• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

The Pittsburgh Pirates are in first place. Clearly, they intend to stay there.

Major-league sources told FOXSports.com the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions regarding two power-hitting outfielders, San Diego’s Carlos Quentin and Arizona’s Justin Upton. Talent evaluators from those two clubs have scouted Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days, as the teams prepare preference lists of prospects they want in the potential deals.

It seems unlikely the Pirates would acquire both Quentin and Upton, but they have a strong desire to upgrade their lineup by landing one of them.
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen is putting together an MVP season in the No. 3 spot, but he will see fewer pitches to hit in the second half unless general manager Neal Huntington adds a cleanup hitter. Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee have batted fourth for the Pirates in recent days.

Quentin would come at a lower prospect price, because he’s eligible for free agency after this season. Upton would command a larger package, since he’s under contract through 2015.

Upton, who finished fourth in the MVP balloting last year, would be the bigger splash for an organization seeking to re-establish itself. Upton’s relationship with the Arizona franchise has soured recently amid criticism from owner Ken Kendrick, but he’s highly regarded within the industry. A change of scenery may be the best thing for Upton. If he lands in Pittsburgh, he would combine with McCutchen to give the Pirates their best collection of star talent since the departure of Barry Bonds.

The Pirates, who invested large sums of money in the draft over the past several years, have the prospect depth to consummate a deal for either Upton or Quentin. The question is how willing Huntington will be to part with the necessary pieces.

Two Pirates pitching prospects — right-handers Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon — were selected for Sunday’s All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City. The Pirates are said to be more reluctant to trade Cole than Taillon, in part because Cole is closer to the majors.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ial-trades-carlos-quentin-justin-upton-070812

This is a nice feeling. Even down 4-0, I told my buddy I didn't feel like we were out of it. Lo and behold, they respond with 3 in the bottom of the inning.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
no, taillon could be our #2 guy. our rotation in a few years needs him. i dunno maybe im just falling in love the fact that an OF of bell, clutch, marte and having taillon/cole lead the rotation.
Odds are 2 of them stick in the majors.

eznark

Banned
dont crush my dreams with facts, our pitching staff will need them making it.

Looking at the past decade of trash heaped top prospect Pirates pitchers you should be begging for this deal to get made. Look out, don't want to lose the next Zach Duke!

clemenx

Banned
Seeing Pirates fans discussing a Trade for Upton reminds me how people overrate their own prospect.

I would absolutely offer Taillon + Marte (I agree with not touching Cole) And try to run away with that.

yes make a deal or 2. do not fucking trade important pieces of the puzzle though. taillon/cole shouldnt even be close to the discussion table ffs

If you want Upton probably need one of them since he is signed for 3 years, Carlos should be pretty easy to get from the Padres for cheap though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bombzaldroppen
QWUNl.jpg

Any SF fans here have any insight on what's gone wrong with Tim Lincecum? The guy is a complete train wreck this year save a few starts. 6.42ERA after today's game.

eznark

Banned
Lead off guy gets on, Roenicke sac bunts, team IBB Braun. The number of times this fucking pile of trash has done this is unbelievable. Fuck Roenicke in the skull.

Lol Mills is pitcning to Braun

dmag1223

Watching Rolen play now is actually really sad. The guy was a stud and one of my favorite players. Crazy how rapid decline can come in baseball.

lol Stubbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom