• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Loney is such a fucking joke.

Its time to call up Jerry Sands...Or move Rivera to 1st. Gwynn at Left

7092390773_df8864197d_c.jpg

Dont know whats funnier. The miss call or the final score on the bottom ticker........:)

Stay Free Yanks.....Looking for the shutout in the Gaf League....15-1 right now...lol

Carlbeego

Its time to call up Jerry Sands...Or move Rivera to 1st. Gwynn at Left

Dont know whats funnier. The miss call or the final score on the bottom ticker........:)

Stay Free Yanks.....Looking for the shutout in the Gaf League....15-1 right now...lol

All apart of the Yankees plan to help the Twins make the postseason so we can get out of the first round.

Some attendance notes so far.

bizofbaseball.com said:
While Attendance Up, Early 2012 MLB Season Still Sees Some Lagging
Ticket & Attendance Watch
Written by Maury Brown

Let’s start with the glass half-full: attendance in Major League Baseball is much better than at this point last season. As of April 17, the league is averaging 31,965 per game compared to 29,151 in 2011, a difference of 2,814 per game. Early in the season, there has been just one weather related postponement compared to 10 last season. And, while there have been two games that have seen paid attendance under 10,000 (both hosted by the Indians), that pales to last season where there 6 below 10,000, two of which were below 9,000.

So, attendance is up. But, that isn’t to say that there aren’t lagers early on in the season. There have been 13 games with attendance below 15,000.
Here’s who hosted those games along with the number of them below 15,000:
Indians – 3
Orioles – 1
Astros – 1
Athletics – 3
White Sox – 2
Royals – 2
Mariners – 1
As mentioned, there haven’t been many rainouts, and that holds true for rain delays for these low attended games. Of those below the 15,000 threshold, only Tues, 4/10 game between Royals and A’s in Oakland sees a delay (51 min). Three of the games saw sunny or clear skies while two games were played with the roof closed (Mariners and Astros). The rest were cloudy, chilly, or rain threatened. Such is baseball in spring.

But, the biggest reason was matchups and the day of the week.

Unsurprisingly, the low attended games were on Sunday through Weds. Also, the teams that drew poorly haven’t done well in the standings as of late.

The tough one here is the Royals hosting the Tigers on Monday, 4/16. While cloudy, Verlander was the starting pitcher. That normally counts for something.

EarlyAttendLagers12-1263x313.jpg

I heard on Mike and Mike today that the Mariners had only 11,000 fans yesterday. Was there some special reason why it would be so low? I also thought that the Mariners drew well.

I heard on Mike and Mike today that the Mariners had only 11,000 fans yesterday. Was there some special reason why it would be so low? I also thought that the Mariners drew well.

and weather wasnt bad either. guess the early losses some ppl keeping away. being a weekday also hurts a bit. Cleveland has had two games under 10,000. thats crazy.

Jon

Yesterday was just a terrible day all around. It's time to FREE DOM BROWN. And before anyone says "lol Dom Brown so bad", consider this: all our left fielders suck donkey anus.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

because our biggest off season signing was Milwood..

because our biggest off season signing was Milwood..

I get that they didnt have a big offseason, I just thought that was one of the fanbases that come out and support the team no matter what. I was really surprised to hear it had gotten so low, and obviously other people were surprised as well since they did a whole radio segment on it.

Blackace

I get that they didnt have a big offseason, I just thought that was one of the fanbases that come out and support the team no matter what. I was really surprised to hear it had gotten so low, and obviously other people were surprised as well since they did a whole radio segment on it.

Seattle is that kind of town.. people love the M's but even during the Kingdom years attendance dropped until sweet Lou took them to the playoffs.. Then we were winning..

Safeco is a bit pricey, so with all the money that goes through there I think people expect more out of the front office. I would love to see this young team. I am actually very excited about the future of this team, for the first time in years

eznark

Banned
Last week the Brewers had already sold over 2 million tickets. Getting out of that fair weather town was the best thing the Pilots ever did.

ToxicAdam

I don't think Cleveland will have a franchise in 10-20 years. There will never be a new stadium and Downtown will unlikely have a revitalization to even justify one. Once Dolan sells the team, there will be a great pressure among the new owner to move the team and increase the worth of the franchise. It's pretty much maxed out as it is (already have a cable network) and it's only worth about 30 percent more than when it was sold 12 years ago.

Columbus makes the most sense, since it is the only Ohio city that is growing and you can retain a lot of your old fan base.

Blackace

Last week the Brewers had already sold over 2 million tickets. Getting out of that fair weather town was the best thing the Pilots ever did.

yeah, there sure is a lot to do in Milwaukee..

ToxicAdam

They just need one hipster to ironically pretend he likes baseball and the rest will follow. Maybe if they always wore throwback uni's, that could be the hook.

eznark

Banned
They just need one hipster to ironically pretend he likes baseball and the rest will follow. Maybe if they always wore throwback uni's, that could be the hook.

If the icanhazcheezburger nite with the Mariners didn't bring in the douches, nothing will.

Blackace

Yeah, all kinds of competing sports options in Seattle right now. Hell, they couldn't even support an NBA team and what does that take, 15,000 people?

Well if Seattle only had sports options then you'd have a point..

But really there is only so much losing people can take.. Not only that but destroying the farm system like they did a few years ago really shat on the hopes of fans..

eznark

Banned
Well if Seattle only had sports options then you'd have a point..

But really there is only so much losing people can take.. Not only that but destroying the farm system like they did a few years ago really shat on the hopes of fans..

Since we're discussing sporting events, seems like sports fans would be the relevant target. Maybe they should have a giveaway and the first 20,000 fans get a Mariners colored keffiyeh.

"There is only so much losing a team can take" is a garbage argument when you yourself just said that fans didn't even show up when they were going well.

Blackace

When is Ken Griffey Jr. Jr. going to be ready for the show?

Trey Griffey
When Trey was born in 1994, the Mariners' then-General Manager, Woody Woodward, sent him a player's contract dated 2012.Peter Gammons once wrote in a column that Trey would indeed be the major league's #1 draft pick that year. At age twelve, Trey served as a batboy for the US team in the 2006 World Baseball Classic, with his father as a player and his grandfather as a coach. When he was sixteen, Trey seemed to have more of an interest in football, playing linebacker and running back on a youth-league team that includes Shane Larkin, son of Barry Larkin, and now being recruited to play wide receiver in college. He did, however, spend his summers with his father, often being spotted on the field during batting practice and in the dugout during games. Trey Griffey currently attends Dr. Phillips High School near Orlando, Florida where he plays wide receiver for the Panthers. Trey has accepted a scholarship offer to play wide receiver at The University of Arizona beginning in fall 2012.

Wonder how Shane Larkin is doing...

Blackace

Since we're discussing sporting events, seems like sports fans would be the relevant target. Maybe they should have a giveaway and the first 20,000 fans get a Mariners colored keffiyeh.

"There is only so much losing a team can take" is a garbage argument when you yourself just said that fans didn't even show up when they were going well.

When did I say that? I said attendance was low until we finally got to the playoffs which is when Sweet Lou took us there...

Trey Griffey is stupid to want to play football. Football players are the most disposable athletes out of the 4 major sports. They don't have a long life span.

Blackace

Trey Griffey is stupid to want to play football. Football players are the most disposable athletes out of the 4 major sports. They don't have a long life span.

Ken Griffey was an icon.. Trey would have been more than a 3rd generation player he would have been the son of a legend. Pat Ewing's son is a good example.. Going to funny to see Michael Jordan's son play hoops..

But yeah he should have played baseball..

Ken Griffey was an icon.. Trey would have been more than a 3rd generation player he would have been the son of a legend. Pat Ewing's son is a good example.. Going to funny to see Michael Jordan's son play hoops..

But yeah he should have played baseball..

Just by being a Griffey he would have a guaranteed job.

Blackace

You must have missed the point. Those were the two choices because they consistently fail to sell out despite (and sometimes during!) playoff runs.

I didn't miss the point at all.. Just was said that Seattle is a better city than Cinny period.. Not only baseball city... And then all of sudden expectations were set too low..

Azrizona has that problem as well.. Even when they won it all they werent drawing well

eznark

Banned
morgan_ellis_plate_041812.gif

Much better than that crappy image. This actually shows the tag being made, as the glove reacts to contact.

I have to assume the ump thought he whiffed the tag?

Blackace

morgan_ellis_plate_041812.gif

Much better than that crappy image. This actually shows the tag being made, as the glove reacts to contact.

I have to assume the ump thought he whiffed the tag?

He stuck the glove up his ass almost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom