• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be unrealistic but I would like to catch at least the Reds in the win loss columns. I would like a higher seed if possible. It'll be interesting to see how often the two teams rest players, if at all.

Doogdogg

Heres-a-Jerk.gif

lol

Marlins have announced they are lowering their payroll for 2013. Loria says they aren't going over $70 million next season. Their Opening Day payroll this year was $95 million.

Loria has clarified his comments and said that the team would be willing to have payroll around $80 million next year. He said he wants to keep it in the $70-$80 million range.

They have $67.5 million currently committed to 2013, with 2/3rds of that being Josh Johnson ($13.75 million), Jose Reyes ($10 million), Mark Buehrle ($11 million), and Heath Bell ($9 million). Their arbitration-eligible players next year are Emilio Bonafacio, Donnie Murphy, Chris Coghlan, Brett Hayes, and Ryan Webb.

More Marlins drama. One day after Ozzie did an interview defending his decision to make Steve Cishek the closer, Heath Bell did an interview this morning saying Ozzie was "hard to respect."

"It's hard to respect a guy that doesn't tell you the truth or doesn't tell you face to face," Bell said. "There's probably reasons why."

"I stunk in April, plain and simple," Bell said. "I said I stunk, I worked hard, I busted my butt. I think I've had a tremendous second half. I'm not closing -- I know that. But I just kept my mouth shut because I want to regain what I had, and I feel like I can't do that."

Bell initially declined to comment directly about Guillen during Monday's interview, stating only that, "it's been an interesting year with Ozzie."

But although he did not state Guillen's name, Bell eventually offered harsh criticism, presumably directed at the mercurial manager.

"It's just one of those things that -- what you see is what you get," Bell said. "I'm not going to be two-faced. I'm not going to sneak around your back and say this and that."

Also in the Ozzie interview, he pissed off Loria with this line:

"If Jeffrey doesn't think I'm doing the job I should do ... it's not the first time he's fired a manager," Guillen told reporters Friday in New York. "Look yourself in the mirror and ask why so many (expletive) managers come through here."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...-bell-says-hard-respect-manager-ozzie-guillen

calder

Canada qualifies for the World Baseball Classic by beating Germany 11-1 in 8 innings :p

Watched the game, really happy they went through this qualifier looking like a team that deserves to play at the highest level. Ernie Whitt said he wanted to go 3 and 0 and not have a let down and other than a few runs given up to GB and Germany they did that. This game was never in doubt for sure.

Jimmy Van Ostrand joins Adam Loewen, Stubby Clapp and Adam Stern on my list of guys who really came through for Team Canada.

Man I really want to order a new cap. I had a Team Canada cap years ago but it got stolen from my car. :(

ibnLqRjHwE5DlY.jpg

And now, back to your MLB teams that have something to play for. :|

calder

It's incredibly lame that Canada had to qualify. Couldn't they find another random country to play a couple of games?

Well, losing to Italy and going 0-2 in the last WBC preliminary round has to count negatively for something. 9 fucking LHB in the lineup grumble grumble, I have to admit though every single righty in the canadian lineup during these qualifiers I sarcastically cheered. ;)

Davey Johnson said if/when the Nats clinch the NL East, he's resting his starters because he doesn't want the #1 seed. He also openly criticized MLB for putting the #1 seed in each league into such a shitty position this year for the first round.

Davey Johnson said if/when the Nats clinch the NL East, he's resting his starters because he doesn't want the #1 seed. He also openly criticized MLB for putting the #1 seed in each league into such a shitty position this year for the first round.
Selig totally screwed up with this. how the fuck do u change rules for one damn year then go back to the original?

He has a point, Girard did way better with a team of nothing then anyone every expected and he got fired for telling the owner to stop yelling at an ump.

Worst owner in the MLB by far

I seriously thought that 2006 Marlins team was going to lose 125 games. That team was Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis, and 23 minor leaguers. They amazingly finished 78-84 with a $19 million payroll. Girardi did an incredible job that year.

Fox318

Watched the game, really happy they went through this qualifier looking like a team that deserves to play at the highest level. Ernie Whitt said he wanted to go 3 and 0 and not have a let down and other than a few runs given up to GB and Germany they did that. This game was never in doubt for sure.

Jimmy Van Ostrand joins Adam Loewen, Stubby Clapp and Adam Stern on my list of guys who really came through for Team Canada.

Man I really want to order a new cap. I had a Team Canada cap years ago but it got stolen from my car. :(

ibnLqRjHwE5DlY.jpg

And now, back to your MLB teams that have something to play for. :|

Did they steal the car too or just the hat?

some of these comments make my head hurt

On that subject, it makes me laugh during Yankee games when Michael Kay gets to discussing who could win MVP if the Angels or Tigers don't make the playoffs. He's certainly correct in saying many voters will not vote for a player on a non-playoff team, but it tickles me when the first name he'll bring up as a possible winner is Jeter while flat out ignoring Cano.

On that subject, it makes me laugh during Yankee games when Michael Kay gets to discussing who could win MVP if the Angels or Tigers don't make the playoffs. He's certainly correct in saying many voters will not vote for a player on a non-playoff team, but it tickles me when the first name he'll bring up as a possible winner is Jeter while flat out ignoring Cano.

Cano has fallen off the face of the earth.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mike Trout has done it all at high level this year. Miggy should of won The MVP last year.
nah. Elsbury, Bautista (best hitter in the league that season), Pedroia, Kinsler all had better cases than Cabrera. (how the fuck did the red sox manage to miss the playoffs with Elsbury and Pedroia playing out of their minds?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom