his power potential, but everyone agrees it’s at least average. Palma is expected to play right field long-term with solid defensive skills.

Yancarlos Baez
Baez is listed at 6-foot-2 and 165 lbs., though he was not among Baseball America’s top 20 international prospects. He’s said to have very good speed and is “an athletic switch-hitter with good bat speed who could have an average hit tool, with gap power now.”

The yankees have already spent $2.75 million of the $2.9 million cap. This cap is terrible.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/07/yankees-sign-luis-torrens-and-yancarlos-baez-71292/

eznark

Banned
So this was on ESPN.

Uh, apparently you've never been to GAB. Reds fans should be classified as cryptids at this point.

cashman

Banned

welcome to LA signing!

Also the Rangers gave 1 guy a 5 million dollar bonus and another guy a 3 million dollar bonus last year.

rage1973

Trout scratched for today's game and most likely tomorrow as well with a jammed pinky. My reason for watching the Angel's game went down several notches now.

dmag1223

Uh, apparently you've never been to GAB. Reds fans should be classified as cryptids at this point.

It's weird, Reds TV ratings are through the roof, I think they're #1 in baseball. But for some reason it hasn't translated to big crowds at the ballpark. Attendance has been much better lately though hopefully it stays that way.

McNei1y

Storm hit hard down there. Hope all is well.

It's been pretty crazy. Trees are down all over the place. Major intersections were without power. When I was on the beltway Saturday, it felt like I was in some "End of the World" movie. There were damaged cars along the beltway and all kind of emergency vehicles passing through the crazy traffic on the outter and inner loops. Some may still be without power until this Friday/Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom