• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc farks

Haha, Cardinals give up the Cubs 1st season series win.

cubswin1.gif

Jangocube

Banned
Orioles' prospect right-hander Dylan Bundy tossed four more hitless innings Tuesday with Low-A Delmarva.
Bundy struck out six and walked none. The 2011 No. 4 overall pick has yet to allow a hit over his first 13 innings of pro ball and also owns an impressive 21/1 K/BB ratio. He's a man among boys right now.

So damn hyped!

13 innings and not one hit, 1 walk, and 1.62 K's per inning!

Doytch

Just realised the pitching matchup for Saturday is Randy friggin Wells and Joe Blanton. Flipping my tickets for Friday's Halladay start now.

Mrbob

Average age of Cubs starting position player: 29.4 years old

lol

You're smarter than that! When 2014 rolls around and the Cubs are the king of the central and the Brewers are stuck in permanent mediocrity their average age will be a couple years lower! Most players on the roster won't even be on the team in two to three years!

eznark

Banned
You're smarter than that! When 2014 rolls around and the Cubs are the king of the central and the Brewers are stuck in permanent mediocrity their average age will be a couple years lower! Most players on the roster won't even be on the team in two to three years!

Well I included Marlon Byrd to skew the results so go get fuuuuuuuucked!

The nice thing about the Brewers is that suddenly their farm system is fucking stacked with starting pitching while the Cubs are stuck with marginal power at corner spots.

jakncoke

Banned
lol Brad Eldred is now 5th all time in minor league history for HR's. I remember at one point he was going to be the answer at 1B for us.

Mike Hessman (34) 330
Andy Tracy* (38) 296
Scott McClain (39) 292
Mitch Jones (34) 254
Brad Eldred (31) 239

Jangocube

Banned
He's in low or high A? Either way, dude needs to get bumped up a level or two.

Yeah, he will soon enough.

Considering he pitch 3-4 innings each time, not this year.

Probably this.

Our starting pitching is actually doing ok for right now believe it or not. Will it last? Who knows. Still have Tillman and Britton to bring up when they get healthy as well.

Bundy will definitely be up by mid year next year, barring injury of course. He's an absolute beast.

tc farks

The nice thing about the Brewers is that suddenly their farm system is fucking stacked with starting pitching while the Cubs are stuck with marginal power at corner spots.

Along these lines, I just ran across this tweet:
RT @BenBadler: We're now up to 119 PAs the last two years of Bryan LaHair hitting .323/.420/.586 in MLB. I'm telling you, the man can hit.

This would be a big help if LaHair can successfully move to a corner OF spot when Rizzo comes up to 1b. Rizzo is currently sporting a .373/.420/.693 line in AAA (yes PCL, still awesome).

One thing Ben Badler didn't mention, LaHair has a 29% K rate and a .435 babip. He could easily fall off the map never to be seen again. Cubs definitely have some holes to fill. One thing they do have is money. I think another ~35 mil coming off the books following this year...

The minors are very promising, besides Brett Jackson, Rizzo and to an extent McNutt; however, its mostly lower level. The new-found resources being put in player development are mostly unknown to a lot of fans, but the steps spearheaded by Ricketts are very impressive for those who are paying attention. It's undoubtedly a long term plan, but one I certainly see coming to fruition with Theo/Hoyer/McLeod running the show. Especially when they can get out of their current crap TV deal and get stupid money. In a couple years the available money and rising strength of the minors can hopefully coalesce into a championship contender.

eznark

Banned
Along these lines, I just ran across this tweet:

This would be a big help if LaHair can successfully move to a corner OF spot when Rizzo comes up to 1b. Rizzo is currently sporting a .373/.420/.693 line in AAA (yes PCL, still awesome).

One thing Ben Badler didn't mention, LaHair has a 29% K rate and a .435 babip. He could easily fall off the map never to be seen again. Cubs definitely have some holes to fill. One thing they do have is money. I think another ~35 mil coming off the books following this year...

The minors are very promising, besides Brett Jackson, Rizzo and to an extent McNutt; however, its mostly lower level. The new-found resources being put in player development are mostly unknown to a lot of fans, but the steps spearheaded by Ricketts are very impressive for those who are paying attention. It's undoubtedly a long term plan, but one I certainly see coming to fruition with Theo/Hoyer/McLeod running the show. Especially when they can get out of their current crap TV deal and get stupid money. In a couple years the available money and rising strength of the minors can hopefully coalesce into a championship contender.

1. LaHair is fucking garbage. Sorry.

2. I agree with the rest. I'm pissed that the Cubs hired some intelligent front office people as the old regime was like a year away from destroying the Cubs for another decade! Hoyer especially will be the most important man in the rebuild. That said, my God. How is the Cubs pitching cupboard so bare?

tc farks

Also, in honor of the inevitable sweep of the Cardinals shortly. Can someone photoshop Dale Sveum into the street sweeper? (RIP Lou)

SWEEP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom