• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl Crawford says he'll eventually need Tommy John surgery.
Crawford was told by doctors in April that he would likely require the procedure to repair his damaged ulnar collateral ligament. He considered it, but ultimately decided to play this season. Crawford knows that the surgery is coming, however. "Probably at some point it's going to blow out on me," Crawford said. "It's one of those things that is what it is." If Crawford were to undergo the procedure in October, he could be ready for camp in March. Position players don't require the 12-month recovery time typically recommended for pitchers.

Strasbsurg is already at 99 innings. I'm presuming whatever he does in the All-Star game will count towards this, so let's call it 100 innings.

If Strasburg averages 7 innings in his next 8 starts, he's at 163 and is presumably shut down (if that 160 limit is true).

I can't see them doing that if the race is close. And what does that mean for the playoffs if they make it? Strasburg doesn't pitch in the postseason? Is that what they're saving John Lannan for?

Projected 4th place Dodgers sitting on top of NL West.

PxDUM.gif

Sharp

Strasbsurg is already at 99 innings. I'm presuming whatever he does in the All-Star game will count towards this, so let's call it 100 innings.

If Strasburg averages 7 innings in his next 8 starts, he's at 163 and is presumably shut down (if that 160 limit is true).

I can't see them doing that if the race is close. And what does that mean for the playoffs if they make it? Strasburg doesn't pitch in the postseason? Is that what they're saving John Lannan for?
The way the postseason is arranged they would never have to use John Lannan. Gio / Zimmermann / Jackson (/ Detwiler?) is a very respectable postseason rotation.

Jimmy Rollins said after today's game the Phillies would be "stupid" to trade people just because they're 37-50 at the break. "We haven't played one game all season with all our pieces. Why trade everyone before you see what we can do when we're all healthy and together?"

In other news, Rollins to never be hired as a GM.

I agree with him. They still have a few weeks until the deadline, lets see what happens when Doc comes back and Howard and Utley get some more ABs. I am sure everyone was saying the Cards were out of it last year and we know how that turned out. The Phils shouldnt even be thinking about trading guys until the day of the deadline. They dont gain anything by rushing things.

eznark

Banned
I agree with him. They still have a few weeks until the deadline, lets see what happens when Doc comes back and Howard and Utley get some more ABs. I am sure everyone was saying the Cards were out of it last year and we know how that turned out. The Phils shouldnt even be thinking about trading guys until the day of the deadline. They dont gain anything by rushing things.

Well, trading pitchers early can be a big deal. Getting an extra 4 starts or whatever after the break but before the deadline can add a lot of value.

zulux21

Felix / Strasburg, currently anyway. Stras is getting shut down though and Sale might overtake Felix.

you can't overlook Jered Weaver who currently to me is actually the leader in the AL, he missed a few starts but he has the lowest era, lowest WHIP and has only had 2 bad starts and in 11 of his 15 starts has given up 1 or less runs.

Dickey would have my vote in the NL so far, first in wins (a mostly meaningless stat when determining cy young winner but still), second in strike outs, 5th in era, and first in WHIP. To me he is the current stand out.

Prade

Dickey: 12-1, 2.40 ERA, 123 K, 0.93 WHIP, 3 CG, 158 ERA+, 3.8 WAR

Cain: 9-3, 2.62 ERA, 118 K, 0.96 WHIP, 2 CG, 134 ERA+, 2.4 WAR

He's also a much better story. Thanks Larussa.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I am starting to wonder if La Russa is a secret agent of the AL.
I can understand the logic. Posey is still fairly green as a catcher and doesn't have any experience with the knuckleball. Of course, my frustration comes from the fact that Posey shouldn't be starting to begin with.

Thanks again, San Francisco.

Matt Cain - perfect games: 1
R.A. Dickey - perfect games: 0

This is the only stat La Russa knows about either guy.

Edit: Link it is like 1 inning, how bad of a ctaher do you have to be to not be able to catch a guy for an inning because he throws a knuckleball. Pull Posey after the 1st and get someone better in.

Edit: Link it is like 1 inning, how bad of a ctaher do you have to be to not be able to catch a guy for an inning because he throws a knuckleball. Pull Posey after the 1st and get someone better in.

Usually the starter pitches 1 full time around the batting order. That's 2 and sometimes 3 innings.

The other issue is that if Yadi or Ruiz were starting (which they should've) the whole protect Posey thing wouldn't be an issue. It's a snowball effect.

NL Starting Lineup released:

1. Carlos Gonzalez - DH
2. Melky Cabrera - CF
3. Ryan Braun - LF
4. Joey Votto - 1B
5. Carlos Beltran - RF
6. Buster Posey - C
7. Pablo Sandoval - 3B
8. Dan Uggla - 2B
9. Rafael Furcal - SS

SP - Matt Cain

Other than the Nationals, Pirates, and Mets, i think it's been a boring first half.

I hope my Padres team manages to avoid losing 100 games. The team improved once they dumped Orlando Hudson, and sent down Nick Hundley. The additions of Amarista, Quentin, Grandal, and Alonso have made team exciting to watch.

My second half predictions.

AL: Yankees, White Sox, Rangers, WC Angels vs Red Sox.
NL: Nationals, Reds, Giants, WC Braves vs Cardinals

Pirates, Dodgers, Orioles, and Mets to lose gas. Detroit fires Leyland.

Cy Young AL: Weaver, NL: Dickey

Personal thoughts: Glad the dodgers are back in reality and sucking ass, same as the brewers, but they always do so yeah :)

Because apparently Cano said he would pick a KC player for his HRD team, then didn't. Essentially, it's what happened last year when Upton didn't get picked for the NL team

Yep, that's it. It the days leading up to us seeing if Billy Butler would get in, everyone was excited because if so, he'd also be in the HRD, since Cano specifically said it. Then Billy Butler got picked as an All Star, then Cano announced his team last Tuesday while giving us the finger.

JABEE

I'm ready to trade some Players now if they won't be resigned. If you can get major league ready pieces that could replace Polanco, Pierre or Victorino next season, I'd do a deal. I'd rather not lose Hamels or Victorino for nothing. If Hamels can't get a deal done by the end of July, it's time to move him. Try to get him back in the Winter if you were ever willing to make a competitive offer to resign him. The Phillies would have signed him by now if Hamels were willing to accept what Phillies were offering. He seems to want to test free agency.

Victorino is not getting a five year deal. I wouldn't bring him back at more than a three year deal.

Yankees have suspended Reggie Jackson for his comments in Sports Illustrated. He's been told to stay away from the team until told otherwise.

I'm ready to trade some Players now if they won't be resigned. If you can get major league ready pieces that could replace Polanco, Pierre or Victorino next season, I'd do a deal. I'd rather not lose Hamels or Victorino for nothing. If Hamels can't get a deal done by the end of July, it's time to move him. Try to get him back in the Winter if you were ever willing to make a competitive offer to resign him. The Phillies would have signed him by now if Hamels were willing to accept what Phillies were offering. He seems to want to test free agency.

Victorino is not getting a five year deal. I wouldn't bring him back at more than a three year deal.

Why wouldnt you want Pierre back? Dude has been incredible and he would be even more valuable if he could hit leadoff. I wouldnt bring back Victorino for anything. I have been really disappointed with his attitude this year and I would rather see Dom or someone else get a shot at that spot. Polanco is done, he will be a PH/late inning defensive replacement going forward. If he wants to do it here for no money that is fine. You are right about Cole wanting to be a FA. He said today that he wants to stay but he isnt sure if the team is committed to being competitive. LOL at that, they have the 2nd highest payroll and signed Cliff Lee even with all the money they were paying out at the time. Phils need to upgrade an outfiled spot, 3rd base, their bench, and their bullpen for next year. Hopefully trading Cole and Victorino can fill most of those holes if they dont turn things around right away.

JABEE

Why wouldnt you want Pierre back? Dude has been incredible and he would be even more valuable if he could hit leadoff. I wouldnt bring back Victorino for anything. I have been really disappointed with his attitude this year and I would rather see Dom or someone else get a shot at that spot. Polanco is done, he will be a PH/late inning defensive replacement going forward. If he wants to do it here for no money that is fine. You are right about Cole wanting to be a FA. He said today that he wants to stay but he isnt sure if the team is committed to being competitive. LOL at that, they have the 2nd highest payroll and signed Cliff Lee even with all the money they were paying out at the time. Phils need to upgrade an outfiled spot, 3rd base, their bench, and their bullpen for next year. Hopefully trading Cole and Victorino can fill most of those holes if they dont turn things around right away.

I pretty much agree with you. I don't see how Hamels isn't traded. I hope whatever te Phil's get for him will help them get younger now. They don't need project players, they need players who can step up next season. I hope a team gets desperate enough to trade a star prospect. Who are some prospects the Phillie should expect to get back in return for Hamels. I heard of Olt the Texas 3B. I'd like to trade for someone like Trumbo, but he's already an every day player for LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom