• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlbeego

Fucking Mawlins.

Yankees have to play the Braves and Mets 6 times.

Sox play this shitty ass franchise. Oh and the Cubs. What a joke.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hearing people on Sirius XM talk about him as a possible All Star hurt my head.
well he has been one of the better Shortstops this year. League Avg wRC+ at SS is 87, Desmond has 102. Of course all of the Defensive stats so far this season have aligned with his career numbers except for UZR, so his numbers are probably inflated because of SSS of UZR.

And of course, Andrelton Simmons hasn't played enough games to be considered for the AS Game so people have to downgrade to players like Desmond.

oh and FYI, Andrelton Simmons already has the highest UZR in the NL after only 17 games played. 2nd in DRS.

Sharp

well he has been one of the better Shortstops this year. League Avg wRC+ at SS is 87, Desmond has 102. Of course all of the Defensive stats so far this season have aligned with his career numbers except for UZR, so his numbers are probably inflated because of SSS of UZR.

And of course, Andrelton Simmons hasn't played enough games to be considered for the AS Game so people have to downgrade to players like Desmond.
Yeah, I appreciate that there's a legitimate case for him... that a player like him could be an All Star just highlights how crappy shortstops have been this year though.

McNei1y

Joe Maddon gave a pine tar smeared ball to a heckler:

zW4JW.jpg

"Stick up for those you care about!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...s-signed-ball/2012/06/21/gJQAzCGstV_blog.html

sangreal

I really don't understand all the comments from Peralta/Maddon.. is going around complaining that someone snitched supposed to curry favor? at least pretend you were wrongly accused or something

Carlbeego

I really don't understand all the comments from Peralta/Maddon.. is going around complaining that someone snitched supposed to curry favor? at least pretend you were wrongly accused or something

Why didn't his teammates rat him out when he played with the Nats? When it benefited them it was ok?

I'm sorry I hate rats.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

They didnt have any problems when he was doing it on their team.

McNei1y

snitches get stitches. Peralta should've thrown at someone. I want to see a brawl! I mean, I laughed when Nyjer went dukes against the Marlins.

Sharp

Looking at the top 30 pitchers by SIERA (minimum of 10 IP), 29/30 are relievers. So in theory 29 teams could have a better reliever than any of their starters (Strasburg is the odd man out). Even if you increase it to the top 60 pitchers by SEIRA, 56/60 are relievers (add in Greinke, Dickey, and Cliff Lee). I figure two relievers can pretty much cover five innings in five days, even if they're exclusively one-inning guys. So even not taking into account that pitchers do worse more times through the lineup, teams should basically never ask their starters to go more than 8 innings, ever, from a performance standpoint. It just doesn't make sense. Obviously there are limitations to this sort of thinking--very small sample sizes for a lot of the relievers, injuries, the fact that bullpen talent isn't equally distributed, the fact that many of these pitchers have extreme splits and are only used in favorable matchup situations, and so on--but I think it's easily outweighed on the other end by how much worse starters are in the ninth, pinch hitting in the NL, and the fact that relief pitchers aren't exclusively limited to one-inning stints.

Fenix

Off to Miami to watch the Jays play in the monstrosity. There's nothing else happening in Miami I should be aware of, right?

Happy Friday! A hearty welcome to Kansas City to the dummies who call themselves the "Best Fans in Baseball"!

sadly, half of them live here :(

Schilling's baseball fortune 'probably all gone'

BOSTON -- Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said Friday that the collapse of his 38 Studios video game company probably has cost him his entire baseball fortune, and he placed part of the blame on Rhode Island officials, including Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Schilling said during a 90-minute interview on WEEI-FM in Boston that he put more than $50 million of his own money in the company and that he's had to tell his family that "the money I saved during baseball was probably all gone."

"I'm tapped out," he said.

Oh man, he's like 29 isn't he? That's tough.

Call up Odorizzi!

That suggestion is definitely being lobbed around. Probably still too early, but he WILL be in the futures game, so that's cool.

And some good news at least: Sal Perez, our badass catcher who tore up his knee just before opening day makes his season debut tonight.

eznark

Banned
That suggestion is definitely being lobbed around. Probably still too early, but he WILL be in the futures game, so that's cool.

And some good news at least: Sal Perez, our badass catcher who tore up his knee just before opening day makes his season debut tonight.

I'm so pissed he's been able to pitch well in PCL. Guy is going to be a monster. :(

Still the only piece I miss.

So, according to documents, all of Curt Schillling's money he made in baseball is gone due to the failure of his game studio, 38 Studios.

According to Baseball-Reference, Schilling made approximately $114 million over his baseball career.

eznark

Banned
Brewers signed Livan Hernandez.

I fucking hate this team.

I assume the next step will be moving Marcum to the DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom