• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
What happened? Everyone cried at my INSENSITIVE remark the other day.

I thought yelling at Hamilton to go get drinks with me after the game was worse anyway.

Your joke was hilarious. Even more so now that I know what you look like. Don't let these touchy-feely dbags keep you down.

h3ro

to5Ep.jpg

SWAY.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just saw the Braves' lineup for tonight. Heyward's hitting 6th again. :(

He had a poor year last year... Maybe trying to protect him a little and build his confidence?

I am really following his career.. Him and Adam Jones

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just basic baseball common sense..

But how does batting 6th protect him? There isn't the pressure of hitting higher in the lineup? What makes you think Heyward feels pressure from hitting higher, or that such a feeling might have had anything to do with his struggles last year?

How does batting 6th build confidence? Wouldn't being put in a more important position and succeeding there (hint: Heyward's the best non-Chipper hitter on the team) do more for his confidence? And what evidence is there that he lacks confidence, or that that would have anything to do with his performance?

Are you trolling me?

Blackace

But how does batting 6th protect him? There isn't the pressure of hitting higher in the lineup? What makes you think Heyward feels pressure from hitting higher, or that such a feeling might have had anything to do with his struggles last year?

How does batting 6th build confidence? Wouldn't being put in a more important position and succeeding there (hint: Heyward's the best non-Chipper hitter on the team) do more for his confidence? And what evidence is there that he lacks confidence, or that that would have anything to do with his performance?

Are you trolling me?

really? Yes batting 6th is less pressure than 3 4 or 5.. Heyward wasn't the best hitter last year in the slightest a month getting his stroke down without the demands of being a primary run producer can build him up. who knows what his problems were exactly last year, but I am sure the hitting coach and Fredi have a better understanding if it was mechanics or mental then we do..

To quote Yogi Berra... Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

Jubs

really? Yes batting 6th is less pressure than 3 4 or 5.. Heyward wasn't the best hitter last year in the slightest a month getting his stroke down without the demands of being a primary run producer can build him up. who knows what his problems were exactly last year, but I am sure the hitting coach and Fredi have a better understanding if it was mechanics or mental then we do..

To quote Yogi Berra... Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

You're not doing your team any favors when you're batting one of your best hitters further down the lineup. Right now, Heyward is doing very well. First in OBP, 2nd in SLG amongst Braves regulars. Dude deserves to be placed in the top half of this lineup. If he catches a slump, then fine, push him further down. But his play right now warrants him getting more at-bats per game.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
really? Yes batting 6th is less pressure than 3 4 or 5..

But how is there any way to know if Heyward feels more pressure in those spots, or if it would affect his performance? He wouldn't come clean to the coaching staff about his own, actually physical, injuries for months; he wouldn't (and as far as I know, hasn't) say anything about feeling pressure by hitting higher in the lineup. And you might recall that he was amazing in his rookie year (a time when many players are said to face pressure) while hitting 2nd most of the time.

Heyward wasn't the best hitter last year in the slightest

He's the Brave's best non-Chipper hitter when he's healthy, which he is and has been this year, and which he was in his rookie year. Last year he was injured.

a month getting his stroke down without the demands of being a primary run producer can build him up.

What's this about a month? Fredi's said nothing I know about moving Heyward up in the lineup after a month, or any other arbitrary point in time. And he's been one of the best hitters in baseball so far. He's healthy. I think his stroke is fine. And again, "demands of being a primary run producer" is such a meaningless statement without actually being familiar with his own personal mental process.

who knows what his problems were exactly last year

... Exactly.

but I am sure the hitting coach and Fredi have a better understanding if it was mechanics or mental then we do..

Doubtful, at least on Fredi's part. And there's a difference between diagnosis and prognosis. Maybe the coaching staff has properly identified the former, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have a grasp on the latter as well.

Still not sure if you're being serious.

Blackace

You're not doing your team any favors when you're batting one of your best hitters further down the lineup. Right now, Heyward is doing very well. First in OBP, 2nd in SLG amongst Braves regulars. Dude deserves to be placed in the top half of this lineup. If he catches a slump, then fine, push him further down. But his play right now warrants him getting more at-bats per game.

I agree, but maybe they want to not rush him.. Its a long season and I am sure the handling of Jason is top priority in the Braves right now....

If they bat at 6th past the start of May and he is still producing near this level I would say they are blowing it.. But I see the wisdom in letting him settle in a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom