• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Well, at least Chen did fairly well in his opening start. Too bad the O's only seemed to score when Freddy was being Freddy.

None of the people who were out protesting Ozzie at the Marlin's stadium and claiming they will boycott look like they would have bought tickets to a game anyway.

Barves! I was going to wait for two wins to jump on the Bandwagon. And then a post a few above mine made me check, and sure enough, auto renewed before Spring Training. Fuckers. Not that I would have enjoyed watching the first four games anyways.

The Mariners have a 7.1% chance of making the playoffs according to the ESPN standings - the lowest in the majors.

To be fair, Texas is probably going to give it to us hard all season.

EDIT: Actually, the Twins have a 2.9% chance of seeing the playoffs in person rather than on TV, meaning the M's are 29th in that category.

RBH

550139_10150809488198413_44351298412_11674908_104515695_n.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
The Mariners have a 7.1% chance of making the playoffs according to the ESPN standings - the lowest in the majors.

To be fair, Texas is probably going to give it to us hard all season.

EDIT: Actually, the Twins have a 2.9% chance of seeing the playoffs in person rather than on TV, meaning the M's are 29th in that category.

Pirates at 10.3 woooo

eznark

Banned
Pirates at 10.3 woooo

You may notice that even before your team plays a single game, in "smart mode" the DIV, WC, and POFF coolstats are already calculated. For football especially, there is not enough data at the start of a season to make reliable projections. As a result, we incorporate the team statistics from the previous year to estimate scores near the beginning of a season, then weigh these statistics less and less as data is accumulated for the current season. After enough games are played during the current season, last year's numbers have a negligible impact on the coolstat calculations.

In summary the "smart mode" projections shown at the start of the season are based entirely on last year's stats, but only until the first game is played of the season.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ESPN

verbum

I heard NPR's Fresh Air yesterday which had an interview with RA Dickey yesterday, really great interview. Not only the baseball stuff but the life stuff as well.
You can listen to it from the webpage or it may be up in a day or two as a podcast. Highly recommended.

Dickey is currently the only knuckleball pitcher in a current rotation. At 37, he's also one of the older pitchers in the league and has seen his career — and life — mimic the erratic trajectory of the difficult pitch he throws game after game.

In his new memoir, Wherever I Wind Up, Dickey details how his selection as a No. 1 draft choice by the Texas Rangers was sidelined by the discovery that he was missing a ligament in his right elbow, how he bounced around the minors for years, and how learning to throw the knuckleball saved his career — and helped give him the 13th-lowest ERA in the National League last season.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/10/150283169/winding-up-as-the-mets-knuckleball-pitcher

And finally the Braves win.

Doytch

Looking through last night's Jays highlights...

How about you never do that shit again, Lawrie? The dive over the camera wall...wtf.

[Oh, and loving the condensed games on mlb.tv]

Doytch

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Looking through last night's Jays highlights...

How about you never do that shit again, Lawrie? The dive over the camera wall...wtf.

[Oh, and loving the condensed games on mlb.tv]

On the subject of mlb.tv, the Xbox 360 app is great. Last year the app built in on my Samsung TV never worked correctly. It would start the game, then stop playing. The XBox app looks great, works as advertised and really convenient. XBox and my iPad work out great with a mlb.tv subscription.

Doytch

On the subject of mlb.tv, the Xbox 360 app is great. Last year the app built in on my Samsung TV never worked correctly. It would start the game, then stop playing. The XBox app looks great, works as advertised and really convenient. XBox and my iPad work out great with a mlb.tv subscription.
Yeah, my TV and PS3 are both finally getting some use with baseball back on. For whatever reason the PS3 app has way better quality and fewer hiccups than the web stuff on my Macbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom