• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Geez, the Orioles really do know how to piss away a lead. I turn off the game after a 2-run homerun to do something else and comeback them down by 2. And the errors are unacceptable. Buck needs to do something about them stat.

eznark

Banned
I cannot wait to watch this Red Sox collapse. The condensed game will put me to sleep nicely, with a big smile on my face.

salty.jpg

The Curse of the Ryan Express - The History of No Mets No Hitters

Pre-Mets who have thrown no-hitters
Don Cardwell
Warren Spahn x2
Dean Chance
Dock Ellis
John Candelaria
Bret Saberhagen
Scott Erickson
Kenny Rogers (PG)
Al Leiter
Hideo Nomo

Post-Mets who have thrown no-hitters
Nolan Ryan x7
Tom Seaver -- This one hurts
Mike Scott -- cheat
Dwight Gooden -- This hurts too.
David Cone (PG)
Hideo Nomo -- The only pitcher to throw a Pre and Post Met no hitter.
Philip Humber (PG)

No hitters thrown by Mets farmhands
Jim Bibby
AJ Burnett

Pre and Post Mets who pitched 1 inning of combined no-no
Alejandro Pena
Ricardo Rincon
Octavio Dotel
Billy Wagner

No Hitters Thrown Against the Mets
Sandy Koufax
Jim Bunning (PG)
Bob Moose
Bob Stoneman
Ed Halicki
Darryl Kile

No hitters thrown by the Mets

eznark

Banned
He pretty clearly went around. Plus, it doesn't matter. The umpire can decide a guy "struck at" the ball whether he broke the plane or not. Its a subjective rule without definition.

He was fooled and swung at the pitch as a result. It's a strike.

There's no real rule about "breaking the plane" or anything--it's completely plausible that it looks like he took a real shot at a shitty pitch. He shouldn't have looked at that for so long, much less made half a swing at it.

Edit: Must refresh page more often

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Look, Ryan obviously tried to give him the perfect game. He could have been a spoilshit and ran to first base if he wanted. ShittyCatcher was obviously expecting him to not be a dick, which is why he slowly strolled over the the backstop anyway.

They did an expose yesterday on baseball tonight on all the recent perfect games. And they didn't even mention Galaragga.

Which is what some of us were saying last year. Lots of people were saying BUT EVERYONE WILL REMEMBER HIM FOR THE SCREWED GAME! and the reality is no one remembered him at all. MLB continues to blow when it comes to the umpires.

Enron

Banned
Wait; Pineda shut down AGAIN?

Is it safe to say the Mariners won that trade now?
it'll be the only thing they win this year

Parch

Pineda is going to get Tommy John's in the next couple of months, I can sense it.
Not for his shoulder he won't.
It would be better if it was his elbow and he could get Tommy John. They've gotten real good at fixing elbows, but the shoulder is hit and miss. Sometimes shoulder surgery works, sometimes it doesn't. There have been many, many pitching careers ended because of shoulder problems. The minor leagues is a meat market for pitchers, and the shoulder is by far the biggest career killer.

Y2Kev

I think it's pretty hilarious that they would not have done a more thorough physical examination. What is the policy with regards to MLBPA restrictions? Is a dye contrast MRI considered invasive?

Sanjuro

I think it's pretty hilarious that they would not have done a more thorough physical examination. What is the policy with regards to MLBPA restrictions? Is a dye contrast MRI considered invasive?

I'm pretty sure that even asking a player how he is feeling would be considered invasive by MLBPA standards.

h3ro

Is a dye contrast MRI considered invasive?

Not at all, there is no cutting/opening involved. It's a regular MRI with a two minute procedure prior to inject some dye into the joint prior to the study.

The patient gets taken into a suite with a movable CT machine to monitor the joint and the Radiologist injects the dye in, while taking snapshots with the CT machine to see if the dye if properly diffusing within the joint space. After that, the patient gets taken over to the MRI machine where they have a regular MRI.

The dye gets taken up by the tissue surrounding the joint capsule and lets us get a better view of what exactly is going on in there.

Very straight forward and is the standard for further investigation of an injury.

Y2Kev

Well then I can't tell you why they didn't do one. It's not like his velocity was consistent all of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom