• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

serioulsy Oakland, haven't you been watching Beltre for the last.... 2 months? haven't you seen that the addict hasn't hit well?

Well, I would probably still do it in that situation. You have to set yourself up for the double-play. They were kind of screwed as soon as they gave up singles to Moreland and Kinsler.

rando14

Smoak, Ackley, Montero, Seager and the rest of the 2010 AAA overhyped prospect all star team better come alive against the Angels.

ilTvr2QG4EoJo.gif

Lesson 1 to rooting for the M's: never ever ever have any expectations.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Oakland September collapse? Angels emerged as the second wildcard?
Angels make the playoffs, Tigers miss it. Cabrera wins the Triple Crown. Dumbass writers are conflicted because the tigers didn't make the playoffs and the angels did. All of their heads explode. The world rejoices.

I have no quarrel if either the rays, angels, or a's make take the 2nd wildcard, but i would hate it if the shitty underachieving tigers made the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen to them is for them to actually win their division, and keep their shitty manager for another season. He is the reason they will never win a world series. They have a competitive team, minus the closer.

bluemax

Banned
I have no quarrel if either the rays, angels, or a's make take the 2nd wildcard, but i would hate it if the shitty underachieving tigers made the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen to them is for them to actually win their division, and keep their shitty manager for another season. He is the reason they will never win a world series. They have a competitive team, minus the closer.

And the fact that the Tigers are atrocious on defense.

Cripes. Let's hope everything is ok, the last thing we need is another injury. Luckily we've had a nice little streak going so if he misses 1 or 2 it won't be the end of the world.
Assuming it's not serious, he could use a few days off. Although since Matt Carpenter is the backup 3B, it means we can't give Beltran more rest either. Unless we give Skip a start or two in RF.

clemenx

Banned
What about Keith calling the Mets "metsies" every other game?

LOL at the White Sox number. Every other team seems understandable, they're local broadcasts after all.

Also, SBNation sucks. RIP.

shocked about teh Yankees being so low. if they put the radio side it'd be a bit higher, although except for homerun calls Sterling isn't always Ra-Ra cheering.

jman2050

Michael Kay has a lot one can complain about, but he's fair and diplomatic in how he calls the game, so this doesn't surprise me.

Mets TV announcers > all non-Vin announcing teams though.

zulux21

Bias Commentary Index via WSJ. It was very obvious which team has the most bias commentary.

I really don't see what is wrong with the home commentary being biased towards the home team :p

anyways crappy day... white sox lose and my trip to the mechanic that I thought would run me 150-250 is looking more like 1500-2500 @_@

mernst23

I really don't see what is wrong with the home commentary being biased towards the home team :p

anyways crappy day... white sox lose and my trip to the mechanic that I thought would run me 150-250 is looking more like 1500-2500 @_@

As a white sox fan who watches other games on mlb.tv and the occasional cub games; I say, tough shit and who cares? Why the fuck do I want the announcer in my game treating an away team's home run like a home team's home run? The only thing I don't like about Hawk is when we're losing he's a captain bringdown-doomsayer. It rubs the salt in and the game action itself lately has been more than enough to do it by itself.

I was watching the yanks/oak extra inning game on YES and for a thriller, game calls sounded like 2nd inning boilerplate. Don't understand how yankee fans can watch games on TV and not be bored out of their mind.

Windu

wtf happened to SBnation
yeah looks like the verge designer got a hold of it. not bad though. the news is still in a list type view so that is all I need. (unlike the verge which is all over the place).
Loria called Freddy Gonzalez classless? He's a piece of shit no matter where you look.
I think fredi started it with this comment:
Fredi Gonzalez said:
“There’s not a manager dead or alive that Jeffrey thinks is good enough. Not Connie Mack, not anyone.”
and then Loria:
Jeffrey Loria said:
“I’m a little surprised because it’s classless — and you can quote me — especially because he was with us for five years and he was a colossal failure. Not nice. Not nice.”

Sanjuro

As a white sox fan who watches other games on mlb.tv and the occasional cub games; I say, tough shit and who cares? Why the fuck do I want the announcer in my game treating an away team's home run like a home team's home run? The only thing I don't like about Hawk is when we're losing he's a captain bringdown-doomsayer. It rubs the salt in and the game action itself lately has been more than enough to do it by itself.

I was watching the yanks/oak extra inning game on YES and for a thriller, game calls sounded like 2nd inning boilerplate. Don't understand how yankee fans can watch games on TV and not be bored out of their mind.

Hawk is just a terrible commentator as well. I think it was this year, an opposing team hit a walk of home run. I don't think he spoke a word for about a minute.

Sterling is more fun, I don't even bother with YES. Kay just bores me and he always sounds forced on any call. he used to be much better when he was on the radio with Sterling. but he went chasing those big dollars, his right of course but ever since then he's become so uptight, ugh!

cashman

Banned
Fucking shit, Darvish scratched from today's game due to neck stiffness. This makes 2 times in a row that Darvish is scratched the day I go to one of his starts.

zulux21

Personally I like the homerism, it's nice to know the guy calling the game for the home team cares about the home team, but yeah I can agree Hawk being negative or getting caught up on something is annoying. Yes we missed a double play that we should have turned, but it didn't need to be mentioned 20 times before the inning was over.

But yeah I watch other team's games from time to time as well and a couple of them are really boring to watch... heck a lot of them I feel like MLB the show shows more excitement and is into the game more than the actual live announcers lol. The only other announcers I know I don't mind are the tigers announcers, and I know I absolutely detest one of the east coast announcers but I can't recall which ones (I don't think it's the yankees, I think it's either tampa or torano... just so boring and monotone, there is a chance it was the yankees though... I don't watch much east coast baseball lol)

crpav

Hawk is just a terrible commentator as well. I think it was this year, an opposing team hit a walk of home run. I don't think he spoke a word for about a minute.

He's a commentator for the Sox, what do you expect? He is a fan of the team as well as THEIR commentator so I can't see him being like "White Sox lose by an incredible home run by (insert name here) Wow, what a game!". Get over it people and deal with it. Sure, I wish he "cleaned " it up some as I get tired of his rants and always saying "stretch" but in the end when things are going good, I mostly like it.

crpav

Personally I like the homerism, it's nice to know the guy calling the game for the home team cares about the home team, but yeah I can agree Hawk being negative or getting caught up on something is annoying. Yes we missed a double play that we should have turned, but it didn't need to be mentioned 20 times before the inning was over.

But yeah I watch other team's games from time to time as well and a couple of them are really boring to watch... heck a lot of them I feel like MLB the show shows more excitement and is into the game more than the actual live announcers lol. The only other announcers I know I don't mind are the tigers announcers, and I know I absolutely detest one of the east coast announcers but I can't recall which ones (I don't think it's the yankees, I think it's either tampa or torano... just so boring and monotone, there is a chance it was the yankees though... I don't watch much east coast baseball lol)

Ok, sorry Vin Scully is good. I should not have said anything bad about him. He is classy and I did say i liked him.

eznark

Banned
Speaking of "boring" as much respect and as much as I like Vin Scully, he is BORING! Sorry Dodger fans, just my opinion. Not saying I can't stand his announcing, in fact I do like it for his class and all, but just on a level of boring he rates highly.

Kill yourself before you infect others.

Windu

Speaking of "boring" as much respect and as much as I like Vin Scully, he is BORING! Sorry Dodger fans, just my opinion. Not saying I can't stand his announcing, in fact I do like it for his class and all, but just on a level of boring he rates highly.

crpav

Sheesh, I am sorry. I guess I didn't think my thoughts through. I should not have said boring. He has a classy, even toned announcing style.

I hope it's the pitch and cadence of his voice that puts you to sleep, because his announcing is a thing of beauty, and the way he seamlessly blends stories on players in with the play-by-play is second to none.

I sentence you to 162 games of Hawk Harrelson.

5 years? Fredi managed the Marlins from 2007 to mid-2010. How's that 5 years? Also, Fredi should receive some kind of award for lasting 3.5 seasons with the Marlins. That's like Bobby Cox's entire run with the Braves in Marlins time.

crpav

I hope it's the pitch and cadence of his voice that puts you to sleep, because his announcing is a thing of beauty, and the way he seamlessly blends stories on players in with the play-by-play is second to none.

I sentence you to 162 games of Hawk Harrelson.

Yes, like I said I really put my foot in my mouth with my post. I should not have said boring....and how can you keep quoting my ill thought out post when I changed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom